LS9 Supercharger Upgrade for ls3 - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 11-09-2012, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
kti

LS9 Supercharger Upgrade for ls3

Gm sells the LS9 supercharger upgrade for the ls3 camaro. The supercharger is in stock but you need the accessories drive belt system as well but it is now discontinued...does anyone know why? And is there an aftermarket drive system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 11-14-2012, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
kti

Maybe the cadillac CTS-V pulleys might work? Am i the ONLY one who wants this supercharger?
post #3 of 24 Old 11-15-2012, 11:18 AM

double post..

2009 Chevy Colorado 3LT with our "Arachnid" 6.2l power train swap.. lots of fun torque

2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS
tuned and freq mod mufflers.

post #4 of 24 Old 11-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kti View Post
Maybe the cadillac CTS-V pulleys might work? Am i the ONLY one who wants this supercharger?
I don't know all the specifics of this kit and what it includes. But I would look into whether or not a warranty is offered. Most aftermarket companies are offering at least a 36month/3 year powertrain warranty if you have the kit installed at a qualified shop. If the GM kit does nothing but void your warranty then I would be very cautious or avoid it altogether..

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #5 of 24 Old 11-15-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
I don't know all the specifics of this kit and what it includes. But I would look into whether or not a warranty is offered.
If the GM kit does nothing but void your warranty then I would be very cautious or avoid it altogether..
It is illegal for any car company to revoke any sort of warranty based soley on the installation of aftermarket/performance enhancing components. only if the person offering the warranty can conclusively prove that the cause for repairs were a direct result of the said component.
there are more details worth mentioning but i simply do not have time at the moment.
See the Magneson Moss Act for detailed information.you would be surprised at how many warranty claims were unlawfully denied for this reason.

2009 Chevy Colorado 3LT with our "Arachnid" 6.2l power train swap.. lots of fun torque

2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS
post #6 of 24 Old 11-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareBreed View Post
It is illegal for any car company to revoke any sort of warranty based soley on the installation of aftermarket/performance enhancing components. only if the person offering the warranty can conclusively prove that the cause for repairs were a direct result of the said component.
there are more details worth mentioning but i simply do not have time at the moment.
See the Magneson Moss Act for detailed information.you would be surprised at how many warranty claims were unlawfully denied for this reason.
I am fully aware of the terms of my personal service contract...and I suggest any person interested in modifying their vehicle to become familiar with their service contract as well. I did not mean that if you buy a supercharger and install it, that your contract and all contracts are immediately voided. I mean that if you buy a supercharger and install it and the engine later suffers mechanical failure...the contract provider is not responsible for the repairs. So simply put, it voids your warranty. I didn't think I had to spell it out specifically since this has been discussed multiple times on this and every vehicle related forum.

Some aftermarket supercharger companies offer powertrain warranties as long as certain conditions are met in the purchasing, installation, and tuning. These warranties cover failures that are directly related to the supercharger. That is what makes the aftermarket kits more attractive to me. That I can purchase a Vortech kit and they will cover the cost of an engine failure as long as I stay within the terms of the agreement.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #7 of 24 Old 11-17-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
I am fully aware of the terms of my personal service contract...and I suggest any person interested in modifying their vehicle to become familiar with their service contract as well. I did not mean that if you buy a supercharger and install it, that your contract and all contracts are immediately voided. I mean that if you buy a supercharger and install it and the engine later suffers mechanical failure...the contract provider is not responsible for the repairs. So simply put, it voids your warranty. I didn't think I had to spell it out specifically since this has been discussed multiple times on this and every vehicle related forum.

Some aftermarket supercharger companies offer powertrain warranties as long as certain conditions are met in the purchasing, installation, and tuning. These warranties cover failures that are directly related to the supercharger. That is what makes the aftermarket kits more attractive to me. That I can purchase a Vortech kit and they will cover the cost of an engine failure as long as I stay within the terms of the agreement.

