Tuner devices,which one? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-16-2013, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Location: CLEVELAND,GA. just 6 miles south of blood mth, RT129

Tuner devices,which one?

Okay Ill admit it, im a dummy to the tunner devices on the market for the SS. I had Trifecta do my tune after all my mods with my 1LT I had. But on our V8'S we have the option for tuners. Im still waiting for the Variram to come out soon on my 2SS and then ill be installing LT headers and high flow cats to finish out the rest of the exhaust and ported TB I already have on my SS. Now I will be changing out tires and rims for wider ones next year ,so ill need a tune for them. Point is. Should I just Get a hand held tuner? Im no stranger to tunning the many bikes I had in my past and present day. I have delt with power commanders, maps, and now actually have a power pro self adjusting fuel prossessor on my 2007 Yamaha "113" CU.IN. Roadliner S. But Im not sure which hand held fuel adjuster, engine management ,to get for my 2SS, or is it worth it. Some opinions from you people would help. OH yea, what is the nearest tuner in my area, cleveland, GA? Thanks.

2012 Yellow Convertable SS,RS,2SS,6SPM,gibson C/B exh with X pipe,technostalgia tail lamps, Hotchkis bars and springs, ARH frame brace,ported TB, BBK shorty headers, K&N cai, front grill air scoup,Pfadt chamber&caster strunt adjusters,VR power Wedge,ZL1 front spoiler lip, 10-10.5 inch rims, 275,315 nitto motivos so far.
2009 Midnight Roadstar Warrior ,lots of mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-16-2013, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
It really depends on the level of tuning you anticipate reaching. Handhelds become "tune holders" and methods by which to upload those tunes, pretty early on in the mods process. Especially once you start modding on the Intake side of things. SCT supposedly gives access to more of the tables than the others. You can get custom remote tunes written by most any of the tuner companies/tuners that use that particular software.

If you are going to have the car professionally dyno tuned then you need to be using whatever software the tuner is using at his shop (IE HPT, SCT, EFILive etc) or you will be paying more (for whatever he uses and losing he use of what you already bought) when you go there...

If you are wanting to get your hands dirty and do your own tuning, it sounds to me like you should be going down the "Tuning Suite" road instead. HPTuners and SCT are the 2 most widely used. There are others like EFI Live etc... These allow you to access/tune the car via laptop.... But you had better know your sh1t! I ride bikes and have tuned them for years BUT the Camaro is crazy complicated compared to the bikes....

I have a Diablosport Predator handheld for sale if you wanna have some optimized tunes to use and get used to messing around with the car. It can pull/reset DTC's as well....

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #3 of 15 Old 03-16-2013, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Location: CLEVELAND,GA. just 6 miles south of blood mth, RT129

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
It really depends on the level of tuning you anticipate reaching. Handhelds become "tune holders" and methods by which to upload those tunes, pretty early on in the mods process. Especially once you start modding on the Intake side of things. SCT supposedly gives access to more of the tables than the others. You can get custom remote tunes written by most any of the tuner companies/tuners that use that particular software.

If you are going to have the car professionally dyno tuned then you need to be using whatever software the tuner is using at his shop (IE HPT, SCT, EFILive etc) or you will be paying more (for whatever he uses and losing he use of what you already bought) when you go there...

If you are wanting to get your hands dirty and do your own tuning, it sounds to me like you should be going down the "Tuning Suite" road instead. HPTuners and SCT are the 2 most widely used. There are others like EFI Live etc... These allow you to access/tune the car via laptop.... But you had better know your sh1t! I ride bikes and have tuned them for years BUT the Camaro is crazy complicated compared to the bikes....

I have a Diablosport Predator handheld for sale if you wanna have some optimized tunes to use and get used to messing around with the car. It can pull/reset DTC's as well....
I guess Ill just do all the mods first, then have it done on a dyno and forget it. I dont plane on a cam swap till next year some time.Thanks.

2012 Yellow Convertable SS,RS,2SS,6SPM,gibson C/B exh with X pipe,technostalgia tail lamps, Hotchkis bars and springs, ARH frame brace,ported TB, BBK shorty headers, K&N cai, front grill air scoup,Pfadt chamber&caster strunt adjusters,VR power Wedge,ZL1 front spoiler lip, 10-10.5 inch rims, 275,315 nitto motivos so far.
2009 Midnight Roadstar Warrior ,lots of mods.

post #4 of 15 Old 03-17-2013, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammyboy113 View Post
I guess Ill just do all the mods first, then have it done on a dyno and forget it. I dont plane on a cam swap till next year some time.Thanks.
You can get a custom tune also. A professional tuner will write you a safe base tune based on your mods. You load the tune, drive for a while, datalog, and then email the datalog file. After you send the datalog file the tuner will adjust it. You do this process a couple times until it is just right. 06MonteSS did mine and it came out great. And you can't beat the price...considering dyno tunes are around $400-$600.

If you want to do your own tunes then I recommend the resources hypurone mentioned. A great website for tuning is EECTuning.org. Those guys are really helpful and they have knowledge from the beginner to expert level. You should invest in wide band AFR gauge...and you may need other tools, software, devices, etc to get started. But like was said before, be very careful. Because tuning is intense and you can easily blow an engine. It might be better to get a cheap project car to practice on first before you start with the Camaro.

