Dealer performance exhaust upgrade? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 01-03-2012, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Dealer performance exhaust upgrade?

Does anyone have the performance exhaust upgrade the dealer installs for an L99? Is it worth a crap? Do you hear the drone? Any power or response improvements?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-03-2012, 06:50 PM

I'm interested to find this out as well.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-03-2012, 07:06 PM

I put on a corsa exhaust. It cost a little more but it has no drone at any speed. It sounds almost factory until you get on the gas. If you want no drone this is the way to go.Me and my wife drove across the country in July with our convertible with the top down. My wife was real happy we got a corsa exhaust.

post #4 of 19 Old 01-03-2012, 08:15 PM

Member of our club bought hers with a performance upgrade exhaust from the dealer before she purchased her car. It is Borla Exhaust. Sounds really good.

JANUARY 2012 MODERN CAMARO MEMBER OF THE MONTH
JUNE 2012 CAMARONEWS.COM CAR OF THE MONTH
http://5thgencarolinacamaros.webs.com/
post #5 of 19 Old 01-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member

I have an A6 as well. I added a Cat back from spintech the sound was very different I really liked it. If you are talking about adding a cat back system with an a6 the afm is something you will need to address. The sound of the afm kicking on and off nearly drove me insane. The car was tuned in a week after I did the cat back. The tune eliminated the afm. you can see nice gains from a tune and it will get rid of the sound of the afm but it will also void your warrany

The American Raicing headers exhaust does not drone at all a few of our guys have them its an excellent product plus its 100% American made kind of rare these days. It also sounds pure evil at wide open throttle

Drone didnt bother me driving around town and short trips but when I went to BBOMG 10 hr trip the drone was annoying.

Of course if you going with an axle back most of what I wrote will not be an issue

The GM exhaust I believe is made by borla

Im actually adding ARH axle back soon myself

Last edited by mucker15; 01-03-2012 at 09:14 PM.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-03-2012, 09:19 PM

I have the GM (Borla) exhaust added to my car; I'm quite happy with the 'tone'. I've not added anything but the catback but I'm quite satisfied. I've learned that I like using the manual mode all the more because I like the sound better. As far as performance, nothing really noticeable. I think ('think' as in 'you should check this with others) that mere exhaust without headers or CAI or something of the like doesn't call for any additional hp or torque or anything.

At last--Dream HAS BECOME Reality....
post #7 of 19 Old 01-03-2012, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah you wont see anything really from an axle back, a Cold Air intake I def felt a nice little bump in performace (figiure 10 hp realistically)
when I added the cold air inductions kit, The headers were a real nice bump. Although since I went with a turbo my header Cai and adm air box are all gone

post #8 of 19 Old 01-04-2012, 01:39 PM
ユキヒョウ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktos View Post
Any power or response improvements?
Just from the GMPP axle back, no. You will get a nicer exhaust note, loose about 30 lbs of weight when you remove the stock trash can mufflers, but that's about it and a lighter wallet Borla Tourning and S-type are pretty much the same units as the two GMPP ones but much less expensive. If that is all you are going to do then go for it. If you plan to do more serious mods they save your $ for later on.

2019 1SS/1LE

Last edited by Nancygrl; 01-04-2012 at 06:52 PM.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-06-2012, 08:36 PM

GM uses Borla for their exhaust upgrade. No extra HP just noise.

The best bang for your buck is to keep your factory exhaust and add a set of long tube headers with cats. ARH or Kook's 1 7/8"

Twice forever banned from C5 club and working on a 3rd
No Hope
Ratt
post #10 of 19 Old 01-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

X2 Have heard American Racing headers with stock exhaust on my buddys car sounded awesome

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page