Oil separator? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 05-14-2013, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Oil separator?

So I was looking in the trunk of my new 2SS/1LE and there was this white rectangular box in there. I look at the shipping labels and its from IET in Auburn Hills, Michigan and was sent to GM Oshawa Plant. I pop it open and there is what looks like a master cylinder reservoir made of plastic, a tube that could only be a PCV line, and directions that say right up top "Camaro Oil Seperator".

Is this something that should have been installed by the dealer? Is this a new feature for 2013? Or is this a 1LE feature? I've been outta the loop for awhile, but I haven't heard of GM putting oil separators on the 6.2...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 05-14-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekiller View Post
So I was looking in the trunk of my new 2SS/1LE and there was this white rectangular box in there. I look at the shipping labels and its from IET in Auburn Hills, Michigan and was sent to GM Oshawa Plant. I pop it open and there is what looks like a master cylinder reservoir made of plastic, a tube that could only be a PCV line, and directions that say right up top "Camaro Oil Seperator".

Is this something that should have been installed by the dealer? Is this a new feature for 2013? Or is this a 1LE feature? I've been outta the loop for awhile, but I haven't heard of GM putting oil separators on the 6.2...
Hello coyotekiller,

This is an interesting situation! Have you contacted your dealer about this yet? If you would like, I could contact them on your behave to inquire about this for you. I would need you name and VIN number and your dealerships information to do so. You can simply private message me that information.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Available 8:00 AM - 12:00 AM EST
post #3 of 36 Old 05-14-2013, 10:18 PM

This is a 1lE thing, it keeps the "clean" side of the PVC system from ingesting oil durin g rough use. Small as the catch.

"I wish I was the full moon shining off a camaro's hood" Wishlist by Pearl Jam

post #4 of 36 Old 05-15-2013, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Customer Service View Post
Hello coyotekiller,

This is an interesting situation! Have you contacted your dealer about this yet? If you would like, I could contact them on your behave to inquire about this for you. I would need you name and VIN number and your dealerships information to do so. You can simply private message me that information.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
That's alright. I can call them up. I still have the number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrs_crew View Post
This is a 1lE thing, it keeps the "clean" side of the PVC system from ingesting oil durin g rough use. Small as the catch.
What you mean?

And so this is a 1LE thing? Do they sell these for use on the regular 6.2 camaros?
post #5 of 36 Old 05-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekiller View Post
What you mean?
And so this is a 1LE thing? Do they sell these for use on the regular 6.2 camaros?
Yes it will work on the other 6.2 engines, they chose to offer it as a "track" accessory for the 1LE due to its increased cornering abilities via the better sway bars and tires/wheels. This can cause more windage in the crankcase and oil vapor which would then be ingested into the intake tract and on into the engine... It is the same thing as a catch can. I have the RX catch can which does the same job.

It is listed as for use off road/track not on road. They specifically state to restore the OE PCV system when operating the vehicle on road, it's an emissions thing. GM PN = 12653073

PS Don't tell CyCam1! He thinks everything that does oil vapor catching is snake oil!! But hey, he has 31 years with GM so maybe just maybe he will see the light now that GM officially offers a part to do what the aftermarket has done forever....

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner

Last edited by hypurone; 05-15-2013 at 05:51 PM.
post #6 of 36 Old 05-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Yes it will work on the other 6.2 engines, they chose to offer it as a "track" accessory for the 1LE due to its increased cornering abilities via the better sway bars and tires/wheels. This can cause more windage in the crankcase and oil vapor which would then be ingested into the intake tract and on into the engine... It is the same thing as a catch can. I have the RX catch can which does the same job.

It is listed as for use off road/track not on road. They specifically state to restore the OE PCV system when operating the vehicle on road, it's an emissions thing. GM PN = 12653073

PS Don't tell CyCam1! He thinks everything that does oil vapor catching is snake oil!! But hey, he has 31 years with GM so maybe just maybe he will see the light now that GM officially offers a part to do what the aftermarket has done forever....
It's funny they offer it on a V8 engine for TRACK use but want you to use the PCV for regular STREET use. Also they do NOT offer it for the V6 DI engine that you say has to have it. Enough said!!!!!!!!!

Silver Ice Metallic 2013 Camaro 2LT
Born 7/29/2012 Delivered 4/24/2013
CyCam1
post #7 of 36 Old 05-15-2013, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyCam1 View Post
It's funny they offer it on a V8 engine for TRACK use but want you to use the PCV for regular STREET use. Also they do NOT offer it for the V6 DI engine that you say has to have it. Enough said!!!!!!!!!
That's because nobody cares about the V6 when you talk about performance cars.

And btw, the instructions also say not to use it in weather below 32 degrees F. Not sure why, but it says it. Either way, I installed mine and am gonna run around with it on. When they do the oil change at the dealership, I'll just have to tell them how to pop it off I guess.
post #8 of 36 Old 05-16-2013, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member

The point was that some people claim catch cans are the great savior of the DI (direct injection) engine. If it were so, GM would include them on all of these DI engines. They only include them for TRACK cars because obviously it looks like they actually may harm cars that are driven on the street or at least offer NO benefit what-so-ever other than used for a track car. Every engineer that I have ever talked to about this agree they provide no extra protection for a DI car.

CyCam1
post #9 of 36 Old 05-16-2013, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyCam1 View Post
The point was that some people claim catch cans are the great savior of the DI (direct injection) engine. If it were so, GM would include them on all of these DI engines. They only include them for TRACK cars because obviously it looks like they actually may harm cars that are driven on the street or at least offer NO benefit what-so-ever other than used for a track car. Every engineer that I have ever talked to about this agree they provide no extra protection for a DI car.
No where does it say it will harm the car or state there is no benefit. It only states it is not intended for street use (read: emissions reasons). How could there be no benefit on the street vs track? Why would it harm a street car and not a track car?

The only difference would be the increased amount of oil vapor on a vehicle driven very hard. Whether that is hard track use or hard street use is no different. There is still oil vapor being routed into the intake as part of the PCV system inc reversion on every Camaro so why not catch and remove it before it coats the intake etc if you can?

You tell people they are snake oil and junk yet you have never used one nor seen what they can do. Granted, just like everything else in the world not all catch cans are created equal and a poor implementation of one could yield no results. but your blanket statements about them are just wrong.

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #10 of 36 Old 05-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
No where does it say it will harm the car or state there is no benefit. It only states it is not intended for street use (read: emissions reasons). How could there be no benefit on the street vs track? Why would it harm a street car and not a track car?

The only difference would be the increased amount of oil vapor on a vehicle driven very hard. Whether that is hard track use or hard street use is no different. There is still oil vapor being routed into the intake as part of the PCV system inc reversion on every Camaro so why not catch and remove it before it coats the intake etc if you can?

You tell people they are snake oil and junk yet you have never used one nor seen what they can do. Granted, just like everything else in the world not all catch cans are created equal and a poor implementation of one could yield no results. but your blanket statements about them are just wrong.
PROVE IT or shut up! That is all I want. No amount of proof that GM has will sink into your simple mind. If it were any good for a DI engine then it would be on there from the factory. They even say not to use it under 32 degrees. WHY? Is your brain that small that you can't figure out that it could cause harm to the engine? Do you even have a brain? Come on man! You can't be that stupid... can you? You need help dude. Try reading for comprehension.

CyCam1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page