Thougths on Livernois cam kits? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-22-2014, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Thougths on Livernois cam kits?

2010 2SS M6
Mods: Bolt ons (PTB, step colder spark plugs, 160 degree thermo, CAI, LTH with high flow cats, tuned)

Talking with my local shop IPS in Ohio. Started talking cams. THey gave me a price range of 3k oout the door for the Livernois cam kit being cam, springs, rods, oil pump and timing chain etc (going from memory).

Usage: mainly street driver with occasional 1/4 mile track

What thinks ye? Good deal or no? Good manufacture to go with?

Link to possible cams:

http://store.ipsmotorsports.net/cama...-2/cams-2.html

Last edited by BBQdDude; 01-27-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-22-2014, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member

Why are you running one step colder plugs? And is that price for the cam kit including install and tuning? Because a lot of places are offering those kits with install and tuning for less than that.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #3 of 16 Old 01-22-2014, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

That was a ballpark they threw at me for out the door price being parts, labor and tune.

post #4 of 16 Old 01-24-2014, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

What are the cam specs? Is it an off the shelf cam or a custom one? And again, why are you running plugs that are 1 step colder? Just curious...

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #5 of 16 Old 01-24-2014, 10:34 AM

Here is a link to our camshaft choices and specs as well. 2010+ Camaro SS Camshafts We offer some excellent camshaft upgrade options and DOD delete packages. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or would like an estimate created to suit your needs.
-LMS
post #6 of 16 Old 01-24-2014, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
What are the cam specs? Is it an off the shelf cam or a custom one? And again, why are you running plugs that are 1 step colder? Just curious...
what does "one step colder" mean and / or do? I never heard of that

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #7 of 16 Old 01-24-2014, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83Hokie View Post
what does "one step colder" mean and / or do? I never heard of that
I've only seen people use plugs that were one step colder than stock on engines built with much higher than stock compression or with high boost or both. I had to run plugs that were on step colder on my Mustang a few years ago when I had an engine with a compression ratio was over 12:1. I think I was closer to 13:1. It helps prevent harmful detonation due to higher compression/boost making more heat. A colder plug will remove more heat. Some will go one step colder per every X amount of hp. I was just wondering why OP went colder. Not to criticize and not to say that he shouldn't have...just wondering.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #8 of 16 Old 01-25-2014, 02:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
I've only seen people use plugs that were one step colder than stock on engines built with much higher than stock compression or with high boost or both. I had to run plugs that were on step colder on my Mustang a few years ago when I had an engine with a compression ratio was over 12:1. I think I was closer to 13:1. It helps prevent harmful detonation due to higher compression/boost making more heat. A colder plug will remove more heat. Some will go one step colder per every X amount of hp. I was just wondering why OP went colder. Not to criticize and not to say that he shouldn't have...just wondering.
thanks, that's part of what I was looking for... but what is a one step colder plug? Not that I want one, but I mean how would I know what to buy; how do you identify one?

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
post #9 of 16 Old 01-25-2014, 06:13 AM
Veteran Member

You would have to go to a speed shop to get them or you can call NGK or whichever brand plugs you want and ask for them. Basically, just match up the part numbers and there you go. I don't know of any other way of looking at them or testing them to be sure. If you order them tho, the company will send you the right one. Sometimes the supercharger or turbocharger you buy will recommend plugs. Or even some aftermarket heads will recommend plugs. And those plugs will probably be a step colder.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #10 of 16 Old 01-25-2014, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member

Got it, thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page