American Racing Headers 50 State legal Shorties Install - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 06-05-2012, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

American Racing Headers 50 State legal Shorties Install

Hey everyone, Let me start out by saying as some of you may remember, I posted previously that I had a ZL1 on order which I had to cancel. Anyway since I canceled the order I got the itch to do some mods to the car I was planning to trade in, my 2012 L99 SS. My first thought was my dealer is really not to keen on mods but will tolerate some as long as it is not too over the top. At this point I only have a cold air intake. I remembered reading that American Racing Headers had developed a shortie header that they claimed to be 50 State Legal and from the looks of it, had some pretty neat features. I did some investigating and found out that they were approved by CARB or ARB. Apparently from what I could decipher the American Racing Headers passed the strict CA emission laws with flying colors.

After talking to Nick, the owner of America Racing Headers, I made an appointment to have the Shorties done. The install was fast and neat. Everything bolted up and cleared nicely. I really liked the ARH wire insulators. They dressed up the engine compartment nicely. As soon as they fired up the car I could tell right away the sound was throatier than the stock exhaust manifolds. The throttle response seemed quicker. At the time I really couldnít get on the car due to heavy rain. On my drive home, about 35 miles, my highway mileage seemed to be about the same as before, around 25.8 mpg.

As I got closer to home I encountered some dry highway roads where I went WOT and I immediately knew it felt stronger than stock. The real test didnít come till this morning where for the first time, with traction control off, it lit the tires from a standing start like never before. And it did multiple times. I didnít dyno the shorties but the gains have to be pretty substantial. Overall Iím impressed with American Racingís shorty headers. It was a mod worth doing, especially since I donít want hassles. Next up, Iím saving for the ARH full catback. I canít wait to get their X-pipe installed and Iíve heard their mufflers on other Gen 5ís. Iíll keep you all updated with sound clips and my experience with the system. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARH 1.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	13857   Click image for larger version

Name:	ARH2.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	13858   Click image for larger version

Name:	ARH3.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	13859   Click image for larger version

Name:	ARH4.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	13860   Click image for larger version

Name:	ARH CARB.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	13862  

Last edited by b.mears; 06-05-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-06-2012, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Second Day Run

So today I took the car out for a nice spin and was pleasantly surprised. Before
with the stock exhaust manifolds when I would put the car in sport mode and
start out in first I would just get a small burn out of the car. Today did
everything the same disabled traction control and stabilization. WOT floored the
car in 1st burn baby burn. Up shifted to second got the tires to chirp in second
gear.This never happened before just awesome. The ARH shorties have so far been
a real good mod for me. I intend to put up some videos of the car at idle and on
the road soon.
post #3 of 20 Old 06-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

cool! ARH is the best and they are great people to deal with.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.

post #4 of 20 Old 06-09-2012, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

Video of Shorty American Racing Headers

So as promised i have a short video of the car under some acceleration with stock exhaust. All in all it sounds pretty good for stock exhaust with the Shorty American Racing Headers.But i am still going to put the ARH catback system on when i have some extra cash

View My Video
post #5 of 20 Old 06-09-2012, 01:51 PM

Sounds good for just stock exhaust and shorties
post #6 of 20 Old 06-12-2012, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

So i have put over 100 miles on the car since the shorty install and the grin on my face is ear to ear. The headers have really woken up the car. Off the line this is a totally different car compared to the stock exhaust manifolds. My throttle response is noticeably quicker and more responsive. My highway mileage has increased to an average of 27.7 mpg. Before the header install my average was around 25.8 so this improvement is an added bonus. Next test will be a tune i have access to a hand held tuner which i will post my results.
post #7 of 20 Old 06-15-2012, 10:58 AM

Got me a set of the shorties install went fine added a GM axel back system sounds and preforms great
post #8 of 20 Old 02-19-2013, 04:54 PM

SHORTY HEADERS

B MEARS. I was just wondering if you had your car tuned after the header install . Also if you put a cold air intake and a smaller pulley to put the car back to the same boost it had before the headers went on.
post #9 of 20 Old 02-19-2013, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.mears View Post
Hey everyone, Let me start out by saying as some of you may remember, I posted previously that I had a ZL1 on order which I had to cancel. Anyway since I canceled the order I got the itch to do some mods to the car I was planning to trade in, my 2012 L99 SS. My first thought was my dealer is really not to keen on mods but will tolerate some as long as it is not too over the top. At this point I only have a cold air intake. I remembered reading that American Racing Headers had developed a shortie header that they claimed to be 50 State Legal and from the looks of it, had some pretty neat features. I did some investigating and found out that they were approved by CARB or ARB. Apparently from what I could decipher the American Racing Headers passed the strict CA emission laws with flying colors.

After talking to Nick, the owner of America Racing Headers, I made an appointment to have the Shorties done. The install was fast and neat. Everything bolted up and cleared nicely. I really liked the ARH wire insulators. They dressed up the engine compartment nicely. As soon as they fired up the car I could tell right away the sound was throatier than the stock exhaust manifolds. The throttle response seemed quicker. At the time I really couldnít get on the car due to heavy rain. On my drive home, about 35 miles, my highway mileage seemed to be about the same as before, around 25.8 mpg.

As I got closer to home I encountered some dry highway roads where I went WOT and I immediately knew it felt stronger than stock. The real test didnít come till this morning where for the first time, with traction control off, it lit the tires from a standing start like never before. And it did multiple times. I didnít dyno the shorties but the gains have to be pretty substantial. Overall Iím impressed with American Racingís shorty headers. It was a mod worth doing, especially since I donít want hassles. Next up, Iím saving for the ARH full catback. I canít wait to get their X-pipe installed and Iíve heard their mufflers on other Gen 5ís. Iíll keep you all updated with sound clips and my experience with the system. Thanks.
Okay, I haven't really had it long, just passed 3000 miles, and I drive a combination of work and errands (of course my first 650 miles were to get it home and I dont really remember the mpg). The work mileage is about 32 miles each way and the errands are about 10 miles each way - almost all of this driving is at about 63-65 mph mostly on cruise control except maybe the first 2.5 miles. Some slightly hard starts, but haven't even spun the wheels once yet. I'm only getting an average of about 19 mpg ... how the heck are you getting 25 mpg?

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #10 of 20 Old 02-19-2013, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member

im getting 19mpg also mainly hwy

2012 1SS/RS IBM M6 Halltech YellowJacket CAI, Kooks 1/7/8 LT's Corsa Sport CatBack SLP 160 Stat
426/424 rwhp/rwtq Kaltech Tune SOLD!!!!

April 2013 COTM Winner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page