Cams, cams, cams - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-04-2012, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Cams, cams, cams

So I've been searching online with no luck of finding the right cam I want. I have 2010 ss l99 engine with that stupid afm with installed obx long tube headers, cat back flowmaster American thunder exhaust, and k&n Cai. I'm looking for that nice choppy sound that you hear from the hot rods out at the track on Friday nights, and that will help keep up with them too. Some concerns I've seen is the afm, would I have to tune that out, which wouldn't be a problem? I have also seen something about picking the right one because of the l99 engine can't handle some high performance cams. And last I recently stumbled uppon vvt I think it is something about valve timing with the engine. What does that have to do with it. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-04-2012, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Also another question, should I go with a custom cam or just a shelf package? And if I do get one installed I would have to replace my valve springs and rockers right or what?
post #3 of 11 Old 06-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Well, to start with. For the type of cam you are describing, you are most likely going to need to convert to the LS3 setup and lose the AFM/VVT components and remove the AFM part of your tune. This is commonly referred to as an LS3 conversion.

There are some very advanced VVT camshafts out there (Texas Speed and MAST motorsports etc). Not sure how lumpy you can get with those and have reliability though... It is a great debate and others will chime in on them I'm sure....

The AFM part of the equation comes down to some special solenoids and lifters. The lifters are what can't handle anything aggressive cam lobe wise...

VVT is a technology that can advance/retard the camshaft rotation effectively changing the cam profile.

Hope this helps...

I am converted to an LS3 setup but I was an early adopter before the VVT cams got sorted out for FI applications. No regrets tho!

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner

post #4 of 11 Old 06-04-2012, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok, well what if i didn't want to convert to ls3? Could I get a really good vvt cam and tune out the afm with a tuner? And does the vvt limit the cars potential? Sounds like more stuff for the engine to do in turn not putting out as much, or am I wrong?
post #5 of 11 Old 06-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
The actual VVT components are separate from the AFM/DOD stuff and housed up in the front cover. The weak link is the AFM/DOD lifters. Whether you go with a VVT cam or non you should get them (the lifters) out of the equation. Valve springs and lifters are pretty much a necessity....

You really need to be sure of the company you anticipate using when going with a VVT cam. There are very specific tuning tables needed for a VVT cam to get it tuned properly.

Unless you get lucky and one of the few who has done a VVT cam finds this, you really need to talk with a knowledgeable manufacturer/tuner of a VVT cam and get the low down on them to see if it will provide what you want.

I KNOW you can get there with a non-VVT cam and conversion....

As for a custom grind, there are really only a few companies actually grinding cams. You would really only need a custom grind if you have special needs like passing smog, certain existing mods possibly and you or your tuner are experts in duration, lift, overlap etc to request a specific grind....

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #6 of 11 Old 06-04-2012, 11:30 AM

Get rid of the DOD AFM System. I've looked at a lot of custom cam setups but I like the livernois Stage 2C The best. It gets good horsepower and it's not too loud and not too Quiet.

I just gave Andy from Livernois 1/2 the payment to do the DOD AFM delete with ported heads and the stage 2C cam. I drop the car off july ninth

If you really want a custom cam patrick g from LS1TECH Is 1 of the best Custom cam spec guys out there. If you like the specs he has a shop that will custom grind cam for you

Twice forever banned from C5 club and working on a 3rd
No Hope
Ratt

Last edited by BubbaHD; 06-04-2012 at 11:37 AM.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-04-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshaulis View Post
Ok, well what if i didn't want to convert to ls3? Could I get a really good vvt cam and tune out the afm with a tuner? And does the vvt limit the cars potential? Sounds like more stuff for the engine to do in turn not putting out as much, or am I wrong?

Yes does vvt does affect performance Especially when you start adding larger cam and stiffer springs

The vvt system operates by oil pressure from the oil pump it barely keeps the cam in place with a stock cam. Just get rid of it. You can spend months on the web researching it but in the end that's what you'll do

No Hope
Ratt
post #8 of 11 Old 06-04-2012, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHD View Post
Yes does vvt does affect performance Especially when you start adding larger cam and stiffer springs

The vvt system operates by oil pressure from the oil pump it barely keeps the cam in place with a stock cam. Just get rid of it. You can spend months on the web researching it but in the end that's what you'll do
well ive seen the tsp vvt 3 cam put up some pretty good numbers with the dod delete kit
post #9 of 11 Old 06-05-2012, 05:54 AM

I really recommend taking out the L99 lifters to get the full benefit of a cam swap. You are limited to bout 6200 rpm's with L99 lifters.. This is the Dyno graph after the L99\LS3 conversion from Lethal Racing with the Night Fury cam...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	(77)(77)RICK.dsd.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	13847  

Last edited by WHY-T; 06-05-2012 at 05:57 AM.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-30-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshaulis View Post
well ive seen the tsp vvt 3 cam put up some pretty good numbers with the dod delete kit

If you drove the car you wouldn't like it no matter what the numbers say. I don't know what numbers are showing but any increase in cam height or duration you run the risk of trashing the top end. The intake valve is a fat pig, combine that with crappie lifters and you get valve float over 6000 rpm. It's not worth the risk if your investing in a cam you might as well spend a little extra and take it out the VVT System.

It's not a true VVT System anyway. You can't change the timing between the exhaust and intake valves like formula racing cars. Gm install them for fuel economy only.

No Hope
Ratt

Last edited by BubbaHD; 06-30-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page