Various Performance Upgrades - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 06-10-2013, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Various Performance Upgrades

Hi there, I've been looking and looking for suggestions in this forum and have come to the conclusion that every application is different depending on desired outcome. I'm looking for suggestions for Air intake, exhaust, headers, and cams for 2010 SS LS3. My desire? Performance! Sound, I imagine, is a byproduct of quality long tube headers and exhaust anyway. Not really interested in appearance at this point. Any help would be appreciated!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-10-2013, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

Every application is different depending on how far each person is willing to go as far as warranty, inspection, expense, gas mileage, etc. The three most common mods seem to be cold air intake, LT headers, and custom tune.

For an intake, different brands offer different styles as far as fenderwell, underhood, and over the radiator style. The most popular is made by a company called CAI. Other popular companies include ADM, Vararam, K&N, Spectre, and a few others. JacFab is coming with a new one soon and it looks promising. It might pay off to wait a while for that one. It really depends on what you want. Fenderwell style will put the filter far away from engine heat and the intake temps should be closest to outside temps. But they seem to not perform as well as underhood and OTR style. And you run the possibility of running through a deep puddle and sucking up water. Underhood style makes a lot of hp and tq without any major drawbacks. Mainly based on the design. Just make sure you choose one that is sealed off from the engine bay even when the hood is open and that has a scoop. This will guide the air in better as well as keep the intake temps down. I don't care for this style due to the location of the box. Even tho it is proven to make power, the location seems to be in a less ideal place for picking up extra colder air. Also some brands require you to relocate your windshield washer fluid reservoir to a different location with a different sized container. It isn't a big deal but I didn't want to do that. OTR style is a ram air style. I went with it because I like ram air. Performance gains are similar if not better despite costing about $100 less than the other popular intakes. The benefits of ram air are obvious. You will get a constant supply of air forced into the intake while the vehicle is moving. This will both help increase power and keep intake temps low while moving. It is a direct intake that goes straight into the TB without any restrictions or bend in flow. However you have to lean the radiator back with the Vararam. People don't seem to like doing this despite the fact that it does not affect the cooling system at all.

LT headers are popular for this car because the install is super easy and the performance gains are also great. I'd say stick with either a 1-7/8th inch or 2 inch made out of 304 stainless steel and you'll be fine. All brands will offer good fitment and similar brands regardless of how much the header actually cost. No brand will damage your engine. Stay away from no-name brand headers.

LT headers will require custom tuning to maximize their potential and to avoid AFR issues that could damage your engine. So make sure you find a reputable tuner.

I could go deeper into this but I wrote out an entire explanation a few days ago and I really don't wanna do it again, lol. For referrence you can find it in this section under the topic "Needing help on what headers to buy". And just to let you know, people are very opinionated these days on mods. Soo much so that lies and illogical stories are more prevalent than actual facts. If someone recommends a particular brand or style, find out the reason they recommend it. If they recommend it simply because they bought it and like it then that will tell you nothing. Most people are fools who have no idea what the differences are between one style/brand and another. Knowing the differences, advantages, and disadvantages and choosing something based on that knowledge will go a long way into personalizing your vehicle.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!

Last edited by Chapel; 06-10-2013 at 08:58 AM.
post #3 of 22 Old 06-11-2013, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Cool all that is very helpful. What about cams?

post #4 of 22 Old 06-12-2013, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member

What are your performance goals?

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #5 of 22 Old 06-12-2013, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropanddrive03 View Post
Contact Comp Cams out of Memphis.....
post #6 of 22 Old 06-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky6702 View Post
Contact Comp Cams out of Memphis.....
This! But I would wait until you have decided on the other items first. Technically, the cam is only gonna give you as much as the heads can flow.... But they should get you sorted once you have all the info to give them...

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #7 of 22 Old 06-12-2013, 08:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Hi there, I've been looking and looking for suggestions in this forum and have come to the conclusion that every application is different depending on desired outcome. I'm looking for suggestions for Air intake, exhaust, headers, and cams for 2010 SS LS3. My desire? Performance! Sound, I imagine, is a byproduct of quality long tube headers and exhaust anyway. Not really interested in appearance at this point. Any help would be appreciated!!!!

