Putting a Cam in! - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-10-2013, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Putting a Cam in!

Ok guys so i work at a new and used GM dealership. I just ordered the GM hot cam kit from our GM performance catalog. I also had to get the LS6 valave springs and few extra seals and what not. Any ways got a really good deal. Cam and parts was 550. Install is 1500 taking aprox 23 hours at our dealership. So i have 2050 in my cam which i thought wasnt to bad. Any ways next i have to headers my dyno shop says. They recommend a long tube and delete the cats. Which im going to do. Now right now i have a x-pipe, resonator delete, and muffler delete. Since i am deleting the main cats they recommend putting a muffler on. Which do i buy?!?!?!?! BORLA ATAK!?!?!? thatss what ive been looking at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

Kinda weird that a GM dealership would have part in removing cats from a street vehicle. That's a good price on the cam install. I would have gone with a truly aftermarket cam tho. Make sure the dealer is going to honor your warranty. Because that cam with the headers will also require an ECU flash. Make sure you get it in writing that your warranty will remain intact just in case.

And I'd also advise to do some research on that cam before you get it installed. This is a great time for you to learn about lift, duration, LSA, and how this will all differ from your stock cam and how it will affect performance. From what I remember, the LS3 has the same springs as the LS6...and the hot cam has less lift than the LS3 cam. Which means you probably would have been fine with your stock springs. I will look it up again later and see. But with those mods and the proper tuning, you should see a drastic improvement in power!!

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #3 of 9 Old 08-10-2013, 03:29 PM

He said the dyno shop recommended the cat delete.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

No way a dealership will remove cats. If they got caught the service dept would be closed and fined out the anus.

Yes LT's and a tune and a torque converter if you have an auto.

2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS ZEX Wet Shot, Typhoon 63 series CAI, DR Formato Tuned
JULY 2013 M.O.M winner!

post #5 of 9 Old 08-12-2013, 08:40 PM

Do your research on all cams. There are much better cams out there than what GM offers out of their book. And cheaper at that.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-17-2013, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

sorry i forgot to mention. They are going to install headers off of work hours in the service department on there own time.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-17-2013, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member

Still, make sure you get that warranty in writing...especially if they touch those cats. Even if they install HF cats. And do not drive off with that car untuned. No matter what they tell you, don't do it. Make sure they install the headers correctly, tune it correctly, and get it all written down with the warranty info. Trust me, you do not want to be stuck making payment on a $45,000 car with a blown engine. I don't care what they say or how good of friends you are with them or how nice they are to you, trust me when I say that they will wash their hands clean of it if you do have a problem in the future. The fact that they are doing the install off hours right there tells you that this isn't exactly on the books and legit. I've been in this game a long time. And I've dealt with blown engines, blown transmissions, you name it...and all from people who I thought were pretty decent. Things change and quickly when you show up on a flat bed. Learn from me...lol!!

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #8 of 9 Old 09-03-2013, 04:22 AM

did he delete the warranty part. I dont see him saying anything about warranty. The only way to keep the warranty is if you get a GM performance tune for your cam. Im not sure if they're ok with headers. Do go Long tube headers.

2012 2SS/RSM6 Silver with Painted CarbonFlash rally stripes,3.91gears, NewEra ported TB,OTR, HeritageGrill, NightFury cam, Melling296 Oilpump, KatechCR-5 chain, Cloyes LS2HD tensioner, PAC 1205x springs and Comp Cams trunion upgrade. American Racing1 7/8"LT headers w/cats, and TWM fullShifter BMRsways,trailing arms,toe rods, delrin cradle bushings,BK039rear control arm bushingkit,front suspension bushing kit. Solo Mach XL exhaust 25% Fluidampr
post #9 of 9 Old 04-30-2014, 08:09 PM

LS3 Motor has LS6 springs OEM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page