cats and cut outs.... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-18-2012, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

cats and cut outs....

being that im going to be having a baby this year, im wanting to make my car a bit more "child friendly". meaning, i want to drive it more with the baby and my wife, without either one going def. currently i have Borla LT headers and their s type catback system. it is an off road system. so i was planning on adding catalytic converters to help reduce the drone, but i want to put electric cutouts on it for when i go to the track(rarely). ive never had cats on any of my cars, so i dont know the first thing to look for. and ive never had cutouts. so can i get some USEFULL knowledge aout this? maybe even tell me if the cats will help with the drone enough to even pursue this.

Brixton Forged
CM10 Wheels IN STOCK!!! RF7 SOON!!!!
Camaro/M3/M4 wheels in stock High Gloss Titanium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-18-2012, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

I can tell you that you won't pick up anything ET wise. If anything the back pressure can hurt your performance.

I had them on my 2001 WS6 and I lost almost .02 in the 1/4. And this car was full bolt on, cam and sprayed.

2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS ZEX Wet Shot, Typhoon 63 series CAI, DR Formato Tuned
JULY 2013 M.O.M winner!

Last edited by Strick; 01-18-2012 at 11:32 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-18-2012, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

ET? im not into drag racing. back pressure is a good thing depending on the application. and im really not concerned about losing any power because its miniscule if at all, when tuned right..... im more concerned with the drone and noise inside the cabin right now.

Brixton Forged

post #4 of 10 Old 01-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Thought you said for the track? Anyway they are supposed to be placed close to the headers but if you are just going for an obnoxious sound then farther back will be okay. I never liked the electric ones only because if they fail and you are on the street odds are you will be pulled over. I had the manual cut out's with two butterfly wing nuts.

JULY 2013 M.O.M winner!

post #5 of 10 Old 01-18-2012, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Track yea. Like road course. Not strip. Like drag strip. And the cut outs will be used for track use. Like I said. Not the street. And obnoxious or not, the only time they will be opened is at the race track(road course)

Brixton Forged
post #6 of 10 Old 01-18-2012, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

Gotcha!

JULY 2013 M.O.M winner!

post #7 of 10 Old 01-18-2012, 03:24 PM

I have Kooks LTs with high flow cats, Borla touring cat back and NOWEEDS electirc cutouts on my 2011 Camaro 2SS. I doubt the cats will help the drone. If you have a A6, a tune will get rid of the drone.
The NOWEEDS are awsome. Very high quality. I am running them in the winter in WI and not a problem.

2SS/RS L99 A6, RotoFab CAI, Kooks LT headers w/High Flow cats, Borla CAT back, Heritage grill, SmartMirror, ABL lighting, drilled and slotted rotors w/Hawk pads, 400 watt amp.

Life is too short to drive an ugly car.
I bought mine from Camaro Scotty!
post #8 of 10 Old 01-18-2012, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Manual here.

Brixton Forged
post #9 of 10 Old 01-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Hillary has a very good set of cut outs on ENVY, maybe she is the one you need to talk to.

2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body
post #10 of 10 Old 01-20-2012, 11:45 AM

Garage
Cut out's came up in one of the other threads I recently read. I highly recommend QTP electric cut outs. Good solid construction, strong motors, durable housings etc etc. Had them on my 4th gen, worked flawlessly for years. I would say if I drove it 3 or 4 times a week, I cycled the cut out at least twice per ride. When I first put them on I would run with them open almost all the time, and closed them up if I saw a cop. Never had a problem. This will aslo allow you to go with a quieter muffler set up, since you wont have to worry about missing the loud sound when you open them up.
Cats wont do much with "drone", but should definitely clean up that "raspy" sound if you have it. As for brand, I havn't done research for the 5th gen yet, but carsound cats are highly recommended on other applications. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page