Performance upgrades - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-15-2013, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Performance upgrades

Hi there, i have a 2010 SS L99. Parts installed right now - Long tube headers, CAI, Full cat-back Flowmasters, and a local shop tune with the afm tuned off. So here we go. I finally am getting back into shopping for engine performance parts. What i want is an LS3 conversion kit, DoD delete kit, and a bad ass cam kit. Now here's my questions for all this.

1. with what i want would it be recommended to do the heads as well, or is there a way i can get a powerful enough cam right now and then later put in new ported heads?

2. is there a way i could get a bundle package for all this or would i have to buy all these things separate. I feel if i do this then im buying unnecessary items that the other kits already include.

3. if i do all this, is there a way i could right now keep the DoD on, or would i have to take it off in the process of conversion. i know there is no DoD on the LS3 but can i keep it tuned off.

Keep in mind Gents money is tight. Im a Marine from Texas that likes to go fast on a low budget. Please Help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-15-2013, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member

The heads flow really well on these cars. The DOD can be tuned out. As for the parts I would think they would be a separate purchase.

2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS ZEX Wet Shot, Typhoon 63 series CAI, DR Formato Tuned
JULY 2013 M.O.M winner!

post #3 of 14 Old 06-15-2013, 05:25 PM

Mast engine builders was selling heads and cam packages for LS3s. Not sure if that will help you out or not. Mast builds some amazing stuff.

post #4 of 14 Old 06-15-2013, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member

TSP has a cylinder head porting exchange program thing for $899. They come fully assembled and offer a 25+ hp increase over stock. And they have cams for like $300 or les. You can even get a custom made cam from them. If you do the labor then you should be good. If you have to take it to a shop then you're probably looking at around $3,000 for labor...probably more. Your heads flow plenty good as mentioned earlier. So you might wanna save your money on that. However I don't think it's a bad price.

The DoD can be tuned out regardless of your mods. If your money is tight then I would suggest waiting until you have a good amount to spend. Because these projects get real expensive real fast. And a head/cam install priced at X amount can easily increase.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #5 of 14 Old 06-15-2013, 09:43 PM

Yut!!!! Glad to talk to another marine! I just did this conversion. Car is now putting do 470rwhp 440tq on a mild size cams and worked gm heads. I can tell you it's not going to be a cheap project. Especially if your paying for the labor. Did all mine myself

In parts alone(cam,lifters,pushrods,gaskets,bolts,springs,c onversion pieces etc) your looking at anywhere from 1500 to 2000 in parts alone. I can tell you that you don't need to by those 500$ conversion kits you find online. You can part it out and save half the money. But your biggest expense will be the labor.

If your on a low budget right now I would suggest spraying or a stall converter and drag radials. I have a stall they run anywhere from 800 and up depends on what you want. Labor will cost you but shouldn't be as much as the cam. If you do the stall you will def need drag radials. I'm running Mickey Thompson et strees (350 a piece) on 18 in corvette rims.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I also have videos with the cam
post #6 of 14 Old 06-16-2013, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick View Post
The heads flow really well on these cars. The DOD can be tuned out. As for the parts I would think they would be a separate purchase.
so your saying keep the heads and wait?
post #7 of 14 Old 06-16-2013, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWG_33 View Post
Yut!!!! Glad to talk to another marine! I just did this conversion. Car is now putting do 470rwhp 440tq on a mild size cams and worked gm heads. I can tell you it's not going to be a cheap project. Especially if your paying for the labor. Did all mine myself

In parts alone(cam,lifters,pushrods,gaskets,bolts,springs,c onversion pieces etc) your looking at anywhere from 1500 to 2000 in parts alone. I can tell you that you don't need to by those 500$ conversion kits you find online. You can part it out and save half the money. But your biggest expense will be the labor.

If your on a low budget right now I would suggest spraying or a stall converter and drag radials. I have a stall they run anywhere from 800 and up depends on what you want. Labor will cost you but shouldn't be as much as the cam. If you do the stall you will def need drag radials. I'm running Mickey Thompson et strees (350 a piece) on 18 in corvette rims.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I also have videos with the cam
kill hey thanks for the info. yeah i have a shop back home that can give me a head and cam job for bout 4k and yeah it will be professionally done but im not to hot on forking out the money now. also i would like to do it myself which would be the biggest job i'd do to my car.

so when you say worked heads what does that mean? im thinking of keeping the heads until later i've herd the gm heads on it are good.

so i haven't looked into stall converters too much, what do they do? Also could you send the videos you say you have. and give like a rough list on what i would need to cut the conversion kits down?
post #8 of 14 Old 06-16-2013, 04:14 PM

I think I found you on fb lol. Might be easier to talk on there
post #9 of 14 Old 06-16-2013, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWG_33 View Post
I think I found you on fb lol. Might be easier to talk on there
You might have got the wrong person cause I haven't gotten anything. And yeah it would be faster, how knowledgeable are you with all this?
post #10 of 14 Old 06-17-2013, 12:37 AM

I'm no expert. I do work part time at a performance shop. Which strictly work on ls motors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page