You need to find yourself a tuner. Sit down with him and discuss your goals and budget. You shouldnt make these decisions without the input of an experienced tuner. Intakes are intakes most perform with in a cople HP of each other. avoid the ones with the metal tubes because of heat soak. The big decision with headers is what size to get, if your not doing anything radical 1 7/8 is usually the size of choice. The CAM is a big decision, I am big advocate of custom grind cams, for this your going to need the input of a tuner. After its all done get your self a custom tune and you will have one sweet ride.

LME 416CI LS3/9.5:1CR/Callies -4340 4 crank/ Weisco4.07pistons/MaggieTVS2300 /Roto-fab intake/ Kooks 1 7/8 LTs/Magnaflow 2.5 catback/cat delete/MGW shifter/SPEC supertwin clutch /cam motion custom LS1 blower cam/LS1 springs pushrods/LS7 hydraulic roller lifters /LME ported heads/ADM dual pump/ID850 8rib10%od/3.2front pulley/OD rear cog/JRE tensioner/ DSS 9"rear/strange 3.70 31 spline trutrack/G Force trans,carbon syncro,rear shaft upgrade /earls oil cooler/MT DR/[email protected]
post #8 of 22 Old 06-14-2013, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
What are your performance goals?
Longer term I'm looking to kick some Shelby GT ass. I'll be adding a s/c but that's further down the road. For now I want all the pieces in place to make sure that adding a s/c will be as effective as possible. That answer your question?
post #9 of 22 Old 06-14-2013, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Longer term I'm looking to kick some Shelby GT ass. I'll be adding a s/c but that's further down the road. For now I want all the pieces in place to make sure that adding a s/c will be as effective as possible. That answer your question?
If you wanna kick some Shelby ass (2013 Shelby ass) then you are in for a lot of modifications. Just to warn you, they recently tested a 2013 Shelby with the ONLY modification being an oval single blade TB and a canned tune...and the thing made 672 RWHP. Change that to a dyno tune with headers, exhaust, and an intake and that thing will safely make over 700 RWHP. They then tested a 2013 Shelby with a ONLY Kenne Bell 4.2 liter blower and a conversion to E85 and it made 29 lbs of boost, 985 hp, and 971 tq. Now I'm not gonna sit here and sing them praise, but I just want you to know what you're up against, lol!! Those engines are also built with all forged internals. And the OHC block is stronger than an OHV block as well.

So if you're serious about beating Shelby's, then you're looking at a built engine at some point. Because although some claim to be pushing 700+ RWHP on the stock block and stock internals, I doubt it will last very long regardless of how it's tuned. I'd say 600 safely with 650 max if you wanna push things. And even then you're up against VERY strong built engines that can push way past that.

As far as the cam choices. Like others have said you will need to contact your tuner and a good company for the cam. You're not gonna pick a cam off the shelf. Unless it comes in a already designed HCI package. Trickflow makes such a package. But you want a custom made cam. And the choice you make on the cam will have more of an impact on how well tied the engine is than any other component. There are people who even have to change cams depending on boost or other components that they may change. So I'd say save that for last.

Which is why I asked you what your performance goals are. Because nobody should just spit out cam profile numbers to you. So do this. Figure out how much money you wanna spend and what kind of combination you want. There are many different routes depending on compression, cubic inches, boost, etc. If you're gonna build a block with stronger internals then you might as well go stroked. Decide on a compression ratio. Find out what kind of boost you want (centrifugal or twin screw, single turb, twin turb) and how much you will be able to use safely with your compression, fuel, tuning, and internals. Find out what heads you're gonna use. And once you have all that info is when you find out advice on the type of cam you want.

Or if you want you can just ask a vendor which cam they recommend to give you good power for now and then upgrade in the future. But you want cam specs from a pro, not someone like myself or anyone else for that matter. Because your goals will be different from everyone else's.

With that, Lethal Racing, Comp Cams, and Trickflow are one of the cams I would choose. TSP also has cam choices so give them a look.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #10 of 22 Old 06-14-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
First off our cars have one cam only!!! Lol not cams!!

2011 camaro 2ss convert..black on black. Slp black wing intake, k&n drop in , muffler delete , 93 octane diablo tune L99/A6. totaled 12-4-13..

2014 camaro 2ss 1LE. best car yet!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page