Drop in filter flow test shoot out! - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
JacFab.com
 
RacnJsn95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 428
 
Drop in filter flow test shoot out!

There seems to have been a lot of interest recently for those that don't want to get a cold air intake system, and would rather keep their stock airbox and run an aftermarket filter. Since I just so happen to have what I deem every filter worth testing, and the equipment to perform the test, I've decided to do a drop in filter flow comparison.

PLEASE, let's not turn this into a CAI's are better than the stock box thread, or this CAI is better than that CAI, there are probably hundreds of threads discussing aftermarket intakes, so please do a search if you're interested in doing some research on anything other than the stock airbox.

This test was performed on our in house Super Flow flowbench through the stock airbox, the stock intake tube, and snorkel (unless noted without the snorkel). The weather conditions are listed on the spreadsheet picture below. All of the filters were tested in about an hours time, so the weather shouldn't have changed much. To attempt to simulate the box & snorkel in the car, I took a measurement of the distances from the opening of the snorkel to the core support, and fabricated a plate with a similar contour to what's in front of the snorkel and mounted it to the snorkel the same distance as measure in the car. And now... The numbers, and other random filter info:



The box w/o filter, and box w/o filter & snorkel number are in red to kind of separate them from the rest. The box w/o filter & snorkel percentage difference is compared to the box w/o filter w/ snorkel as it was the fairest way I could figure to compare.

The fit & finish is just my opinion based on the construction, and quality appearance of the filters compared, and how good they fit in the stock airbox. The filter media is a combination of what I could find either on the filter manufacturers website, and/or hours of searching the internet; it may not be entirely accurate.

I had originally planned to show the prices of each filter from the manufacturer, and the cost per CFM gain, but I am not allowed to post pricing, so it had to be removed. You can get any of these filters direct from the manufacturer, although it may not be the cheapest place to get them. We do offer S&B drop in filters on the JacFab website w/ free shipping to the lower 48 on all current S&B stock for those that are interested...

Now onto a little less scientific test. A lot of people say they don't trust a filter they can see through. Within reason, I agree to that, however some of the filters tested do have over a 99% filteration efficiency rating as reported by their manufacturer. I did not post efficiency ratings of the filters because I could not find most of the ratings listed anywhere. For this next "test", I held each filter up to the sun to see how much light they let through, pictured below:



As you can see the highest flowing filter in this test was also the most transparent. And the worst flowing filters let through almost no light. Surprising was the S&B with came in at #2 on the flow test, lets little to no light through.

I had planned to try to rig up some filtration test, but I don't think it could be controlled enough to be accurate. If you are concerned with filtration, please do some research before you decide on a filter.

This test was performed to the best of my ability, and may not be entirely accurate, but the machine sucks what it can suck, and the sun is the sun. I hope some of you out there find this useful. That said, as I have mentioned before, the stock filter IS a restriction. With a better flowing filter, the stock box does flow pretty good IMO. It should also be noted that ALL of these filters have the potential of flowing much more outside of the stock box, and the box is still a restriction, the stock box will not out flow any cold air intake regardless of filter choice. If you want a cold air intake, do your research and get one. If you want to keep your stock box, by all means, take it to its limits!

*NOTE* Again, this test was not performed through a head, intake, and throttle body combo, and the flow numbers are reported at 28" of water, so they will most likely read higher than CFM numbers you find on the internet for whatever you product you may currently have. This test serves to compare these filters in the stock airbox, stock tube, ONLY, and these numbers are only accurate in THIS test and should not be compared to anything else you may see unless they test was performed in the same manner.

Keep it clean, and discuss.


Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro
Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket, Dynomax Axleback, JacFab CAI System, JacFab HFC's, Bo White ported TB.
RacnJsn95 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Premium Member
 
patriotpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,222
  
Garage
Great writeup! Thanks!
No snake oil here, just facts, and on a real flowbench, no less!

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
patriotpa is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 1,174
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
There seems to have been a lot of interest recently for those that don't want to get a cold air intake system, and would rather keep their stock airbox and run an aftermarket filter. Since I just so happen to have what I deem every filter worth testing, and the equipment to perform the test, I've decided to do a drop in filter flow comparison.

PLEASE, let's not turn this into a CAI's are better than the stock box thread, or this CAI is better than that CAI, there are probably hundreds of threads discussing aftermarket intakes, so please do a search if you're interested in doing some research on anything other than the stock airbox.

This test was performed on our in house Super Flow flowbench through the stock airbox, the stock intake tube, and snorkel (unless noted without the snorkel). The weather conditions are listed on the spreadsheet picture below. All of the filters were tested in about an hours time, so the weather shouldn't have changed much. To attempt to simulate the box & snorkel in the car, I took a measurement of the distances from the opening of the snorkel to the core support, and fabricated a plate with a similar contour to what's in front of the snorkel and mounted it to the snorkel the same distance as measure in the car. And now... The numbers, and other random filter info:



The box w/o filter, and box w/o filter & snorkel number are in red to kind of separate them from the rest. The box w/o filter & snorkel percentage difference is compared to the box w/o filter w/ snorkel as it was the fairest way I could figure to compare.

