BBK Long Tubes - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-20-2012, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

BBK Long Tubes

I found a set of BBK headers on phastek performance for 499.99 (chrome no cats) other than not rusting, what are the advantages to having stainless or ceramic vs chrome? Does it really effect the sound that much?

Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-20-2012, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

And would there be any advantage to run a cat and a muffler other than its quieter? And legal in Cali? I'm in Kansas so no cats needed. My buddy has a 5.0 with long tubes and full 3" exhaust with just designators and its loud but I like it.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-20-2012, 03:23 PM

Garage
Far as I know there's not much if any difference in sound. Differences will be in apperance and heat. Stainless and chrome will discolor, ceramic will maintain its color much better and help to keep the heat in the exhaust and not you engine comartment.
Also as far as I know Kansas doe's require cats. Their veiw is (like Mo.) if it came with cats you have to maintain working cats. The only difference is you don't have to have yours inspected regularly like we do across the state line.

Last edited by maroluvr; 08-20-2012 at 03:28 PM.

post #4 of 10 Old 08-20-2012, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroluvr View Post
Far as I know there's not much if any difference in sound. Differences will be in apperance and heat. Stainless and chrome will discolor, ceramic will maintain its color much better and help to keep the heat in the exhaust and not you engine comartment.
Also as far as I know Kansas doe's require cats. Their veiw is (like Mo.) if it came with cats you have to maintain working cats. The only difference is you don't have to have yours inspected regularly like we do across the state line.
Along witht this I think ceramics are a bit heavier. Chrome gets hot as heck. IMO T-304 SS is the best way to go. Even with discoloration it will look nicer than OEM manifolds. If you look on Ebay you can find the better quality BBK LTs in SS or Ceramic for a little more than the price you listed from Phastek.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #5 of 10 Old 08-20-2012, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Haha, I was a cop for awhile in ks, we do not get our vehicles inspected unless you buy one from out of state or in state that came from another..however I was planning on running chrome. Is the heat enough to cause problems? I have already noticed that the engine bay gets pretty warm anyways. Not too worried about discoloration, anything looks better than the pop metal heaver pieces of crap that come factory. And thanks for the insight
post #6 of 10 Old 08-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member

Well you could always use header wrap also. But I personally would stay away from chrome headers...unless you can get them for a killer deal.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #7 of 10 Old 08-21-2012, 09:52 AM

Wow I think we may think a like.

I was also thinking about getting thoes and was abut pull the trigger but 2 days before I did I was doing research like crazy...anyways I have not got headers yet but very soon.
Check out these
Texas Speed and Performance - Texas Speed & Performance 304 Stainless Steel 1-7/8" Long Tube Headers with Extensions, 2010+ Camaro SS 6.2L

Ive decided these will be the one

"Spending money I don't have, to buy parts I don't need, to impress people I don't know!" -Jenkins
post #8 of 10 Old 08-21-2012, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

I love Texas speed. Lol and we do apparently. I was looking into kooks stainless 2 inch as well check out the cartek video on YouTube 102mm intake
post #9 of 10 Old 08-22-2012, 08:20 AM
www.camaroscotty.com

Garage
I love my BBK's.... But expect to spend money on a trifecta tune, unless you like the gas out the tailpipe smell....

We'll let you know how its like with a supercharger in spring :-)

http://www.camaroscotty.com
YAHOO IM:
CamaroScotty / FACEBOOK: Camaro Scotty
post #10 of 10 Old 09-27-2012, 08:53 AM

These would look great on your car!

Kooks 6512 2" x 3" Stainless headers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kooks-6512.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	14781  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page