Ok don't laug ... did they put enough oil in my car? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-15-2013, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Ok don't laug ... did they put enough oil in my car?

I had my oil changed at my local dealer today. I usually don't use a dealer, but kind of want to have everything documented on this car while it is under warranty. It is at 5000 miles. Anyway, I drove away and then parked at walmart and was recording my oil change in my maintenance book. I noticed they had charged me for 5 quarts of oil I checked the dipstick and couldn't really make up my mind if it was registering full or not. I bought 3 quarts of oil just in case. So I drove a couple of miles home and parked it and let it cool off. I checked it again. I think it shows oil on the dipstick to the right point, but it doesn't look quite as thick as I am used to on the dipstick ...

my question is, is Mobil 1 thinner oil and thereby doesn't look as thick on the stick as your normal oils? Do I go back to the dealer and ask? Do I take it as a dealer hitting me up for my business, since I'm in there very irregularly with other cars but I show up early for a maintenance with my new car? Do I just add a quart or three and check as I go?

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-15-2013, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83Hokie View Post
I had my oil changed at my local dealer today. I usually don't use a dealer, but kind of want to have everything documented on this car while it is under warranty. It is at 5000 miles. Anyway, I drove away and then parked at walmart and was recording my oil change in my maintenance book. I noticed they had charged me for 5 quarts of oil I checked the dipstick and couldn't really make up my mind if it was registering full or not. I bought 3 quarts of oil just in case. So I drove a couple of miles home and parked it and let it cool off. I checked it again. I think it shows oil on the dipstick to the right point, but it doesn't look quite as thick as I am used to on the dipstick ...

my question is, is Mobil 1 thinner oil and thereby doesn't look as thick on the stick as your normal oils? Do I go back to the dealer and ask? Do I take it as a dealer hitting me up for my business, since I'm in there very irregularly with other cars but I show up early for a maintenance with my new car? Do I just add a quart or three and check as I go?
i wouldnt do nothing but bring the car right back there ASAP

2012 1SS/RS IBM M6 Halltech YellowJacket CAI, Kooks 1/7/8 LT's Corsa Sport CatBack SLP 160 Stat
426/424 rwhp/rwtq Kaltech Tune SOLD!!!!

April 2013 COTM Winner
post #3 of 10 Old 07-15-2013, 06:16 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
Since I'm no expert...here's a quote I took from another site...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde
Synthetic oils are thinner than conventional oils before they heat up. This is why a lot of people get confused when comparing the two.

This is actually a BAD thing for conventional. It means that conventional is TOO THICK until it heats up.

Compare the two at operating temp and they should appear the same. Compare the two at high heat and the conventional will be thinner because, well, it's just not as good at maintaining viscosity.

post #4 of 10 Old 07-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

The SS takes 8qts. Your saying they only put 5 Qts in your car? WtF???

2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS ZEX Wet Shot, Typhoon 63 series CAI, DR Formato Tuned
JULY 2013 M.O.M winner!

post #5 of 10 Old 07-16-2013, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick View Post
The SS takes 8qts. Your saying they only put 5 Qts in your car? WtF???
No Im saying they charged me for 5 quarts ... I'm not sure if that means they put in 5 and charged me for 5 or they put in 8 and charged me for 5 (by mistake or by trying to get me hooked there for future oil changes) ... I'm not driving the car today, so I'll check it again when I get home and decide what to do.

Envy's quote makes it sound like the synthetic is thinner and maybe that's why it looks different on the dipstick than I am used to ... I've never run synthetic before.

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
post #6 of 10 Old 07-16-2013, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member

Oil on a dipstick is oil on a dipstick. I run a lube shop you can't tell synthetic oil from conventional by looking at it on a dipstick.

2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS ZEX Wet Shot, Typhoon 63 series CAI, DR Formato Tuned
JULY 2013 M.O.M winner!

post #7 of 10 Old 07-16-2013, 07:52 AM

Call the dealership and ask.

- Brian Meissen
Owner, MiFBody.com
Administrator, LTxTech.com

1994 Camaro LT1 Transplant - 357ci LT1, cammed, stalled, and driven.
2012 Camaro LFX M6 - Clifford
post #8 of 10 Old 07-16-2013, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick View Post
Oil on a dipstick is oil on a dipstick. I run a lube shop you can't tell synthetic oil from conventional by looking at it on a dipstick.
Ok, crisis averted ... now you all can laugh at me ... maybe I was checking the dipstick too soon after turning the car off and it had not settled completely back into the oil pan ... Yesterday, it kind of looked like the oil might of been at the mark, a light coat, but I really was not confident of that (maybe it was the sun) ... today, after sitting 24 hours, I pulled the dipstick out and I am much more confident that it is right ... there appears to be "more" oil on the stick right up to where I expected it ... sorry for being alarmist, but with no experience on synthetic, I wasn't sure what to expect.

and yes, call the dealer was thee next option, but I knew the answer would be, sure bring it in we will check, so I was kind of trying to avoid that.

post #9 of 10 Old 07-18-2013, 11:49 PM

If you were down 3 quarts you wouldn't have made it to Walmart.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-19-2013, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Never owned a car with 8 quarts before ... and never used synthetic ... got a lil paranoid I guess and I'm glad it worked out

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page