Vararam CAI!! - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 04-18-2013, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Vararam CAI!!

I'm looking into getting an official CAI. I currently have the Blackwing intake tube from the TB to the stock air box. And I have a K&N air filter in the air box. Of all the CAIs out there I am leaning towards the Vararam. I would like to get the tune version but I'm wondering if there is any significant difference between the tune and non-tune version. I can get a custom tune written but I'd have to drive it 150 miles first. And I don't want a CEL to pop up during that time. So what do you guys think? Tune version? Non-tune version? BTW, I'm not doing a cam or anything. Maybe a ported intake manifold in the future...

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 04-18-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
I'm looking into getting an official CAI. I currently have the Blackwing intake tube from the TB to the stock air box. And I have a K&N air filter in the air box. Of all the CAIs out there I am leaning towards the Vararam. I would like to get the tune version but I'm wondering if there is any significant difference between the tune and non-tune version. I can get a custom tune written but I'd have to drive it 150 miles first. And I don't want a CEL to pop up during that time. So what do you guys think? Tune version? Non-tune version? BTW, I'm not doing a cam or anything. Maybe a ported intake manifold in the future...
I have the same set up as you. and love it.. I would not waste the money IMO

2011 camaro 2ss convert..black on black. Slp black wing intake, k&n drop in , muffler delete , 93 octane diablo tune L99/A6. totaled 12-4-13..

2014 camaro 2ss 1LE. best car yet!!!!
post #3 of 34 Old 04-18-2013, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javi05 View Post
I have the same set up as you. and love it.. I would not waste the money IMO
Well, they do say that great minds think alike!! Yea the Blackwing is an awesome set-up. But I'm getting a little bored at my current power level. And I'm thinking the Vararam will give me a little more. And I like the look of the Vararam!! Who knows...I might just keep it the way it is.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #4 of 34 Old 04-20-2013, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Well, it looks like I'm gonna get the No-Tune version!!

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #5 of 34 Old 04-21-2013, 07:27 AM

Sweet man take some pics!!!

2011 camaro 2ss convert..black on black. Slp black wing intake, k&n drop in , muffler delete , 93 octane diablo tune L99/A6. totaled 12-4-13..

2014 camaro 2ss 1LE. best car yet!!!!
post #6 of 34 Old 04-24-2013, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

The CAI will be here tomorrow by the end of the day. I will keep you all updated!

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #7 of 34 Old 04-25-2013, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

So it arrived and everything looked great. Went to do the install...the box came out easy and perfect. I got the MAF off easily and ready to go on. Everything looking like a 10 minute job 20 minutes max. So I go to install the MAF sensor into the housing of the Vararam intake and guess what??!! One of the bolt holes is filled with some kind of rubber molding. No problem right? I figure a few minutes will have her cleaned out and ready to go. Nah, of course it couldn't be that easy. So 45 minutes later the hole still has this crap all up in it...I got some of it out and I try to get the bolts in. And the one bolt snaps right as I'm screwing it in. It effing figures. Let me just say, I am SOO disappointed, aggravated, and pissed off right now. And of course I get the answering machine when I call customer service and tech. So I had to send out an email explaining all this to see how they go about correcting this. I will post pics of the screw holes later. Hopefully they will come through for me. If they overnight me a new set-up with a prepaid tag to send this one back then I will be satisfied...still disappointed, but satisfied. If not then I will take my business elsewhere. We shall see. I mean, I understand that there are always gonna be one or two defective units that slip through the cracks every now and then. But it still pisses me off when I'm the one that has to deal with it. Especially since there was no problems with the $320 I sent for this thing. Again, we shall see.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #8 of 34 Old 04-25-2013, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
So it arrived and everything looked great. Went to do the install...the box came out easy and perfect. I got the MAF off easily and ready to go on. Everything looking like a 10 minute job 20 minutes max. So I go to install the MAF sensor into the housing of the Vararam intake and guess what??!! One of the bolt holes is filled with some kind of rubber molding. No problem right? I figure a few minutes will have her cleaned out and ready to go. Nah, of course it couldn't be that easy. So 45 minutes later the hole still has this crap all up in it...I got some of it out and I try to get the bolts in. And the one bolt snaps right as I'm screwing it in. It effing figures. Let me just say, I am SOO disappointed, aggravated, and pissed off right now. And of course I get the answering machine when I call customer service and tech. So I had to send out an email explaining all this to see how they go about correcting this. I will post pics of the screw holes later. Hopefully they will come through for me. If they overnight me a new set-up with a prepaid tag to send this one back then I will be satisfied...still disappointed, but satisfied. If not then I will take my business elsewhere. We shall see. I mean, I understand that there are always gonna be one or two defective units that slip through the cracks every now and then. But it still pisses me off when I'm the one that has to deal with it. Especially since there was no problems with the $320 I sent for this thing. Again, we shall see.
Hope they come through for you. I really like the looks of the Vararam CAI. I was at the Chevy dealer today to get my new 2013 Camaro and saw a Calloway Corvette and a Camaro with a set up that looked like a Vararam system. I like how it goes straight out the front to get real fresh air. Can't wait to see how you like it when you get it set up.

Silver Ice Metallic 2013 Camaro 2LT
Born 7/29/2012 Delivered 4/24/2013
CyCam1

Last edited by CyCam1; 04-26-2013 at 04:17 PM.
post #9 of 34 Old 04-26-2013, 12:51 AM
ModernCamaro.com Sponsor

Im a vararam fan.

What I say is it the best intake for getting in cold air from outside the engine bay, but for the price I dont like the quality.

When you get the car back together and want to sell your blackwing and filter, I want to have something I can use as a throw down I can quick bolt on over a stock airbox on the dyno, to show the owner how much changing the stock air intake helps.
PM me

Thanks
Phil

Check out your car on our facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/tampa.tuning

Tampa Tuning: [email protected]
post #10 of 34 Old 04-26-2013, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Ok, these guys called me first thing this morning. They were extremely nice and understanding and apologized for the issues I had. They are sending me a new unit and a shipping slip so I can return the old one. They are even throwing in a filter cleaning kit and a hat!! Pretty awesome!! The new unit will be here Wednesday!! The guy said he will personally look it over before they ship it out to make sure there are no problems with it! So I can say I'm pretty happy with their response...great bunch of guys!!

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page