If you're gonna go the handheld tuner route and just stick with the pre-loaded tunes, then you can't go wrong with any of the well known brands.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #5 of 15 Old 03-18-2013, 05:30 PM
JacFab.com

The big question you need to ask yourself is: If your car is under warranty, are you ready to permanently void your power train warranty already? I see you have a 2012, and hopefully most of the early production model problems have been solved already and you won't have to worry about it, BUT if you DO like your warranty like I do, well you're SOL.

Here's something to think about... If you get a different size wheel and tire (like I did), GM/Dealer will not re-calibrate it for you. I asked, "What if I just got one of those hand held tuners to fix how the speedometer reads"... They said "Voids warranty"... REALLY? So, my speedometer has been off for about a year now because I don't want to "void my warranty"... Basically if you tune for ANY reason, you've voided your power train warranty.

That said, a hand held can be very useful for monitoring your car as far as fuel trims and if you're in a "safe" realm as you add mods. It's also useful for clearing codes thrown, and data logging. If you use them for only data monotoring, data logging, and clearing codes they will not flash the ECU and it will not void your warranty.

As Chapel mentioned, you can also get custom tunes, which you may need if you get crazy. Ted @ JRE likes to use the SCT brand tuner, and as mentioned there are people that can send you custom tunes for a Diablosport Predator.

I personally have a Predator because I picked it up cheap, but I only use it for clearing codes and data logging. I have yet to use the tune feature of it, although, I have read it can make a significant difference on a stock car at the drag strip... Perhaps one day I will break down and start using the tune feature, but... We'll see.

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro
Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket, Dynomax Axleback, JacFab CAI System, JacFab HFC's, Bo White ported TB.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
The big question you need to ask yourself is: If your car is under warranty, are you ready to permanently void your power train warranty already? I see you have a 2012, and hopefully most of the early production model problems have been solved already and you won't have to worry about it, BUT if you DO like your warranty like I do, well you're SOL.

Here's something to think about... If you get a different size wheel and tire (like I did), GM/Dealer will not re-calibrate it for you. I asked, "What if I just got one of those hand held tuners to fix how the speedometer reads"... They said "Voids warranty"... REALLY? So, my speedometer has been off for about a year now because I don't want to "void my warranty"... Basically if you tune for ANY reason, you've voided your power train warranty.

That said, a hand held can be very useful for monitoring your car as far as fuel trims and if you're in a "safe" realm as you add mods. It's also useful for clearing codes thrown, and data logging. If you use them for only data monotoring, data logging, and clearing codes they will not flash the ECU and it will not void your warranty.

As Chapel mentioned, you can also get custom tunes, which you may need if you get crazy. Ted @ JRE likes to use the SCT brand tuner, and as mentioned there are people that can send you custom tunes for a Diablosport Predator.

I personally have a Predator because I picked it up cheap, but I only use it for clearing codes and data logging. I have yet to use the tune feature of it, although, I have read it can make a significant difference on a stock car at the drag strip... Perhaps one day I will break down and start using the tune feature, but... We'll see.

So the dealer be able to tell if u have a tune in ur car??

2012 1SS/RS IBM M6 Halltech YellowJacket CAI, Kooks 1/7/8 LT's Corsa Sport CatBack SLP 160 Stat
426/424 rwhp/rwtq Kaltech Tune SOLD!!!!

April 2013 COTM Winner
post #7 of 15 Old 03-18-2013, 07:02 PM
JacFab.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSSS View Post
So the dealer be able to tell if u have a tune in ur car??
Absolutely, the newer GM ECU's have a flash counter. Even if you return your vehicle to the stock tune before you take it in, they will be able to see that he has been tuned using a non-GM calibration and it can potentially void your warranty.

That's another reason why I've done as little as possible to my car, as I'm trying to retain the warranty as long as possible.

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket, Dynomax Axleback, JacFab CAI System, JacFab HFC's, Bo White ported TB.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-18-2013, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Absolutely, the newer GM ECU's have a flash counter. Even if you return your vehicle to the stock tune before you take it in, they will be able to see that he has been tuned using a non-GM calibration and it can potentially void your warranty.

That's another reason why I've done as little as possible to my car, as I'm trying to retain the warranty as long as possible.
wow thanks for that info, didnot know this was possible at all

2012 1SS/RS IBM M6 Halltech YellowJacket CAI, Kooks 1/7/8 LT's Corsa Sport CatBack SLP 160 Stat

April 2013 COTM Winner
post #9 of 15 Old 03-18-2013, 07:54 PM
JacFab.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSSS View Post
wow thanks for that info, didnot know this was possible at all
Unfortunately, yes it is... So you either accept the check engine light staring you in the face day in and day out once you put your Kook's headers on, or MAYBE you can figure out a way to get lucky and not make it come on... If you have a tune done just to disable to code for that CEL and nothing else, they can still get you for a "tune" if they want to be an ass if something major happens to you car and they don't feel like spending the $$ to fix it on their dime.

post #10 of 15 Old 03-18-2013, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, yes it is... So you either accept the check engine light staring you in the face day in and day out once you put your Kook's headers on, or MAYBE you can figure out a way to get lucky and not make it come on... If you have a tune done just to disable to code for that CEL and nothing else, they can still get you for a "tune" if they want to be an ass if something major happens to you car and they don't feel like spending the $$ to fix it on their dime.
Yea i see what your saying either way i have to get it tuned

April 2013 COTM Winner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page