Ceramic Long Tube Headers - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-04-2012, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ceramic Long Tube Headers

Ok, I've decided i want ceramic long tube headers to start with on upgrading my exhaust system. I'm looking into American Racing Headers. They're pricey but I don't mind spending the money if they'll give the best sound that i'm after (deep low tone). So that's my question, American Racing or is there a better brand or one just as good that's cheaper. I'll spend the money if I have to but i don't want to spend stupid money! Thanks for any input!

Matt-A-Tat
2012 2SS/RS ~ 1-7/8" 304 Stainless Steel Texas Speed Long Tube Headers ~ Hi-Flo Cats ~ 3" X-Pipe ~ Borla S-Type Mufflers ~ LPO Ground Effects ~ LPO Blade Spoiler ~ Side Gills ~ Flat Black Rally Stripes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-05-2012, 04:58 AM

ARH are about the best. Pacesetters are about the cheapest.... the power output is about the same for long tube headers... one is mild steel the other is USA made certified 304 SS... You can buy some Chinese knock offs as well that will do the same and are made from Chinese 321 SS... China's forging is inferior to that done is the USA. Those are the facts. If you want the best quality header on the market you buy ARH. If you want similar power but to save money you buy something else.

Fixing the LSx world one misconception at a time
post #3 of 8 Old 04-19-2012, 04:51 PM

Kooks, I got mine installed in a matter of minutes by myself. The quality of the work was amazing. I have friends that have bought other brands and have had to modify the primary to fit around the steering shaft and others hade lots of issues with their non name brand headers.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-19-2012, 08:09 PM

There are many brands of headers......do some searching and view some of our vendor's sites. As for sound, most will sound the same. The difference will be if you go no cats (will sound raspy) or cats (more deeper sounding). Performance will be very close. Yes, if money is no issue, ARH, Kooks and Stainless Works will fit that bill and are of good quality. Stainless works has a budget header (Stainless Power) that are getting great reviews. (They are very nice, just installed a set on a buddies car last week) TSP has nice budget headers. Despite the OBX haters, they do make a decent, inexpensive header (I have them). They are 304 stainless as well. The big issue with OBX is there is speculation they copied Kooks. And lastly, Pacesetter makes good mild steel headers that have a lot of followers. You can get them coated as well.

2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6, Black leather, Sun roof, OBX Headers, Halltech cai, Mike Norris tuned.

Avenging Orange, 34 years of not buying into the hype!
post #5 of 8 Old 11-29-2015, 12:46 PM

I know from my vast experience, that cheap headers fit poorly and deliver minimal performance. The phrase "you get what you pay" for is really true with headers and if you are going to the effort to install them buy good parts. Cheap headers crack with age, leak at the flanges and tubing connections and drag on the ground. I have been dealing with headers for the last 37 years and know there is a big difference. Good headers can make up to 25 more HP than cheap ones.

Don't cheap out. Using inferior materials will get you nothing but headaches.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-04-2015, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member

ARH is ONE of the best, not THE best. There are several companies that are in league with them like Kooks, Pfadt, Stainless Works, JBA is kinda up there, BBK is pretty great, LG Motorsports, and even a few others.

Fitment with OBX is not an issue. I and several others on a different forums bought a set of OBX years ago despite all the claims that they were garbage. Not one of us ever had an issue with fitment. So far mine lasted a couple years and over 20K miles. The only headers that I ever read about that had fitment issues were no-name brand headers off of Ebay and 2 inch primary headers. Even ARH and the top name companies that had 2 inch primaries had fitment issues. It was hit or miss and mainly due to variances with headers and the engine bay.

If you're looking for a good header, all the name brand headers with 1-7/8th primaries will offer similar fitment, similar power gains, similar sound, etc. Its up to you what you decide you wanna pay for them. But you can't go wrong with any name brand. One of the more popular companies to go with are TSP. They made quite the name for themselves in quality and price offering headers of great quality for prices rivaled only by OBX. TSP was basically giving away headers at approx $450 a set. Back a couple years ago when companies like Kook and ARH made claims of having more gains than the cheaper headers, TSP challenged them many times to a dyno comparo and offered to ship their headers to any independent 3rd party dyno shop for testing against any brand. No brand took them up on the challenge. That says a lot.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #7 of 8 Old 12-04-2015, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member

Other brands to look at include SLP, Stainless Power (a sister company of Stainless Works), Billy Boat is up there, Dynatech is up there, Flowmaster just started making some headers recently, Borla, and the list goes on. There are a great many brands that all will offer the same fitment, power gains and quality at different prices. You can't go wrong with any particular brand.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #8 of 8 Old 12-16-2015, 09:40 PM

I've had slp headers on my GTO now I have ARH I wouldn't go with slp and I wouldn't do ceramic coating reason. Slp is 1 3/4 and 403 steel ARH are 1 7/8 304 stainless steel witch will never rust. As for coatings ceramic looks like garbage within the first year dust ,dirt ,water what ever gets on them burns up and turns brown. I had mine on my GTO for two years never drove it in the ran or snow and they still look awful. My ARH are not coated and I think they look nice in bare metal so far they burn to a nice color and with are cars you really don't see much of the header anyways. If money isn't a issue kooks are nice header too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	48441  

Last edited by Rocco70; 12-16-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page