I need help on exhaust purchase decisions! - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 03-22-2012, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I need help on exhaust purchase decisions!

I'm wanting to get an exhaust for my camaro. I'm more interested in tone than volume but I do want be able to hear it. I would like headers, bigger pipes and mufflers. How much money am I looking at spending and what are some good brands low a nice low pitch purr. Also, what would be a good size pipe. i was thinkin' of spending about $1,500 but if that's not enough for what i want, i'll wait 'til i can afford more. any input would be helpful.
Thanks!

Matt-A-Tat
2012 2SS/RS ~ 1-7/8" 304 Stainless Steel Texas Speed Long Tube Headers ~ Hi-Flo Cats ~ 3" X-Pipe ~ Borla S-Type Mufflers ~ LPO Ground Effects ~ LPO Blade Spoiler ~ Side Gills ~ Flat Black Rally Stripes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
Is the $1500 supposed to cover the entire exhaust upgrade? Because that isn't enough money unless you're planning on doing all the installations yourself.

Since I don't own a V8 Camaro...I'm hesitant to give any advice but the Borla system sounds great on my Shelby and any SS. And a lot of V8 owners are very happy with their Flowmaster system...I know I love mine on the V6...more purr and less rasp.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-22-2012, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
thanks envy, what kinda money would a complete borla cost? headers and all!

Matt-A-Tat
2012 2SS/RS ~ 1-7/8" 304 Stainless Steel Texas Speed Long Tube Headers ~ Hi-Flo Cats ~ 3" X-Pipe ~ Borla S-Type Mufflers ~ LPO Ground Effects ~ LPO Blade Spoiler ~ Side Gills ~ Flat Black Rally Stripes

post #4 of 16 Old 03-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by salinasm View Post
thanks envy, what kinda money would a complete borla cost? headers and all!
That depends on soooo many factors it is difficult for me to answer. Do you want an axle-back system or a cat-back system. I'm assuming cat-back because you mentioned bigger pipes but the cat-backs run more money. And Borla doesn't make headers...I don't think anyway...so you have to decide what headers do you want and do you want ceramic or stainless steel...long tube or shorties?

I'm very happy with my JBA ceramic shorties but I had to worry about the no tune issue two years ago and I already had the axle-back when I added the headers. I would probably go with long tube headers if I had an SS though. And don't forget you're going to need a tune after you add all that stuff or you'll likely get CELs...not to mention you won't be getting the performance you paid for.

I would recommend you stick with the well established and reviewed performance parts manufacturers such as Flowmaster, Magnaflow, Borla, JBA and the other big names...and steer clear of all the cheaper crap coming from overseas because it's cheaper for a reason and much of it is substandard. I've read a lot of complaints lately from people who tried to save a few bucks just to be disappointed at the money they wasted.

And the best way to be happy in the end is to have your whole system planned out before you start. There's no reason you can't do the work a little at a time but if you don't have the big picture in mind...you'll probably make some decisions you'll regret later.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-22-2012, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm thinking about American Racing long tube headers to start with (with my stock exhaust)...then i'll come back later with pipes and mufflers. maybe i'll throw in a CAI with the headers. input?

Matt-A-Tat
post #6 of 16 Old 03-22-2012, 10:57 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
Quote:
I'm thinking about American Racing long tube headers to start with (with my stock exhaust)...then i'll come back later with pipes and mufflers. maybe i'll throw in a CAI with the headers. input?
It's a bad idea to add headers without a CAI so you're thinking in the right direction. And you're definitely going in the right order...I screwed up and did everything backwards which limited my next decisions. I still love what I have but I might have done a couple things different if I would have known what I was doing back then...lol.

And I know I've been avoiding the cost answer...mostly because I'm not familiar with the cost of the V8 stuff. But just to give you an idea...I paid just over $3000 for my system which includes the JBA short ceramic headers, Flowmaster axle-back and electrical cut-outs...roughly $1000 for each mod. But I did do it two years ago and I went through my dealership for all the work so I paid a premium to have headers installed on my V6.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-22-2012, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post
It's a bad idea to add headers without a CAI so you're thinking in the right direction. And you're definitely going in the right order...I screwed up and did everything backwards which limited my next decisions. I still love what I have but I might have done a couple things different if I would have known what I was doing back then...lol.

And I know I've been avoiding the cost answer...mostly because I'm not familiar with the cost of the V8 stuff. But just to give you an idea...I paid just over $3000 for my system which includes the JBA short ceramic headers, Flowmaster axle-back and electrical cut-outs...roughly $1000 for each mod. But I did do it two years ago and I went through my dealership for all the work so I paid a premium to have headers installed on my V6.
i hate to keep asking so many questions but what's the difference in stainless and ceramic.

Matt-A-Tat
post #8 of 16 Old 03-22-2012, 11:54 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
Quote:
i hate to keep asking so many questions but what's the difference in stainless and ceramic.
No problem...I had to ask the same questions myself or I wouldn't be able to answer you. Many people swear by each...but the reason that they started making ceramic headers is to reduce the heat. Ceramics do not conduct heat like stainless steel so they tend to stay cooler. I've read a lot of info from people who have compared running temps on both and I don't think the temp. difference is great enough to be of any real importance to the average Camaro enthusiast. I believe the ceramic headers should be slightly lighter but that's an assumption I'm making based on the fact that my ceramic blades are lighter than my stainless steel blades. (They also stay cooler and stay sharper much longer than stainless) Also...the stainless steel headers will turn blue over time from the heat which bothered me because I like pretty...lol. I was told the ceramics headers would get cloud up if I didn't polish them regularly...but they still look okay after two years and I haven't touched them yet.

I find that most old school car guys will tell you stainless is better and that's what I wanted on my car after asking around. But sometimes things change for the better and ultimately I paid good money for some professional expertise and the performance shop convinced me that ceramic was the way to go and that is a decision that I do not regret.

Last edited by Envy; 03-23-2012 at 01:46 AM.
post #9 of 16 Old 03-23-2012, 12:35 AM
Bully Proof

Garage
Oh yea...one more thing. If you want to save the most money...buy your own parts and then get someone to do the install. If you go through a performance shop they will upcharge the parts and charge a standard install price. But if you already have the parts and then price check a couple shops...which I prefer to do in person so I can see the kind of shop they run...they will recognize you as a more informed consumer and be more likely to shoot you their "best" price. And always get the quote in writing before the work begins...and if that's a problem for the shop...you're at the wrong shop.

Last edited by Envy; 03-23-2012 at 01:49 AM.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-23-2012, 02:08 AM

Definatly get the headers first. I would suggest getting high flow cats too. Headers w/off road = raspy...headers w/cats = nice n mellow. See how that sounds on the stock cat back...I think you'll be pleased with the sound. Still quiet at idle and mild eccelration, gets nice and throaty when you get on it. Then, if you dont like that sound...try a different muffler. You wont need bigger piping because you already have 2.5", which is enough for 600hp+
Bigger tubes really wont affect sound any.
You can get headers as cheap as $399 all the way up. Stainless Works, Kooks, ARH are popular (and pricey).......others, such as OBX, Stainless Works Stainless Power and TSP have lesser priced quality headers.
304 stainless is the way to go........the extra mile is getting them coated, which claimes to keep the heat in the header and not in the engine compartment.
For the big name headers....$1500 will prob only get you catted headers.....for the off brands, you could prolly do it all for the money.
I got catted OBX stainless for $569......may be made in China, but **** nice product. Easiest install I've ever had.
Good luck.

2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6, Black leather, Sun roof, OBX Headers, Halltech cai, Mike Norris tuned.

Avenging Orange, 34 years of not buying into the hype!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page