Need help on a tune! - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-17-2013, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Need help on a tune!

Ok guys just got my car back from my cam being put in. I have a brand new Diablo InTune I1000 tuner. They told me if i do it right it would really wake the cam up. But i dont know crap about tunes. They told me to mess with my injector settings. I have no idea. What do i change and what do i change it to?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-17-2013, 02:35 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Have a mail order tune done. Tampa Tuning is one of the best, plus they're a forum sponsor.

Tampa Tuning

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.deffendall View Post
Ok guys just got my car back from my cam being put in. I have a brand new Diablo InTune I1000 tuner. They told me if i do it right it would really wake the cam up. But i dont know crap about tunes. They told me to mess with my injector settings. I have no idea. What do i change and what do i change it to?

Thanks!
Let me give you some advice...DO NOT do anything with that tune yourself and DO NOT drive that car until it is tuned correctly. Nothing other than a dyno tune can accurately and properly tune a car once a cam with different specs is installed. This isn't a cold air intake or headers. Those can be tuned with relative ease through a custom emailed tune. A cam is different. Different lift, duration, and LSA on the intake and exhaust lobes. These all change how an engine operates at every RPM. DO NOT mess with those injector settings. Especially if you don't know anything about how they work. It isn't all just about the injector slopes anyway. Your spark tables and MAF function tables will need adjusting as well. And if you don't know how they work, you can seriously damage your engine. Frankly, that company that installed the cam should not have let you drive off with the car that way...under no circumstances. Any shop or mechanic who knows even the basics of how engines operate would know better than to do that.

And look, don't take any of this the wrong way. I'm not attacking you or your build. But I suggest you park your car and have it towed to that shop first thing Monday morning or the next time they're open and have them dyno tune the car correctly. And make sure you have that warranty (if any) in writing and handy. Because if you've been driving that car and getting on it with that cam in it and untuned, then chances are you're gonna need that warranty. Keep us posted.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!

post #4 of 12 Old 08-24-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:

Thanks!
Is this "they" you speak of some shade tree mechanic? Call Tampa tuning...
post #5 of 12 Old 08-24-2013, 03:31 PM

I cant believe they let you leave like that. It's like a dentist drilling your tooth and telling you to fill it yourself.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-24-2013, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah PM Phil @ Tampa Tuning.

2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS ZEX Wet Shot, Typhoon 63 series CAI, DR Formato Tuned
JULY 2013 M.O.M winner!

post #7 of 12 Old 08-25-2013, 06:17 AM
ModernCamaro.com Sponsor

Thanks guys.
I do find it odd that a shop would do an install and not have a tuner lined up for you. I sell a lot of Mail order tunes but its only with HP Tuners. The more you do to the car, the harder it is to make the mail order tune work properly. With bolt ons, its easy to do. With forced induction, I really dont do mail orders on because guys mix an match parts so much so much can go wrong.

I know a shop that only does one kind of forced induction build and they use the same tune over and over again and just plus or minus some timing and fueling. That's crazy.

I would not "mess with the injectors" unless you have changed injectors. Then if you have, I use a spread sheet on specific injectors. You can just wing it.

If you use an cheaper off brand injector and they didn't supply the calibration data, it doesn't work. Ive seen local shops drill out injectors to flow higher numbers. That's great that you have 30 pound injectors that flow 40 pounds now, but where's the data I need for all the voltage changes and pulse strategies.

Injectors are where the tuning starts. If that information is not correct, the rest of the calibration will be calculated incorrectly.

If you have HP Tuners, I may be able to help you depending on your build. If you dont, google a dyno shop near you and have the car done right.

I hope that helps,
Phil

Check out your car on our facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/tampa.tuning

Tampa Tuning: [email protected]
post #8 of 12 Old 09-03-2013, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks every one! and thanks Phil! Well they told me it would be fine to drive lol! I mean it runs fine and you can hear the cam and you can tell the power increase but they say the tune will double the sound and power. Only other things im doing is headers and cold air intake. Also functional ZL1 ram air hood it being put on if thats helps. Speedy Dyno in Owesnboro KY is wanting to tune my car. SCT tune and dyno run.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-03-2013, 09:53 PM

Don't drive your car without a tune. Don't even start it.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks every one! and thanks Phil! Well they told me it would be fine to drive lol! I mean it runs fine and you can hear the cam and you can tell the power increase but they say the tune will double the sound and power. Only other things im doing is headers and cold air intake. Also functional ZL1 ram air hood it being put on if thats helps. Speedy Dyno in Owesnboro KY is wanting to tune my car. SCT tune and dyno run.
i dont know why they told u that, but an untuned cammed car is very dangerous

2012 1SS/RS IBM M6 Halltech YellowJacket CAI, Kooks 1/7/8 LT's Corsa Sport CatBack SLP 160 Stat
426/424 rwhp/rwtq Kaltech Tune SOLD!!!!

April 2013 COTM Winner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page