2010 1SS looking for some info. - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 01-06-2012, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

2010 1SS looking for some info.

Hey guys, I just bought a used 2010 1ss M6 with 9,600 miles on it. I know these LS motors are pretty tride and true, I was just seeking some veteran advice as to what I should be aware of maintenance wise other than the obvious oil changes, and any other issues these cars tend to have that I could prevent. I read quite a bit just wanting to see if anything else could be brought up to my attention with this thread. The car has a GMPP axle back, and K&N CAI. Thanks for the advice

2010 1SS Black M6, sunroof (wifes ride)
2011 Laramie Megacab, 6.7L Cummins (my ride)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Nope! Nothing. Just drive it and enjoy it.

No tranny issues like the Rustang or the Z.
No killer floormats like the Toyotas.
No exploding gas tanks like the Pintos.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #3 of 24 Old 01-06-2012, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

^^^^^ Thats what I like to hear!!

post #4 of 24 Old 01-06-2012, 08:15 PM

Get rid of the K&N intake and get a Halltech.

The transmission on the M6 wasn't designed for a 4000lb car so its a little tender. Make sure you turn off the traction control when your doing hole shots. Tap it once and the traction control goes off. Tap it once and then hold down on it for 7 seconds and both your traction control and stability tract go off. Tap it twice and it goes into competition mode(don't do hole shots in competition mode)

Twice forever banned from C5 club and working on a 3rd
No Hope
Ratt
post #5 of 24 Old 01-06-2012, 09:20 PM

I have a 2011 1SS M6 and so far so good! 18 months tomorrow and 12,779 miles of pure excitement! With a few of those miles run on Zmax Dragway in Concord NC!!
post #6 of 24 Old 01-07-2012, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHD View Post
Get rid of the K&N intake and get a Halltech.

The transmission on the M6 wasn't designed for a 4000lb car so its a little tender. Make sure you turn off the traction control when your doing hole shots. Tap it once and the traction control goes off. Tap it once and then hold down on it for 7 seconds and both your traction control and stability tract go off. Tap it twice and it goes into competition mode(don't do hole shots in competition mode)
I won't be doing much racing, especially from a dig. This is my wifes DD and my play toy lol! How much with the stock clutch hold?? I'm used to big heavy diesel's that with any kind of power adder you have to get a aftermarket clutch. My first plan was to get a amsoil air filter to fit the end of the intake, I'm not a fan of K&N, especially on diesels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn29 View Post
I have a 2011 1SS M6 and so far so good! 18 months tomorrow and 12,779 miles of pure excitement! With a few of those miles run on Zmax Dragway in Concord NC!!
AWESOME!!! We traded in my wifes 10 model Corolla S for this Camaro, the Corolla was just a huge dissappoint me after riding in my truck.

post #7 of 24 Old 01-07-2012, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member

the skip shift is a nice cheap ad

and watch out for the MOD fever Its starts innocent next thing you know theres some type of forced induction on the car and you have no money

post #8 of 24 Old 01-07-2012, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Where do I get the skip shift eliminator at?

post #9 of 24 Old 01-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdawg705 View Post
How much with the stock clutch hold??
Welcome!

You will find the clutch system to be the biggest sore spot. It "shares" the fluid reservoir with the brakes and has a tendency to "stick" and not release fully when hammered on. It has synchro issues and is very dependent on full operating temps to perform properly. As far as "how much HP it will hold" goes, not a whole lot beyond factory if you are romping on it...

There are several things folks have found to help the situation (you may not find them all on this site when searching tho). Primarily, changing the trans fluid to high quality synthetic, flushing the brake fluid with the same and adding a "return helper spring" kit are the easy/cheapest things.

Then you start getting into more involved things like swapping it out for the ZR1 clutch and having the synchros changed for the new CF ones that came out as an update (you can get this done under warranty of you have any grind into 2nd and 3rd and can get the dealer to duplicate it ).

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #10 of 24 Old 01-07-2012, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!^^^^^^^^^ I've got a lot of reading to do still!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page