Dual mode exhaust fuse pull - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 05-11-2013, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Dual mode exhaust fuse pull

Which fuse do you pull to disable the dual mode exhaust on the 2013 SS 1LE? I go to pick mine up Monday and want to know how to disable the exhaust valves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 05-11-2013, 09:23 PM

Garage
Its in the trunk. You have to pull the molding off the right side of the trunk. The owners manual in the fuse section will show you how to get to it and also which one to pull. If memory serves me correctly its the fuse on the top right.

2013 SS/RS/1LE
1964 Plymouth Barracuda Candy Apple
1962 Ford Thunderbird Baby Blue
post #3 of 28 Old 05-12-2013, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member

what does this do? what are you actually disabling?

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012

post #4 of 28 Old 05-12-2013, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83Hokie View Post
what does this do? what are you actually disabling?
You are disabling the solenoid that controls the exhaust valves (butterflies) putting them in the open position permanently.

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #5 of 28 Old 05-12-2013, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

I read somewhere that on the ZL1 it is fuse F8 in the trunk fuse panel. Is that gonna be the same for the 1LE?
post #6 of 28 Old 05-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
You are disabling the solenoid that controls the exhaust valves (butterflies) putting them in the open position permanently.
Okay, for the non-mechanically inclined trying to learn ... Exhaust value butterflies are part of the valves within the engine or part the actual exhaust (or something else) ... I'm assuming the former, and if it is, I probably don't really need any more explanation, but if it is part of the exhaust system, why would there be any butterflies at all? and, if it is something else, what?

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
post #7 of 28 Old 05-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83Hokie View Post
Okay, for the non-mechanically inclined trying to learn ... Exhaust value butterflies are part of the valves within the engine or part the actual exhaust (or something else) ... I'm assuming the former, and if it is, I probably don't really need any more explanation, but if it is part of the exhaust system, why would there be any butterflies at all? and, if it is something else, what?
The butterfly valves I'm talking about are actually in the exhaust pipes. Right before the mufflers IIRC.... You need these valves to get the different exhaust notes. This is what makes the "Bi-Modal" exhaust Bi-Modal (two mode) and what tones it down at the lower RPM. The solenoid activates and opens the butterfly valves at a given RPM thereby allowing more flow and thru an additional path within the muffler for the louder tone.... Think of it as being kind of like cutouts but with mufflers.

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #8 of 28 Old 05-12-2013, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
The butterfly valves I'm talking about are actually in the exhaust pipes. Right before the mufflers IIRC.... You need these valves to get the different exhaust notes. This is what makes the "Bi-Modal" exhaust Bi-Modal (two mode) and what tones it down at the lower RPM. The solenoid activates and opens the butterfly valves at a given RPM thereby allowing more flow and thru an additional path within the muffler for the louder tone.... Think of it as being kind of like cutouts but with mufflers.
Thanks ... I was hoping that wasn't what it was, because that makes little sense... I understand your description, but I do not understand why they would do anything at all to restrict the flow of exhaust out of the car. I guess an additional pipe through the muffler helps at that rpm but then why not have it open all the time? too loud? interesting.

post #9 of 28 Old 05-12-2013, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Boy you guys are off lol. The exhaust valves I'm speaking of aren't the engine ones. I'm talking about the valves in the exhaust. They are after the mufflers and can be seen when you look into the tail pipes from the back of the car. They were installed the tame the exhaust note down a bit at low throttle so it would pass government mandates. When the engine goes full throttle, the valves open and let the exhaust fully open.
I just want to open them and get the full benefit and sound from the exhaust.
post #10 of 28 Old 05-12-2013, 07:43 PM

Garage
Ok as someone who has NPP exhaust and has done the pull let me explain. By pulling the fuse in the trunk it basically doesn't allow the butterfly valve (which is after the muffler) to close after the the car is started. It is defaulted open at engine start. So by pulling the fuse it just keeps it open. The butterfly valves only use is to open at higher RPM's so during normal operation of the vehicle it is quieter running in the car and outside. I personally like the sound of it better with the fuse out. It will no pull any codes or effect normal operation.

2013 SS/RS/1LE
1964 Plymouth Barracuda Candy Apple
1962 Ford Thunderbird Baby Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page