This is what happens when you try and used a canned tune with FI - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-08-2013, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

This is what happens when you try and used a canned tune with FI

The pic says it all.

Bottom line ... don't EVER, EVER risk a canned tune with a blower kit, particularly when you have other mods like I did.

The thread on my rebuild PFAFF Racing / Cunningham Motorsports Forged Engine is here if anyone's interested: https://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/v8...has-begun.html This is the good that has come from the bad!

Here's my 3 new paperweights with broken ring lands!

782.5rwhp 680 rwtq 2011 Inferno Orange 2SS, STRUT 22" Icon5 Rims & Grille Kit, Mahle Pistons, Manley Rods, Custom Comp Cam, ARP Bolts, Melling HV Oil Pump, Whipple SC, 3.5" Pulley, 8 Rib Pulley Kit, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Balancer, LT Headers, Borla 3" Exhaust, ADM Fuel Pump, 80lb/hr FIC Billet Tip Injectors, RX Monster Catch Can, CAI Intake, ADM Race Scoop, Mantic 9000 Series Clutch, Hurst Shifter, Eibach Springs. Motor built by PFAFF Engines. Fitted & tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Premium Member

Garage
How much power were you getting? Those are stock pistons, right?

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-08-2013, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

It was at 588.5rwhp with these pistons. But that was after it had been retuned. New engine should be close to 700rwhp.

782.5rwhp 680 rwtq 2011 Inferno Orange 2SS, STRUT 22" Icon5 Rims & Grille Kit, Mahle Pistons, Manley Rods, Custom Comp Cam, ARP Bolts, Melling HV Oil Pump, Whipple SC, 3.5" Pulley, 8 Rib Pulley Kit, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Balancer, LT Headers, Borla 3" Exhaust, ADM Fuel Pump, 80lb/hr FIC Billet Tip Injectors, RX Monster Catch Can, CAI Intake, ADM Race Scoop, Mantic 9000 Series Clutch, Hurst Shifter, Eibach Springs. Motor built by PFAFF Engines. Fitted & tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.

post #4 of 15 Old 03-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Stock pistons? My guess is yes.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-08-2013, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
Stock pistons? My guess is yes.
Missed that sorry ... yes was stock internals.

Not any more

post #6 of 15 Old 03-08-2013, 04:35 PM
Premium Member

Garage
I'll bet your problem is solved then. Stock internals are good for around 500HP at the flywheel, IIRC. You were around 700 flywheel hp.
Ya gotta pay to play!
Good luck and have fun!

post #7 of 15 Old 03-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.w View Post
The pic says it all.

Bottom line ... don't EVER, EVER risk a canned tune with a blower kit, particularly when you have other mods like I did.

The thread on my rebuild PFAFF Racing / Cunningham Motorsports Forged Engine is here if anyone's interested: https://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/v8...has-begun.html This is the good that has come from the bad!

Here's my 3 new paperweights with broken ring lands!

What other mods did you have? Was it a canned tune from Whipple? Every canned tune I've seen comes with the warning that any other modification from stock will throw the tune off. So if you had headers, or bought a smaller pulley and installed that pulley instead of the one the tune was specifically written for, then that was the problem.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #8 of 15 Old 03-08-2013, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Yeah it was the stock whipple tune ... I already had the shortys and CAI ... My first FI car ... didnt even occur to me that it it could make such a difference. Doesn't help that we have such crap fuel here in CA either.

post #9 of 15 Old 03-09-2013, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
What other mods did you have? Was it a canned tune from Whipple? Every canned tune I've seen comes with the warning that any other modification from stock will throw the tune off. So if you had headers, or bought a smaller pulley and installed that pulley instead of the one the tune was specifically written for, then that was the problem.
Yup, a hard lesson to learn... A canned tune can't handle ANY other mods....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.w View Post
Doesn't help that we have such crap fuel here in CA either.
Lucas Octane Booster my friend. I used it as insurance as soon as I went FI and now even more so that I run a 93 tune... I know what you're thinkin' But it really does work. I need more pump on top and pressure drops a bit around 5700 but I still don't get any KR...

You should mix at 4oz per 5 gal.

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #10 of 15 Old 03-09-2013, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Yup, a hard lesson to learn... A canned tune can't handle ANY other mods....

Lucas Octane Booster my friend. I used it as insurance as soon as I went FI and now even more so that I run a 93 tune... I know what you're thinkin' But it really does work. I need more pump on top and pressure drops a bit around 5700 but I still don't get any KR...

You should mix at 4oz per 5 gal.
Thanks ... I'll give that a go. Good insurance for the new engine ... It has forged pistons but I'm upping the boost ... So it would be worth while.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page