What system is best - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-07-2013, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
What system is best

I'm fixing to a supercharger or turbo on my car and I was wanting to get some feed back on what system is getting the best results. I have a cam with 1 7/8" headers, borla attack exhaust and ported and polished heads.

I wanna go fast!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

You need to find out if the cam specs are more suitable for a turbo or a superharger. Turbos and superchargers a very different from each other. And different types of superchargers are different from each other also. I could spend a day writing about all the differences, advantages, and disadvantages for each. But I will just give you the basics.

Turbos. You need to decide if you want a single turbo or twin turbo system. I would recommend a twin. It costs more money but it's cooler to look at, more impressive, and in some applications can give better performance than a single. They will probably cost you from about $9,000 to over $10,000 give or take. And you'll be looking at being without your car for probably a week to in some cases a few weeks. Some companies have to have your car there as they build the turbo system since every car has different space tolerances and such. Turbos have a little boost lag but newer systems are more advanced so the lag isn't as bad as it was years ago. Since the turbo does not build boost using the engines cranking power, you will make more hp per pound of boost than a supercharger will. Turbos are the most efficient because of this. If something were to go wrong with your system, they are a little more difficult to fix than a supercharger and would probably require you to bring it to the shop that installed it. You will have to use your stock manifolds for a turbo system. So you can kiss your headers goodbye. But you won't miss them trust me.

Superchargers. You have twin screw style, roots style, and centrifugal style. Roots style are officially called "blowers" because they technically do not pressurize the air. They simply blow air into the engine. The term blower is used interchangeably but technically a blower is a roots style supercharger. These heat up more quickly per pound of boost than twin screws and centris. And they are the least efficient. They use the engine to spin so while they add a significant amount of power they also rob some of that power. So you will more than likely make less power per pound of boost also. I'm not sure if there are any legitimate roots style superchargers for the Camaro but if there are then I would steer clear of them. For the price the other 2 options are better.

Twin screws are top mount and look similar to roots. They sit on top of the engine. They compress air inside their housing and the air is forced into the engine. The advantage of these over centris is that they make more low end hp and torque. And they can get to full boost quicker. So once you mash that pedal you will be throw back into the seat. They even make more low end torque than turbos despite being less efficient. Twin screws and centris are about the same in efficiency. You can find some places that will install and tune these for around $7,000 total. So they are less expensive, less complicated, and if something were to fail, you could probably fix it yourself.

Centris are front mount superchargers like Vortech and Paxton and Procharger. They build boost as the engine spins faster and make more hp and tq higher in the RPMs than a twin screw. They also compress air in the housing however they still use the engine for boost. So they do rob some hp. You can get systems installed and tuned for the same price as the twin screws.

So again it depends on what you want, what you can afford, how you want your power to come on, and also that cam you have. If your cam is more suited for a supercharger, then you will lose a significant amount of performance if you chose a turbo. Because you would not have a properly matched combo. If you tell me your specs then I will do some research for you when I get some time.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #3 of 7 Old 09-07-2013, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The specs of the cam are 231/243 .617/.624 I also upgraded the push rods, valve springs and rocker arms. With this cam I have lost some bottom end and I was kind of disappointed in that but its all good. I'm looking to put at least 500+ at the wheels. And I appreciate all the help bro.

I wanna go fast!!!

post #4 of 7 Old 09-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member

Even without the cam any supercharger will get you over 500 whp at the very least. What is the LSA of the cam?

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #5 of 7 Old 09-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtraSSh View Post
The specs of the cam are 231/243 .617/.624 I also upgraded the push rods, valve springs and rocker arms. With this cam I have lost some bottom end and I was kind of disappointed in that but its all good. I'm looking to put at least 500+ at the wheels. And I appreciate all the help bro.
Excellent start on the upgraded push rods/springs/rockers etc.

I would talk with a tuner about what you already have, where you want to be HP wise (think about if you want room to grow down the road -IE 416-418-427 stroker etc), and come up with a plan & solution.

I gotta say I have NO regrets with my Magnuson. Sure it won't make the most HP on top and doesn't have much headroom for growth (Ted has upgrades to help with that ) but its power under the curve is insane!

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #6 of 7 Old 09-10-2013, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
Even without the cam any supercharger will get you over 500 whp at the very least. What is the LSA of the cam?
I dont have the LSA of the cam in front of me I'm overseas right now working. but I do appreciate all the info bro.

I wanna go fast!!!
post #7 of 7 Old 09-10-2013, 04:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtraSSh View Post
I dont have the LSA of the cam in front of me I'm overseas right now working. but I do appreciate all the info bro.
Ok I will check on the specs. LSA for supercharged engines are usually around 112-114. I've seen some cams going around 116 lately. Anything less than 112 is better suited for an NA engine. Get back to me when you get a chance to check it. Give me a few days and I'll see what I can find on your specs.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page