Elite Catch Can: Having Trouble Aligning 90 deg Hose Barn Fittings In Right Direction - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-27-2013, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Elite Catch Can: Having Trouble Aligning 90 deg Hose Barn Fittings In Right Direction

Ok, I'm an idiot (today), as I try to install my Elite catch can as I type this.

I can't seem to be able to point the two Hose Barb fittings in the right direction on the catch can. Logically, they should be aimed towards the engine after tightening them. Mine are way off as you can see in the pic. How did you guys align yours? Did you have to use a washer? Im
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0099.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	24785  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-27-2013, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member

I just did my RX CC and had the same issue ... called up and they told me to use a screwdriver to turn them ... I put a large Phillips in and a bit of slow pressure and it worked ... was worried about breaking it at first but it went fine .. gentle steady pressure on the RX, I assume the same for Elite

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #3 of 6 Old 07-27-2013, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

I dunno man...it really doesn't sound like it's the same design here, concerning those 90 degree hose barn fittings, that need to be threaded onto the catch can. You can only twist them so far by hand. Any more and the threads will surely strip.

Wrapping some Teflon Tape over the thread might be the ticket here. Sadly I don't have any. I guess no test drive tonight

Last edited by camarodude; 07-27-2013 at 06:24 PM.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-27-2013, 06:25 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarodude View Post
I dunno man...it really doesn't sound like it's the same design here, concerning those 90 degree hose barn fittings, that need to be threaded onto the catch can. You can only twist them so far by hand. Any more and the threads will surely strip.

Wrapping some Teflon Tape over the thread might be the ticket here. Sadly I don't have any. I guess no test drive tonight
Play it safe, "when in doubt...don't", that motto has saved my A$$ many times.

2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body
post #5 of 6 Old 07-28-2013, 04:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWD621 View Post
Play it safe, "when in doubt...don't", that motto has saved my A$$ many times.
Agree, I had called them and they told me to do it (and said they would replace it, if it broke) ... probably need the same guidance from Elite before doing it.

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #6 of 6 Old 07-28-2013, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Ended up adding some plumbers Teflon tape on the threaded end of the fitting. I hand tightened to start until I couldn't tighten it anymore. Then I wrapped a towel on it, took out a long tool to add leverage, and it spun around nice and smoothly. All is well now. Just to reiterate, hand tightening alone doesn't seem to be enough.

Took Sledge out for a good hard run (no rev limiter hitting mind you), with 600 miles(1000km) on the clock, boy do I feel good having installed both the Elite can and the Chevrolet Performance supplied Oil Separator kit

Just wanted to note, upon sticking a Q-tip inside the original hose to install the oil separator kit("clean side") I observed one to two at most, clean looking drops of oil in there. Nothing significant at all, but considering that I haven't even hit the track yet, something worth considering.

As for the "dirty side" where the catch can goes, although the oil looked clean inside the nipple leading to the engine, and the hose itself that needed to be removed, there was a significant amount of oil in there. By that I mean, estimate perhaps 10-20 drops of clear looking oil.

Highly recommended mods no doubt about it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page