The fit & finish is just my opinion based on the construction, and quality appearance of the filters compared, and how good they fit in the stock airbox. The filter media is a combination of what I could find either on the filter manufacturers website, and/or hours of searching the internet; it may not be entirely accurate.

I had originally planned to show the prices of each filter from the manufacturer, and the cost per CFM gain, but I am not allowed to post pricing, so it had to be removed. You can get any of these filters direct from the manufacturer, although it may not be the cheapest place to get them. We do offer S&B drop in filters on the JacFab website w/ free shipping to the lower 48 on all current S&B stock for those that are interested...

Now onto a little less scientific test. A lot of people say they don't trust a filter they can see through. Within reason, I agree to that, however some of the filters tested do have over a 99% filteration efficiency rating as reported by their manufacturer. I did not post efficiency ratings of the filters because I could not find most of the ratings listed anywhere. For this next "test", I held each filter up to the sun to see how much light they let through, pictured below:



As you can see the highest flowing filter in this test was also the most transparent. And the worst flowing filters let through almost no light. Surprising was the S&B with came in at #2 on the flow test, lets little to no light through.

I had planned to try to rig up some filtration test, but I don't think it could be controlled enough to be accurate. If you are concerned with filtration, please do some research before you decide on a filter.

This test was performed to the best of my ability, and may not be entirely accurate, but the machine sucks what it can suck, and the sun is the sun. I hope some of you out there find this useful. That said, as I have mentioned before, the stock filter IS a restriction. With a better flowing filter, the stock box does flow pretty good IMO. It should also be noted that ALL of these filters have the potential of flowing much more outside of the stock box, and the box is still a restriction, the stock box will not out flow any cold air intake regardless of filter choice. If you want a cold air intake, do your research and get one. If you want to keep your stock box, by all means, take it to its limits!

*NOTE* Again, this test was not performed through a head, intake, and throttle body combo, and the flow numbers are reported at 28" of water, so they will most likely read higher than CFM numbers you find on the internet for whatever you product you may currently have. This test serves to compare these filters in the stock airbox, stock tube, ONLY, and these numbers are only accurate in THIS test and should not be compared to anything else you may see unless they test was performed in the same manner.

Keep it clean, and discuss.
so whats the HP pickup of each filter, if any?
Vintage-Iron is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 06:14 PM
Premium Member
 
JWD621's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hurst, Texas
Posts: 4,354
 
Garage
Hey thanks for excellent information, this will help many who want to change out filters by brand and type. Much appreciated!


2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body
JWD621 is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
JacFab.com
 
RacnJsn95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 428
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage-Iron View Post
so whats the HP pickup of each filter, if any?
Unfortunately that's the one thing that I didn't do... It would cost far too much money to test all the filters on the dyno, especially when some of them are so close together in flow that it might even be a waste of time... I couldn't see spending another 3 or so hours on a dyno and a minimum of 21 pulls to show hp results...

There are some dyno results out there for a K&N drop in, you just have to search around. Also, unless the plan falls through, a customer of mine has agreed to do a stock filter vs S&B filter dyno test, so in the near future we can at least see the outcome of that.

However, traditionally, more flow equates to more HP, so you be the judge from the flow numbers.


Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro
Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket, Dynomax Axleback, JacFab CAI System, JacFab HFC's, Bo White ported TB.
RacnJsn95 is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member
 
Chapel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,690
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
Unfortunately that's the one thing that I didn't do... It would cost far too much money to test all the filters on the dyno, especially when some of them are so close together in flow that it might even be a waste of time... I couldn't see spending another 3 or so hours on a dyno and a minimum of 21 pulls to show hp results...

There are some dyno results out there for a K&N drop in, you just have to search around. Also, unless the plan falls through, a customer of mine has agreed to do a stock filter vs S&B filter dyno test, so in the near future we can at least see the outcome of that.

However, traditionally, more flow equates to more HP, so you be the judge from the flow numbers.
You better be careful...Axis might have followed you over here, haha!!

I'm actually getting dynoed some time next week. Got my headers today, installing them by the weekend, and dyno next week. When I go I'll have a run with the stock filter in to see what the difference is. I personaaly think the K&N is a good 5-10 RWHP...judging by what I felt when I put the OEM filter in a few days ago.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
Chapel is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 09-05-2012, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
JacFab.com
 
RacnJsn95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 428
 
That would be cool if you could run the stock filter vs the K&N... I'm sure people would love to see it. Remember you've got to do a minimum of 3 pulls with each change you do, and hopefuly get at least 2 runs that match or are very close to have a good comparison of if you actually gained anything.


Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro
Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket, Dynomax Axleback, JacFab CAI System, JacFab HFC's, Bo White ported TB.
RacnJsn95 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome