bbk or vmax - Page 3 - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 Old 06-30-2014, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member

Trust me, I'm no expert either. But I have seen dynos which showed gains. In fact, I posted the links on another thread here the other day. Three links each with positive results from the swap. One of the links show the dyno with the stock TB, then the ported TB install, and then the dyno with it installed. And there are many other links out there that shows positive gains.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 Old 06-30-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
Trust me, I'm no expert either. But I have seen dynos which showed gains. In fact, I posted the links on another thread here the other day. Three links each with positive results from the swap. One of the links show the dyno with the stock TB, then the ported TB install, and then the dyno with it installed. And there are many other links out there that shows positive gains.
The PTB may very well offer gains, I honestly don't know and have no way to test it. My comments were mainly directed at the "venturi effect" and not the PTB itself. I put mine on a car that has a 4000 stall converter, so that may be affecting my sensation of gains/throttle response. I still have it on my car, so I didn't detect any negatives for certain. My timeslips from the strip are difficult to compare with and without because of so many variables, but I didn't notice a discernible change either way.

I must have missed those links you posted, I'll try to look for them.
post #23 of 31 Old 06-30-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Some of your comparisons directly conflict with long established data. Because by your statements, if what you're saying is true, then a cold air intake would not make the increases in HP/TQ that they do. A good CAI will increase hp and tq by approx 15 hp/tq even tho the TB, intake manifold, heads, cam, and exhaust remain unchanged. So if a cold air intake can do this, why is it hard to believe that a ported TB can do the same?
I don't know how much difference a bigger throttle body will make by itself. I am sceptical of the figures the manufacturers advertise. I had my 2010 on the dyno before I made any changes. It was a small shop and the owner let me drive my car myself. That in itself was a rush.

Stock dyno gave 369 RWHP. After adding an SLP CAI where the filter is relocated down out of site behind the front bumper and an SLP axle back muffler delete, I did the dyno again at the same place and only had a 10 RWHP gain. The advertised gain was 25 HP. It didn't state if the gain was on the motor or at the rear wheels. I assumed the gain was on the motor so at a 15% loss through a manual transmission, I should have got 20 RWHP gain instead of only 10.

I have since gone back to the stock CAI but left the rear mufflers off as I like the sound it has without them. Didn't figure it was worth another dyno test with just the mufflers removed.

BoB

Uncle BoB in Oakville, Ontario
2010 Camaro 1SS 6M, Victory Red
ordered January 4th, 2010; delivered March 5th, 2010
http://unclebob.mangle.ca

post #24 of 31 Old 07-01-2014, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob62000 View Post
I don't know how much difference a bigger throttle body will make by itself. I am sceptical of the figures the manufacturers advertise. I had my 2010 on the dyno before I made any changes. It was a small shop and the owner let me drive my car myself. That in itself was a rush.

Stock dyno gave 369 RWHP. After adding an SLP CAI where the filter is relocated down out of site behind the front bumper and an SLP axle back muffler delete, I did the dyno again at the same place and only had a 10 RWHP gain. The advertised gain was 25 HP. It didn't state if the gain was on the motor or at the rear wheels. I assumed the gain was on the motor so at a 15% loss through a manual transmission, I should have got 20 RWHP gain instead of only 10.

I have since gone back to the stock CAI but left the rear mufflers off as I like the sound it has without them. Didn't figure it was worth another dyno test with just the mufflers removed.

BoB
You had the SLP Blackwing intake set-up. Those were gains at the wheels and are consistent with the average gains you'll get with a good cai. Even the best ones will only get you around 15 HP/TQ. But it isn't just the numbers, it is also how the car responds on the track. The manufacturer is always gonna embellish when advertising. Real world results are when a third party does a test. An intake that gives you 10-15 WHP/WTQ and effectively lowers your IATs for around $300 - $400 is worth it and probably one of the best bang for the buck mods you can do.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #25 of 31 Old 07-01-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
You had the SLP Blackwing intake set-up. Those were gains at the wheels and are consistent with the average gains you'll get with a good cai. Even the best ones will only get you around 15 HP/TQ. But it isn't just the numbers, it is also how the car responds on the track. The manufacturer is always gonna embellish when advertising. Real world results are when a third party does a test. An intake that gives you 10-15 WHP/WTQ and effectively lowers your IATs for around $300 - $400 is worth it and probably one of the best bang for the buck mods you can do.
One of the managers at my dealership did up a 2SS before he sold it. I didn't like the stiffer lowered suspension or the harder tires. One of the additions was the Sprint Booster. He said it was an approved item and let me take it for a test drive. I was quite impressed so I got one since I didn't want to get into having a tune done. Just before I finished putting the cable back on for the drive by wire, I was curious and started the engine. It started up fine and didn't give any codes but it would only idle, which makes sense.

I've been to the drag strip and road course at Toronto Motorsports Part. With street tires the drags are a joke. Even at 2000 RPM there is too much wheel spin so I just take off as if at a stoplight then floor it. I bought my Camaro to drive and enjoy, not to race, but I had not been to the drags since my late teens so I just had to run it down the strip a few times. Best was 13.4 at 110.7 MPH.

On the road course I was really impressed with the handling, especially the brakes. I took the optional instruction and learned a lot from him. Got up to 110 MPH on the 1st straight then down to about 60 MPH on the 1st turn. I never did hold on long enough before braking for that 1st turn. Always ended up braking about 60-80 feet too soon but just couldn't hold on that little bit extra even though there was a cone to mark when to let off the brakes. That was the biggest rush on the track for me.

There is a short s turn where I did the worst but never went off the track or lost the back end. Once I was a little too fast and just cranked the wheel harder right. It felt like it was going to roll the tire right off the rim but it still handled great. It sure showed me how well the car handled if I ever got into an emergency on the highway. I guess the quicker acceleration with the Sprint Booster has worn off now as I never use it any more on the road.

Now I'm in the market for rear tires after 31,000 kms (about 20,000 miles). Funny how the fronts still look almost new but the wear bars are showing on the rears. I'll put the Pirelli P Zero's back on since I found they handled great even though I've heard some say they don't like them.

BoB

post #26 of 31 Old 07-01-2014, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

I used to say the same thing about the track. I've been going lately and its a lot of fun. My friends come out so we all get to chill. There are always lots of other fast cars out there...and some not so fast cars also. Everyone is cool. And where else can you stand on the gas pedal for a quarter mile 5 or 6 times without getting in trouble with the law or endangering yourself and others. Its always a fun time. Plus you get to learn your car. I have a M6 SS so I've been learning how to launch it. So far I have a best of 12.83 at 112 MPH. Hopefully I'll get to go this Wednesday!

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #27 of 31 Old 07-02-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
And where else can you stand on the gas pedal for a quarter mile 5 or 6 times without getting in trouble with the law or endangering yourself and others. Its always a fun time. Plus you get to learn your car. I have a M6 SS so I've been learning how to launch it. So far I have a best of 12.83 at 112 MPH. Hopefully I'll get to go this Wednesday!
Looks like you have made some good power additives. Have you had it on a dyno? That's a good time. Are you running drag radials or stock Pirelli tires?

My brother-in-law has a 2008 Shelby GT500, rated at 500 HP on the motor stock. He has spent a lot of money making it faster but the 320/40-18 MT drag radials made the biggest difference getting his 60 ft times down from around 2.2 to 1.6 seconds. The best time he had with 545 RWHP was 11.8 but with the latest mods he has had an 11.01 and figures/hopes he can get down to the high 10's. His 711 RWHP has cost him a clutch so far and the rear gears and posi clutches will be next.

I'm satisfied with my SS the way it is and don't want to make any changes that will sacrifice my good gas mileage because I want to be able to take it on long trips. However, a nice set of drag radials may be an option for a little more fun at the drags.

BoB

post #28 of 31 Old 07-03-2014, 07:14 PM

I understand where you're coming from. Having been down the road of dumping thousands of dollars into a car and still yearning for more, I think this time around I may just focus on refinement and aesthetics.

Back on point, though - the dyno tests that were performed on these throttle bodies are nice but, as much as I hate to say it, the real test is at the track. Which I'm sure no one likes hearing that anymore since it sounds so cliche. A dyno operator can get a car to run back to back and have different numbers. The throttle body itself could be slightly altering the air/fuel ratio, the car could have cooled down a bit between runs, etc.

Whatever the case may be, if people are satisfied with their purchase, then what does it matter, right?

2014 Camaro 6.2L LS3 SS/RS, Hurst Short Throw, NPP Dual Mode Exhaust (Fuse Pulled) - Previous Cars: 1994 Mustang, 1997 WRX (in Japan), 1998 Mustang, 2002 A6 V8 Quattro, 2003 Mustang, 2012 Mustang
post #29 of 31 Old 07-03-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockLS3 View Post
Whatever the case may be, if people are satisfied with their purchase, then what does it matter, right?
You got it. When I'm helping a friend, I help him do it his way even if it's not to my liking. Nothing like a car show to show how the same car can be modified to look so different. I like mine stock. I can't even allow myself to drill any holes in the dash or under the hood to mount any accessories.

BoB

post #30 of 31 Old 07-20-2014, 07:43 PM

I called Summit Tech for advise on this and was told if I don't get the bigger manifold then there are better ways to spend my money. I figured that pretty much said it all. When I can afford a Fast 102 manifold I'll get a bigger TB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page