CAI performance gains - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 06-01-2014, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 6
 
CAI performance gains

I just saw a Youtube video done by two Australian's that ran; stock air box, cone filter, CAI box, no air box at all and one they made that was unusable on the the street. All of the air boxes showed poorer or equal at best performance on the dyno than the stock air box. It was a very interesting video. I know we all do this, all my previous Camaros and Vette it was the first thing I did, and an engine is just an air pump more in and more out makes more power. Have seen all the ads showing dyno results but has anyone actually seen results with just a CAI change?
Herk14vertss is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 Old 06-01-2014, 09:09 AM
Premium Member
 
patriotpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,221
  
Garage
They are published on this site.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
patriotpa is online now  
post #3 of 29 Old 06-01-2014, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
 
hypurone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cali. North Bay
Posts: 1,925
 
Garage
Cuz we all know the search functions on these forums suck! And I'm in a benevolent mood Here is a link to the results Ted @ JRE gleaned from his testing:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VE&hl=en#gid=0

Which one? Depends on whether or not you want to re-tune the car or have to modify it to get the CAI to fit (fastlane & New Era etc)....

HINT: look closely at the CAI brand of intake, it got the best results without any tuning or having to mod the car to get it to fit....

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
hypurone is offline  
 
post #4 of 29 Old 06-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
 
83Hokie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,590
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Cuz we all know the search functions on these forums suck! And I'm in a benevolent mood Here is a link to the results Ted @ JRE gleaned from his testing:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VE&hl=en#gid=0

Which one? Depends on whether or not you want to re-tune the car or have to modify it to get the CAI to fit (fastlane & New Era etc)....

HINT: look closely at the CAI brand of intake, it got the best results without any tuning or having to mod the car to get it to fit....
That's pretty much how I ended up with CAI, but I do have a small bit of buyers remorse ... I would be perfectly happy, except I added a hood that allows for air flow and I wonder if I would have gotten more air flow into the intake with one of the CAIs that has an open top vice the enclosed box ... I'm good with what I got, but I do wonder (and, of course, I don't think there is a comparison out there with my hood versus the stock hood)

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
83Hokie is offline  
post #5 of 29 Old 06-02-2014, 04:15 AM
Senior Member
 
MidlifeSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern Vermont
Posts: 533
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83Hokie View Post
That's pretty much how I ended up with CAI, but I do have a small bit of buyers remorse ... I would be perfectly happy, except I added a hood that allows for air flow and I wonder if I would have gotten more air flow into the intake with one of the CAIs that has an open top vice the enclosed box ... I'm good with what I got, but I do wonder (and, of course, I don't think there is a comparison out there with my hood versus the stock hood)
I have the CIA brand and a zforce ram air hood and I took the glass out of the cover.I have a rubber seal that seals it between the hood and air box.You can also add a adm scoop to get a added gain in hp.


May 2014 MC Member of the Month!
MidlifeSS is offline  
post #6 of 29 Old 06-02-2014, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
 
hypurone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cali. North Bay
Posts: 1,925
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83Hokie View Post
That's pretty much how I ended up with CAI, but I do have a small bit of buyers remorse ... I would be perfectly happy, except I added a hood that allows for air flow and I wonder if I would have gotten more air flow into the intake with one of the CAIs that has an open top vice the enclosed box ... I'm good with what I got, but I do wonder (and, of course, I don't think there is a comparison out there with my hood versus the stock hood)
There is a rather large piece of plastic behind the grill (right behind the SS emblem) that blocks a LOT of flow to the airbox AND AC/Rad. I removed mine (2 push pin type fasteners), trimmed it and reattached just the face of it so I wouldn't see the silver frame part thru the grill. I inserted some closed cell foam to block a now open area that would allow air to travel downward vs into the airbox. This does require removal of the nose of the car but is well worth it...

Aside from the improvement in power for me, my running temp (coolant) dropped 4 degrees and my SC is barely warm after blasting around, even on 90 degree days....

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
hypurone is offline  
post #7 of 29 Old 06-02-2014, 03:32 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11
 
Here is something I posted on another forum that might be of interest here. Only IAT and MAP data, not HP, but might still interest some of you.

