Rebuild on my Whipple'd LS3 has begun. - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-15-2013, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Rebuild on my Whipple'd LS3 has begun.

Here's my LS3 at Pfaff Engines in Huntington Beach CA awaiting its rebuild.

Engine was dropped by the guys at Cunningham Motor Sports in Murietta CA and will be tuned by Ryne once refitted. They're also fitting an ADM twin fuel pump kit and rear bushes while they're at it and have been excellent in helping select the right parts and configuring everything working alongside the guys at Pfaff.

Parts list includes: Callie Rods, Moly Pistons and Rings, ARP Mains Bolts and Head Studs, Comp Cams Rough Idle Blower Cam, Brian Tooley Valve Springs, Push Rods, LS7 Lifters, CNC'd Heads, 102mm Throttle Body, Whipple 8 Rib Pulley Kit with 3.5" Blower Pulley and Innovators West Balancer, Melling High Volume Oil Pump.

Existing includes: Whipple, FIC 80lb Billet Tip Injectors, RX Monster Catch Can, Mantic Clutch, GTO Clutch Reservoir, Tik Performance Clutch Line and Remote Bleeder, CAI Intake, ADM Race Scoop, 1" 7/8 Headers, 3" Exhaust, Hurst Shifter.

Pfaff have been building some of the toughest racing marine, trophy truck and sand buggy engines in SoCal for 40 years! My engine is tame compared to the 1600 + HP things they build. If you like serious horsepower check out their FB page: http://www.facebook.com/PfaffandBaca?ref=ts&fref=ts

Anyone that can build an engine of that sort of power that can sit on redline for long periods of time and withstand the harsh conditions pounding through the ocean or over sand dunes have my vote of confidence!

Throw in the on-street expertise of CMS and Ryne's excellent tuning abilities and I'm grinning from ear to ear. Can't wait!

782.5rwhp 680 rwtq 2011 Inferno Orange 2SS, STRUT 22" Icon5 Rims & Grille Kit, Mahle Pistons, Manley Rods, Custom Comp Cam, ARP Bolts, Melling HV Oil Pump, Whipple SC, 3.5" Pulley, 8 Rib Pulley Kit, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Balancer, LT Headers, Borla 3" Exhaust, ADM Fuel Pump, 80lb/hr FIC Billet Tip Injectors, RX Monster Catch Can, CAI Intake, ADM Race Scoop, Mantic 9000 Series Clutch, Hurst Shifter, Eibach Springs. Motor built by PFAFF Engines. Fitted & tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.

Last edited by Simon.w; 01-16-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-16-2013, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

They found my problem ...

This on one piston and 3 others that are worse:

782.5rwhp 680 rwtq 2011 Inferno Orange 2SS, STRUT 22" Icon5 Rims & Grille Kit, Mahle Pistons, Manley Rods, Custom Comp Cam, ARP Bolts, Melling HV Oil Pump, Whipple SC, 3.5" Pulley, 8 Rib Pulley Kit, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Balancer, LT Headers, Borla 3" Exhaust, ADM Fuel Pump, 80lb/hr FIC Billet Tip Injectors, RX Monster Catch Can, CAI Intake, ADM Race Scoop, Mantic 9000 Series Clutch, Hurst Shifter, Eibach Springs. Motor built by PFAFF Engines. Fitted & tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member

So how much hp were you pushing before the engine failed?

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!

post #4 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, need to know.. Don't want my motor looking like that.

post #5 of 12 Old 01-23-2013, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
So how much hp were you pushing before the engine failed?
It's not about the HP ... it's the tune. There are guys out there at 800rwhp on stock internals BUT they are well tuned.

I was at 588.5rwhp after a tune, HOWEVER I'm sure I did the damage two years ago running the canned tune that came with the blower. I was running a CAI and headers ... rather than the airbox mods and stock exhaust it's calibrated for.

My own stupid fault.

post #6 of 12 Old 01-23-2013, 02:18 PM

A tune is the most important part.

Daily Driver, 13', LFX, 6L50, 1LT, Summit White (GAZ) Camaro, [email protected]
Weekend Racer, 99', LD9/LG0/W41, 4T40E, Aquamarine Z24, Rebuild/upgrade In-Process, 13s here I come
post #7 of 12 Old 01-25-2013, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

OK ... So I have my new clutch on the way.

Mantic 9000 Series Twin Disc System. AWESOME kit!

Check out their website:

Performance Clutches | Twin Disc

post #8 of 12 Old 02-19-2013, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Just had word that my LS3 is hitting the Pfaff engine building room today or tomorrow ... should be ready by the end of this week or early next week. Then its over to CMS to be refitted along with the Mantic 9000 Series twin plate clutch, ADM twin fuel pump kit and a tune by Ryan. Can't wipe the smile off my face! Just in time for the beginning of cruise season!

post #9 of 12 Old 03-01-2013, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

The wait is over ... Pfaff Racing engine done!

Now over to Ryne and the team at CMS!

post #10 of 12 Old 03-04-2013, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Here is one of the PFAFF coil covers that are going on. Will look great with the polished Whipple!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page