Ram Air vs Cold Air Induction - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-25-2011, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Question Ram Air vs Cold Air Induction

(Google seems to index threads better than the search button does). I say that to say that in the past few days I've read as much as possible on the vararam and the cai. I've read at least two articles at least two pages long about natural aspiration which resulted in "your choice will be the best choice".

Ram Air makes sense, yet what worries me is that there appears from pictures to be a pretty major choke point where the vararam makes it's angles turn from filter into the intake. It also appears that in the first generation models there were quite a bit of issues with fitment. I haven't seen too many posts on the second generation of the vram.

On the other hand, CAI is big. The tube is big, the filter is big, the bend into the intake is nicely done, plus their is an air dam available to direct cold air and ... (actually there is a great deal through Apex this weekend).

The other issue is the JANNETTY Cold Air Intake independent tests that vram didn't participate in, and all the back and fourths between CAI and Vararam about backing published HP gains.

The other thing I had wondered if Ram Air Vs Cold Air provided different benefits through the power band (pardon my ignorance) but I had wondered if perhaps Ram Air delivered more volumes of air at a higher speed, vs a Cold Air Induction which would provide the most benefit at the beginning of a run?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-26-2011, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member

You only gain HP from ram air at very high speeds. It's like 1-2 hp max. I had a 01 WS6 and did a lot of reading about the subject.

2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS ZEX Wet Shot, Typhoon 63 series CAI, DR Formato Tuned
JULY 2013 M.O.M winner!

post #3 of 8 Old 11-26-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick View Post
You only gain HP from ram air at very high speeds. It's like 1-2 hp max. I had a 01 WS6 and did a lot of reading about the subject.
"Ram air" in automotive applications is mostly a myth/marketing phrase. The Vararam is a good intake and so is the CAI. They also produce very similar results on the dyno, the CAI might even have a slight edge with a scoop. In this case I would agree with "your choice will be the best choice".

Last edited by Apex Chase; 11-26-2011 at 03:54 PM.

post #4 of 8 Old 11-26-2011, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Chase.... decided to go with the CAI. There was just a lot more feedback available for review online that I was able to read.

Also decided to pick up a few more goodies too.

Really excited about the Borla S-Type catback. All the sound clips I've dug up sound amazing... Hurst shifter of course, and really looking on getting rid of the CAG. I had that on my old TA and it drove me nuts. The water bottle relocation kit but the water bottle motor kinda threw me for a loop. I ordered it, but wasn't sure why the replacement bottle needed a motor, and of course the CAI scoop.

Yeah, couldn't help myself. It's going to be banging. Appreciate the deals this weekend.

2010 Camaro LS3 2SS/RS
DiabloSport Trinity
Borla "S" Type Cat Back CAI Intake, Air Scoop
w/w Relo Kit, !CAGS, Hurst Shifter

Last edited by NOVA 2SS; 11-26-2011 at 10:09 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-27-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA 2SS View Post
Thanks Chase.... decided to go with the CAI. There was just a lot more feedback available for review online that I was able to read.

Also decided to pick up a few more goodies too.

Really excited about the Borla S-Type catback. All the sound clips I've dug up sound amazing... Hurst shifter of course, and really looking on getting rid of the CAG. I had that on my old TA and it drove me nuts. The water bottle relocation kit but the water bottle motor kinda threw me for a loop. I ordered it, but wasn't sure why the replacement bottle needed a motor, and of course the CAI scoop.

Yeah, couldn't help myself. It's going to be banging. Appreciate the deals this weekend.
Thank you for your order. You can reuse your stock washer pump but there is a nonfunctional plastic numb that has to be cut off. We offer a new pump as an option for those that do not want to modify their pump.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-28-2011, 09:35 AM

I'm glad NOVA 2SS posted this. I've had the same questions, and done the same research. I'm about ready to purchase as well and I'm stuck between the same two. I've heard nothing but good things about the Cold Air Inductions CAI, but I must admit I like the clean look of the Vararam. The only real thing I'm stuck on is the fact that you have to tilt the radiator back.

Has anyone had any experience with the new Vararam unit? (Sorry not trying to thread jack, but seemed pointless to start a new one when this one is so close)

2011 Synergy Green Metallic 1SS Camaro:
RS Package, White Ralley Stripes, Premium Sound.
Mods; Flowmaster Exhaust, Vararam CAI, Pfadt Sport Suspension, Budnik "Ice" Wheels, Nitto Invo tires
Upcoming Mods; Custom grill and badging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page