Below is a PDF file of some IAT Data I collected with a Cold Air Inductions intake and a Vararam Tune Model intake at the drag strip. Nothing fancy or scientific about the methodology, I just used the Ambient T, RH and Barometric P from the track's weather observations posted on Drag Times. The IAT numbers were retrieved from the car's ECM with EFILive data logs that I collected during my runs. No system in place as far time between runs, cool down strategy (hood open, hood closed, etc.), haphazard is the best way to describe it. This is raw data and I will not attempt to influence you with my conclusions. You'll have to look at the data and draw your own conclusions. Again, totally unscientific in methodology.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IATMAPData.pdf (44.2 KB, 242 views)
jbrown13 is offline  
post #8 of 29 Old 06-02-2014, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
 
83Hokie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,590
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
There is a rather large piece of plastic behind the grill (right behind the SS emblem) that blocks a LOT of flow to the airbox AND AC/Rad. I removed mine (2 push pin type fasteners), trimmed it and reattached just the face of it so I wouldn't see the silver frame part thru the grill. I inserted some closed cell foam to block a now open area that would allow air to travel downward vs into the airbox. This does require removal of the nose of the car but is well worth it...

Aside from the improvement in power for me, my running temp (coolant) dropped 4 degrees and my SC is barely warm after blasting around, even on 90 degree days....
I like how this sounds, but I am deathly afraid of removing my front end ... maybe one day down the road, but not yet

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
83Hokie is offline  
post #9 of 29 Old 06-02-2014, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
 
83Hokie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,590
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidlifeSS View Post
I have the CIA brand and a zforce ram air hood and I took the glass out of the cover.I have a rubber seal that seals it between the hood and air box.You can also add a adm scoop to get a added gain in hp.
adm scoop? I may have seen that somewhere, but don't recall anything about it ... I did wonder about doing something like you said with the CAI cover ... I have a RK Sport hood and I think there is air flow right to that point ... I might have to look at rigging something there ... what kind of rubber seals did you use?

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
83Hokie is offline  
post #10 of 29 Old 06-03-2014, 12:58 AM
Veteran Member
 
Chapel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,690
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk14vertss View Post
I just saw a Youtube video done by two Australian's that ran; stock air box, cone filter, CAI box, no air box at all and one they made that was unusable on the the street. All of the air boxes showed poorer or equal at best performance on the dyno than the stock air box. It was a very interesting video. I know we all do this, all my previous Camaros and Vette it was the first thing I did, and an engine is just an air pump more in and more out makes more power. Have seen all the ads showing dyno results but has anyone actually seen results with just a CAI change?
If you're talking about the video I think you're talking about then I would pay those two idiots absolutely no mind. Those guys were complete numbskulls and had no idea what they're talking about. If I remember correctly they rigged up an intake that looked like crap, their testing methods were impractical, they spent the whole video acting like fools, and their testing site was complete BS. Even the vehicle they used was a complete joke. Even if their test was accurate, able to be duplicated, and credible, you still can't draw the conclusion they drew as applicable to every vehicle.

Intakes have been tested for decades. They've been proven to work time and time again. There has been testing from manufacturers, magazines, and third parties that have all proven the same thing. And even those who don't use dynos have proven results at the track. I'll admit that the manufacturers always exaggerate the gains for marketing purposes. However the actual results speak for themselves. Vehicle manufacturers fashion the intakes for specific reasons. Engine noise control, emissions, fuel economy, filtering harmful debris, etc are all factored in. Aftermarket companies make intakes specifically for improving performance. A proper cold air intake will outperform a stock intake in almost all cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown13 View Post
Here is something I posted on another forum that might be of interest here. Only IAT and MAP data, not HP, but might still interest some of you.

Below is a PDF file of some IAT Data I collected with a Cold Air Inductions intake and a Vararam Tune Model intake at the drag strip. Nothing fancy or scientific about the methodology, I just used the Ambient T, RH and Barometric P from the track's weather observations posted on Drag Times. The IAT numbers were retrieved from the car's ECM with EFILive data logs that I collected during my runs. No system in place as far time between runs, cool down strategy (hood open, hood closed, etc.), haphazard is the best way to describe it. This is raw data and I will not attempt to influence you with my conclusions. You'll have to look at the data and draw your own conclusions. Again, totally unscientific in methodology.

The other night I datalogged. It was like 68 degrees F and my IATs stayed consistently at ambient to 3-5 degrees F warmer than ambient while the car was moving at 50 mph. While stopped for a few minutes they crept up to 90 degrees F but went right back to ambient once I started moving again! I have Vararam tune model.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
Chapel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome