Golly Gee Wizz - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-28-2011, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Golly Gee Wizz

I've been monitoring this site for some time to get a grasp of good mods for my 2010 LS3 M6, I was about to push the button for 2 thousand dollar header with cats and xpipe untill I read all the trouble they are causeing with codes from o2 sensors being relocated, are there any Header with cats and xpipe with good hp & tq gains that do not throw codes???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-28-2011, 06:46 PM

Short answer, no.
The reason they throw codes, is because the long tubes move the catalytic converters farther away from heat, which causes them to get to operating temperature slower, which causes the computer to think they have failed, which then illuminates the CEL.
A tune is needed to stop the CEL from coming on, and to pass emissions and run well. Plus, due to the huge difference, a tune is highly recommended to make the engine run safer, and get more power. Every once in a long while, you'll see a car without a tune that does not illuminate the CEL for a long time. But a tune is recommended. Shorty headers will not cause the CEL to come on, but they do not produce much power either.
($2000? )

- Jeremy
post #3 of 8 Old 11-28-2011, 06:55 PM

You can go the Doug Thorley Shorty Headers. Will not produce as much HP as the long tubes but they are defintely worth there money. Had about a 7hp gain at a recent dyno with the Shortys on my V6. A guy in our club put them on his V8 and loves the sound and performance they make. And no they do not throw codes and you don't need a tune.

JANUARY 2012 MODERN CAMARO MEMBER OF THE MONTH
JUNE 2012 CAMARONEWS.COM CAR OF THE MONTH
http://5thgencarolinacamaros.webs.com/

post #4 of 8 Old 11-29-2011, 10:18 AM

Will an axle back exhaust system throw codes as well? (I.E. Flowmasters?)
post #5 of 8 Old 11-29-2011, 11:30 AM

No, an exhaust will not, unless it is installed poorly and rattles on something, then the computer may think the engine is knocking, and may cause problems then.

- Jeremy
post #6 of 8 Old 11-29-2011, 03:13 PM

I would do some more searching as there are THOUSANDS of people with success stories and no codes.......

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-30-2011, 07:29 AM
ユキヒョウ

$2k is a bit pricey. Pretty sure you could get what you want for much less than that. As for the headers and codes. As mentioned, you could do a set up with shorty headers and not throw codes but you'll only get small gains. If you get long tube headers and don't tune, more than likely, you'll get the dreaded CEL. I tried that route and did all the tricks out there that I could find and the best I could do was about 300 miles before the CEL would show up The car ran ok, but was not optimum and gas mileage suffered and really didn't notice much benefit to the headers etc. If you get a tune for the long tubes, you'll get the most out of the car, it'll run better and you'll notice the extra hp/tq.

2019 1SS/1LE
post #8 of 8 Old 11-30-2011, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

Headers made of gold? Jesus!

2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS ZEX Wet Shot, Typhoon 63 series CAI, DR Formato Tuned
JULY 2013 M.O.M winner!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page