Why different engines for automatics? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 08-20-2012, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Why different engines for automatics?

Hey my fiancÚ was looking at buying the SS and I was wandering why they have a different engine for the automatic vs manual?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 08-20-2012, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Nvm answered else where. Don't know how to delete topic.

post #3 of 42 Old 08-20-2012, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member

Where was it answered at? In any case, Chevy did this same thing back with the 3RD Gen F-Body cars. But back then the autos got the better engine. The autos got the 5.7 TPI while the manuals got the 5.0 TPI. I think Chevy did this to keep the manuals from being too close in competition to the Vettes. They got away from that thinking with the 4TH Gen cars. So as far as the new ones are concerned, I have no idea why they would do the exact opposite this time around. I mean, Ford didn't handicap the auto Mustang, at least not to my knowledge.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!

post #4 of 42 Old 08-20-2012, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Another member told me the L99 and LS3 were basically the same engine just different output? He answered it one my "new member" post.

post #5 of 42 Old 08-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

There are a few differences. The cam and compression ratio are different. Among other things...

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #6 of 42 Old 08-21-2012, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member

Chapel- The reason that the 3rd Gen Camaro Manuals came with the 5.0 TPI is because of the fact that the T5 couldn't handle the torque of the 5.7. Factory horsepower was very close, as you could order 3 different type of 5.0, the biggest one was coded 5.0HO. It was rated at 220 HP while the 5.7 was around the neighborhood of 230HP, but it was the torque that made the difference.

In the 4th Gen Camaro, Chevrolet didn't use the T5, so the manual could handle the same amount of power and torque as the auto.

Point is; there has always been a reason why Chevrolet chose one engine/transmission combo over the other. For the 5th Gen, I have no idea why, but I'm sure there is a specific reason for it.
post #7 of 42 Old 08-21-2012, 07:32 AM
ユキヒョウ

5th gen automatics have AFM (active fuel management ) & DOD (displacement on demand) to meet gas mileage requirements. So they while they might be similar enigines, there are plenty parts that are different and end up with slightly lower hp and different engine designation.

2019 1SS/1LE
post #8 of 42 Old 08-21-2012, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member

The LS3 and L99 are basically the same. The L99 has AFM to improve mpg so it avoids the gas guzzler tax. The manual trans has skip shift for the same reason. The slightly lower hp is made up for with more aggressive gearing in the auto trans...so 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are pretty even.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #9 of 42 Old 08-21-2012, 09:26 AM

also i think different cam smaller heads and pistons and tune down from factory

"Spending money I don't have, to buy parts I don't need, to impress people I don't know!" -Jenkins
post #10 of 42 Old 08-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky6702 View Post
Chapel- The reason that the 3rd Gen Camaro Manuals came with the 5.0 TPI is because of the fact that the T5 couldn't handle the torque of the 5.7. Factory horsepower was very close, as you could order 3 different type of 5.0, the biggest one was coded 5.0HO. It was rated at 220 HP while the 5.7 was around the neighborhood of 230HP, but it was the torque that made the difference.

In the 4th Gen Camaro, Chevrolet didn't use the T5, so the manual could handle the same amount of power and torque as the auto.

Point is; there has always been a reason why Chevrolet chose one engine/transmission combo over the other. For the 5th Gen, I have no idea why, but I'm sure there is a specific reason for it.
Thanks for the info. Yea those 700-R4 transmissions were pretty solid. I thought I read somewhere that the LS3 engine will not mount up to the L99 transmission or something like that. I don't know. But still if that were the case then they could have still made the L99 have the same output. I doubt that these days they make a trans that can't handle an extra 26 hp. Maybe they just did it for the heck of it...

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page