My camaro is running rough - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-17-2014, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

My camaro is running rough

I've bought my 2011 Camaro fully bolted with an edelbrock supercharger kit, I don't know what all was done to it besides the things I have noticed briefly, It has the supercharger kit LS3, full exhaust header back, headers are BBK, not sure on the rest of the exhaust, it also has a spectre intake, I have noticed lately, that when I put my foot into it there is a lot of hesitation and the sound it makes is almost like a misfiring cylinder, I haven't had any lack of performance as it still goes sideways every time but it sputters and hesitates, even while taking off. I know there is the edelbrock tuner that came with the car, haven't ran any logs yet, but I plan to once the weather warms up. My first guess is to check the plugs, I plan to do that tomorrow. It also is really slow cranking at start up almost like the battery is dead and backfires when it does fire, I imagine that ties into whatever the problem is, has anyone else had a similar problem or know what the problem could be? Thanks for your time.

Last edited by sk8erdad; 03-17-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-18-2014, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Def check your battery and general system voltage. Things don't work right at low voltages. Even though your charging system may be up to snuff, not having a good "storage sink" (aka battery) will cause probs....

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #3 of 10 Old 03-18-2014, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I'm bringing it into the shop tomorrow and I will certainly mention that to him. Almost sounds like a spark plug is bad . I have quick response when I step on it but it just flutters at the exhaust. Under the hood it doesn't cough or hesitate. Really odd

Last edited by sk8erdad; 03-19-2014 at 11:07 AM.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-19-2014, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

I just got back from the shop. My mechanic hooked up the diagnostic machine and we took it for a rip and its was misfiring in cylinder six 380 times in a throttle push. Then it would misfire in cylinder 2 but not as bad then cylinder 4 would misfire and so on. Bottom line I need to drop it off for a few days to figure out what's going on. Early signs point to my spark plugs but it may be coils. Who knows what else. Hard to believe my plugs are bad at 23000 kilometers. Anybody with any other suggestions it would be greatly appreciated
post #5 of 10 Old 03-19-2014, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8erdad View Post
I just got back from the shop. My mechanic hooked up the diagnostic machine and we took it for a rip and its was misfiring in cylinder six 380 times in a throttle push. Then it would misfire in cylinder 2 but not as bad then cylinder 4 would misfire and so on. Bottom line I need to drop it off for a few days to figure out what's going on. Early signs point to my spark plugs but it may be coils. Who knows what else. Hard to believe my plugs are bad at 23000 kilometers. Anybody with any other suggestions it would be greatly appreciated
If the system voltage has checked out OK I would def pull a plug to see if they were changed out to something not designed to work with boost or the wrong heat range etc. Check the crank sensor/wiring. That is the main "trigger" point for all things spark related....

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #6 of 10 Old 03-20-2014, 04:01 AM
Support MC & Troops

Keep us updated

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #7 of 10 Old 03-21-2014, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member

Check your plugs and make sure they are the correct heat range. I would think that yours should be either 1 or 2 heat ranges colder than stock. If you can, post a pic or the part number and I can try to find out for you. Also make sure your plugs are gapped properly. When adding boost, your gap should be smaller than NA. So technically, your plugs might not be bad, they might just not be gapped properly. Also I'd say go under the hood again and go over everything. Make sure all your lines and hoses and wires are all connected and seated properly. Sometimes its the little things that you may have overlooked.

Couple questions...how long have you had the car? What tune was on it, the Edelbrock tune that comes preloaded with their superchargers or a dyno tune? Because the Edelbrock tune is designed specifically for an otherwise bone-stock engine. Those headers may be enough to throw the tune off. It should have been dyno tuned. Are the ignition coils stock or aftermarket? And does Edelbrock supply or recommend any specific plugs for the supercharger? Hopefully your mechanic has some answers for you by now.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #8 of 10 Old 03-22-2014, 09:05 PM

Modern ignition systems are pretty strong. As long as the gap is in the .030 to .040 range you are ok....I ran 28psi on .040 plugs on a 90's era GM DIS and it was fine (the head gasket was another story).

A hotter plug will produce the systems you are having. If you have a stock heat range plug with a super charger then that is most likely your issue.

I would start two steps colder. The plug will foul out earlier, but you should still get about 30-40k out of a 2 step colder plug instead of the 100k like the stock heat range plug....it just a little price you have to pay to play.

As mentioned above..What tune is in it? A tune can make or break the performance. I don't trust the mail order tunes. It should be tuned by some one that knows what he/she is doing. Every car is a little different...even if it is the same make/model with the same bolts ons.

Last edited by S.Bretz; 03-22-2014 at 09:09 PM. Reason: ****...I have had too many to drink tonight.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-23-2014, 12:06 PM

Good posts chapel & bretz. I suspect when # 6 plug is pulled it will show signs of detonation. All he is describing is leaning towards tune/lean related as well as what you guys listed. At least go NGK TR6 depending on boost, and .030-.032 gap. But I won't be surprised to see the dreaded detonation from a poor tune.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-31-2014, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Sorry to take so long to respond. I drive truck and was on the road for 2 weeks. I got the car fixed. The plugs were fine and the gap was fine. We changed the wires and that solved the problem. Now the car has no hesitation and seems quicker than when I bought it. I purchased the car after all this work was done. I am quite frustrated because I have no idea how deep the engine mods go. All I know about is the Edelbrock supercharger the headers and a cat back exhaust system. There are no performance shops anywhere around my area. My guess it has only the Edelbrock tune. I do have the Edelbrock tuner but don't know much about tuning so I have not played around with it. . Anybody in Eastern Ontario Canada that knows of a good place with a dyno that could help me understand what all has been done and what is left for me to do. Thanks to all the members who have commented. I truly appreciate your efforts.

Last edited by sk8erdad; 04-01-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page