BBK Short-Tube Headers... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-12-2012, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

BBK Short-Tube Headers...

Would you buy a set for $300? Or would you rather buy a set of JBA short-tube headers for $375? If so or if not...then why?

I saw a couple deals (at least what seems like a good deal to me) online and I want to know what the general idea regarding ST headers, their gains, and their worth are on this site. For now I'm gonna do the ST with stock cat-back exhaust. I am not going with long-tubes as I have no desire to tamper with the cats. Been there and done that on other cars I've had and I have no desire to do so again. Any first hand experience with either of these brands (BBK or JBA) is greatly appreciated. Do they install and fit well? Do they need to be tack or spot welded? Thanks guys!!

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-13-2012, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
No FHE with either brand but I do have the DT shorties and can tell you they make a difference. The big draw for me was the weight savings and change in exhaust tonal quality. Gets rid of all the raspy nastiness....

The primary reason I went with DT was at the time they were the only ones out that were CARB legal in CA and have the number stamped into a plate that is welded on the header itself (rather than just a card with the number on it that can get lost)....

If you are trying to stay smog legal (as I have to), I would verify before purchasing as to whether they are CARB/EPA legal and can be found on the website.....

FYI, Ceramic coating makes a HUGE difference in under hood heat and helps tremendously in keeping flow/velocity up....

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #3 of 4 Old 07-13-2012, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
No FHE with either brand but I do have the DT shorties and can tell you they make a difference. The big draw for me was the weight savings and change in exhaust tonal quality. Gets rid of all the raspy nastiness....

The primary reason I went with DT was at the time they were the only ones out that were CARB legal in CA and have the number stamped into a plate that is welded on the header itself (rather than just a card with the number on it that can get lost)....

If you are trying to stay smog legal (as I have to), I would verify before purchasing as to whether they are CARB/EPA legal and can be found on the website.....

FYI, Ceramic coating makes a HUGE difference in under hood heat and helps tremendously in keeping flow/velocity up....
I'm here in NJ and smog stuff isn't really a big concern. Still tho I wanna keep the car smog legal. I believe both of the headers I'm looking at are indeed legal. I prefer ceramic coating also. Unfortunately they both are stainless steel. Incidentally, I have no idea why BBK charges more for the stainless steel than the ceramics. Maybe because the ceramic style is heavier? Anyway, they both are an improvement over the stock manifolds. I guess it all depends on which person gives me the better price...

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!

post #4 of 4 Old 07-14-2012, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
Incidentally, I have no idea why BBK charges more for the stainless steel than the ceramics. Maybe because the ceramic style is heavier?
Most likely it is a difference in material. One they list specifically as 304 which is one of the purest/truest stainless materials. The ceramic coated ones are prob 409, maybe even mild steel...

You can always have the ones you get ceramic coated before installing.

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page