Need help Making a build! - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-29-2013, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Need help Making a build!

Hi there so basically I'm planning my Camy's build. I have a Ls3 motor and so far this is the idea.

Edlebrock E-Force Supercharger

Flow Master Cat-back

Some bad ass headers (no idea which I should use)

CAI Cold Air Intake

Hypertech Tuner

Thinking I need to update my cams/lifters/pistons etc any ideas?

I want this to be able to beat any Mustang on the road still has to be street legal and smogable. Any ideas you can give me i'd greatly appreciate thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-29-2013, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doliongrey View Post
Hi there so basically I'm planning my Camy's build. I have a Ls3 motor and so far this is the idea.

Flow Master Cat-back

CAI Cold Air Intake

Hypertech Tuner

I want this to be able to beat any Mustang on the road still has to be street legal and smogable. Any ideas you can give me i'd greatly appreciate thanks guys!
Kooks LTs for headers! throw the hypertech tuner in the garbage its useless, get a custom dyno tune

2012 1SS/RS IBM M6 Halltech YellowJacket CAI, Kooks 1/7/8 LT's Corsa Sport CatBack SLP 160 Stat
426/424 rwhp/rwtq Kaltech Tune SOLD!!!!

April 2013 COTM Winner
post #3 of 8 Old 07-29-2013, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Flow Master Cat-back

CAI Cold Air Intake

Hypertech Tuner

what state are you in? Virginia makes things challenging

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012

post #4 of 8 Old 07-29-2013, 05:09 PM

I like my kooks, don't waste your money on a canned tune get it dynod, pistons are good depends on what cam for springs

Faster than a speeding ticket, Comp.621/.624 235/251 113, ls3 conversion, 660 platinum spring, Comp trunion rocker upgrade, Katech C5R timing chain, Kooks 1 7/8 long tubes with cats, Yank 3600 stall, Elite catch can, K&N 63 series cai, 160* thermostat, window tint, Rockford Fosgate sub. Magniflow resonated X, muffler delete.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-30-2013, 08:48 PM

No offense, but keeping it street legal and smogable, you have little hope of beating a similarly modded 5.0. They are just faster. But you can always look cooler and sound better. Plus get there in style....
post #6 of 8 Old 07-30-2013, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Flow Master Cat-back

CAI Cold Air Intake

Hypertech Tuner

It sounds like you have the right idea. As far as headers, you can't really go wrong with any brand out there as long as you stick with the name brand types. This car has a lot of room under the hhod and fitment isn't really an issue. I recommend going with a 1-7/8th primary header made of T-304 stainless steel. If you're planning on big power, then you may wanna step up to a 2 inch primary header. Since you are planning the type of power that requires upgraded internals, go with 2 inch. TSP is going to be your best bet on price and quality for 2 inch. If you stick with 1-7/8th then BBK, Kooks, ARH, JBA, OBX, Stainless Works/Stainless Power, and several other brands are all good choices. And they will last. If you wanna stay smogable, then get a catted style connection.

You will want a mild to moderate cam. TSP, Comp Cams, Crane Cams, Trick Flow, and other companies have great choices for either off the shelf or custom cams. The cam should be your last choice tho. Because it will be the most critical part of your combination. The right cam can mean the difference between a well put together engine and an engine that is not efficient or optimal in hp/tq. Some companies offer head and cam packages. The heads on these cars are quite sufficient. But with your list, you might as well get some ported or aftermarket heads while you're at it. And remember, most of the companies are very knowledgeable when it comes to cam profiles. So take their advice. Tell them the combination you are going with and what your end goals are. They will do their best to match you up with the best possible combination. Make sure you stick with the best known companies.

The E-Force supercharger is good. But I would go with a better supercharger. For big numbers, you're probably better off with a Procharger, Vortech.Paxton, or Magnuson. From what I remember, the E-Force was more for stock to mildly modified engines. I don't think it is a great choice for moderate to heavy builds like it seems you are planning.

All tuners are pretty good for stock cars. So for now you can get whichever one you fancy if you just want a boost in performance. No one will be significantly better than another. Once you are ready for your build, you will have to either go with a brand your dyno tuner recommends, or go with whatever brand your supercharger will come with. Most blowers come with a package that includes a tuner. And they'll have you take the package to anyone on a list of specific shops for the install/tuning so as to keep the (optional) warranty. At that point you could just sell the tuner you have. But it does seem that Diablosport and SCT are the more well known and more often used tuners.

And if you're going to do your pistons, then you also might as well upgrade your rods, crank, and bearings. Matter of fact, you might as well go ahead and look into a stroker kit if your budget allows. Because the engine will have to come apart anyway to do the pistons. Might as well do everything all at once. Including getting the block machined.In the end, you will have a rock solid brand new engine that should be able to support over 1,000 hp.

This type of build takes a lot of time to plan. So don't rush in to anything. Take your time, do some research, and ask questions. If you don't understand something or are unsure of something, then do not go forward until you do understand. Most people will gladly help. Check out some other members builds and follow them along to see what they are doing. In the meantime, start with a few mods at a time. A CAI, exhaust, and headers is the typical starting place. Or you can dive right in and start off with a supercharger. There are vendors with specials offering blowers with install and tuning for around $6500-$7000. And they are pretty reputable and dependable. And then later you can upgrade your headers, intake, etc.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #7 of 8 Old 10-20-2013, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Okay Thanks for input guys! I changed a few things doing Qtp Exhaust cutouts this week. On a side note I live in California and this is way harder then I thought it would be. My friend told me to get my dyno tune and buy another stock computer and simply swap it out when it comes to smog. As well I was looking at Headers; pretty much long tubes are going to be out of the question because of stupid smog regulations :/. Which leaves me with shorties to improve on the cast iron manifolds that come stock. The supercharger will have to wait because its very expensive haha. Any ideas on intake manifolds?

Last edited by Doliongrey; 10-20-2013 at 08:24 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-21-2013, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Okay Thanks for input guys! I changed a few things doing Qtp Exhaust cutouts this week. On a side note I live in California and this is way harder then I thought it would be. My friend told me to get my dyno tune and buy another stock computer and simply swap it out when it comes to smog. As well I was looking at Headers; pretty much long tubes are going to be out of the question because of stupid smog regulations :/. Which leaves me with shorties to improve on the cast iron manifolds that come stock. The supercharger will have to wait because its very expensive haha. Any ideas on intake manifolds?
yep .. California sticks it to you just like VA ... I haven't done a lot of research yet, but, like you, I found out LT headers were probably going to be out of the question ... stupid emissions laws

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page