Chapel...
I was not negating your statement. I simply added to it. If I came across as disputing this then I am sorry.
Yes the topic has been covered extensively but that does not mean that it's not worth mentioning here just as well. Somebody that happens upon this thread may not be familiar with the laws pertaining to warranties. And the misconception that these mods void your warranty are rampant everywhere and they need to be shutdown for the sake of gear heads everywhere.
warranties are honored by the installer that simply chooses to follow the ruling of the mag moss act. You said it yourself. the requirements for tuning and installation must be met for the warranty to be honored. the installer also usually end up handling the warranty claim yes? i can get a 3 yr 40k warranty from **** near anywhere these days. So yes they have a very nice attractive marketing tactic for providing a product that is already great.
Who is to say there is not a gm blower based kit that offers a similar warranty coverage that you just described?

I have read lots of these threads from the shadows before I decided to join in and have always found your post insightful and well articulated.. I have respect for your intellect. I would greatly like to keep that intact. I do not see any benefit to arguing on the Internet so I will engage in no more. My points are quite valid and I see no reason that I should have to defend this or any statement I have put forth in this thread.

2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS

Last edited by NightmareBreed; 11-17-2012 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Edit
post #8 of 24 Old 11-18-2012, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareBreed View Post
Chapel...
I was not negating your statement. I simply added to it. If I came across as disputing this then I am sorry.
Yes the topic has been covered extensively but that does not mean that it's not worth mentioning here just as well. Somebody that happens upon this thread may not be familiar with the laws pertaining to warranties. And the misconception that these mods void your warranty are rampant everywhere and they need to be shutdown for the sake of gear heads everywhere.
warranties are honored by the installer that simply chooses to follow the ruling of the mag moss act. You said it yourself. the requirements for tuning and installation must be met for the warranty to be honored. the installer also usually end up handling the warranty claim yes? i can get a 3 yr 40k warranty from **** near anywhere these days. So yes they have a very nice attractive marketing tactic for providing a product that is already great.
Who is to say there is not a gm blower based kit that offers a similar warranty coverage that you just described?

I have read lots of these threads from the shadows before I decided to join in and have always found your post insightful and well articulated.. I have respect for your intellect. I would greatly like to keep that intact. I do not see any benefit to arguing on the Internet so I will engage in no more. My points are quite valid and I see no reason that I should have to defend this or any statement I have put forth in this thread.
Thanks for the compliments. I didn't exactly explain what I meant in my first post...concerning the warranty. So I could see where someone would get the wrong impression. I'm glad you clarified. Thanks.

And I'm not 100% sure but I don't think the installer handles the warranty. Tehy are just the ones contracted by the manufacturer to do the labor. And it's usually the most reputable shops. The supercharger manufacturer is the one who handles actual claim. They just dictate that you have to go to one of their recommended shops. There are 2 here in NJ I believe. And some of the warranties can be extended. I'm pretty sure I saw up to 5 years and 60,000 miles. The down side is that the cost of the warranty (regular and extended) are added to the cost of the supercharger/install/tuning. But if some kid was to go and get the warranty and then later decide to get LT headers or pulley it down...then that warranty would be voided. And if his engine had some mechanical failure, then he'd be S O L because the vehicle warranty provider would probably laugh in his face. There are a lot more details and each manufacturer has different terms. But the basics are all similar.

And perhaps there is a GM blower that provides the same warranties. I just haven't seen it. I was actually about to buy a blower for my car recently. I downloaded and read the warranty info from several different companies. I couldn't find anything for the GM based kits. Which is why I wrote them off. That was an issue with Ford some years ago. They offered blowers for the Mustang GT but didn't offer any warranty even if you had it dealer installed.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #9 of 24 Old 06-06-2013, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
kti

Hey guys IDGAF! I wanted info on why they discontinued it. My cars paid off and my i dont care about my warranty
post #10 of 24 Old 06-07-2013, 03:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kti View Post
Hey guys IDGAF! I wanted info on why they discontinued it. My cars paid off and my i dont care about my warranty
Where ya been dude?! I don't know why it was discontinued. Heck I didn't even know it was discontinued. Good luck tho. It may be a bit rough trying to find all the parts you need in an affordable manner.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page