FAST Intake - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-09-2014, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

FAST Intake

I got one of these Fast 102 intake manifolds installed on my Camaro SS. After tune I was very unhappy with my Dyno results. I lost 20 ftlb Torque at 1500 RPM and was still minus torque till 3000 Rpm. From there up it was 0 to +4 ftlb..Horsepower was hardly changed thru rev range, up 4 HP at 6300 RPM.What a waste of time and money. And to top it off the manifold pushes the throttlebody motor cover foward into the belt tensioner wheel. I use to have a really quick car out the hole, now I don't. That thing is comeing off when I get some time. Then I'm going to take it down to the river and throw it in!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-10-2014, 02:03 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Talk to your tuner. Post up your results after the talk. That's unusual.

Not everyone can tune these motors.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-11-2014, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasWarren View Post
I got one of these Fast 102 intake manifolds installed on my Camaro SS. After tune I was very unhappy with my Dyno results. I lost 20 ftlb Torque at 1500 RPM and was still minus torque till 3000 Rpm. From there up it was 0 to +4 ftlb..Horsepower was hardly changed thru rev range, up 4 HP at 6300 RPM.What a waste of time and money. And to top it off the manifold pushes the throttlebody motor cover foward into the belt tensioner wheel. I use to have a really quick car out the hole, now I don't. That thing is comeing off when I get some time. Then I'm going to take it down to the river and throw it in!!
Thomas, are you comparing different dynos from different days? If so, then know that that is not a true A to B comparison. The proper way to do it would have been to dyno the car with the stock intake manifold 3 times first, then install the FAST intake manifold, and then do 3 pulls with the Fast installed. Because if you used a different dyno the first time, or if it was on a different day, then that may be the reason for the lower numbers.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!

post #4 of 7 Old 09-11-2014, 06:14 PM

Agree w/both above. Also, the FAST 102 really needs a good aggressive cam and CNC ported heads to really shine. The engine is basically a large air pump, and you just opened up the inlet side so now the ports and valves are holding it back as the choke point. Each component must compliment the rest. Tuner skills vary widely, but the engine must be put together using research on how each part will work with the rest.....and your complaint is a common one.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-11-2014, 06:32 PM

I am still waiting on vararam to finally finish their new crossram intake that should net great results with our ls3 engines. The fast 102 was made specifically for a built engine in a given rpm range more over requiring a larger 102 mm throttle body that a ls3 would not need until it is way up the food chain in power. I run a vmax and am at 550 flywheel hp and plan to not do my heads unless its a total rebuild as our heads flow great according to top builders up to and even over 600 hp, the runners vararam is building into their intake are able to be varied in length and much longer giving a car the more tunnel ram effect from being cross ram and I believe going to be one of the best new mods to come out for our engines. And they are stating up to and over 50 h.p. and 50 ft lbs to 60/60. I do not know what effect having such a aggressive cam as what I have will have with this intake but I am betting it will bump me to around 600 and cannot wait to try one. I will not do my heads as the cam I have surely would have make my pistons be flycut or worse cause other issues and I have 112 LSA which is close as is.
The tuner I used uses h.p. software and is the best in my area, I have heard many posts on other sites of tuners who are not so great, people buying cams and going off a name, or not researching things well and being disappointed in various products.
Though this may not be the biggest of forums we could have told you to expect very little results from the intake as it is meant not for just a stock or mildly modded engine. If I were you I would consider keeping it and waiting if your going to go to bigger and better things with the rest of your build, or selling it and waiting, or finding another tuner if yours is not the most competent as I went to a g.m. guru...not just some speed shop that does every car to tune mine.

2013 2ss/rs NPP CRT, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, Mast windage, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Trunnion upgrade, Cam motion stage 3, SP headers, Vmax PTB, Monster c7 dual clutch, Mgw shifter, Fluidampr 25%UDP, CAI induction, rocket racing wheels, clutch reservoir, bmr toes and trailing arms, Lpw diff cover , scanner, drl's led /fogs, elite catch can, MRT louvers, tint, ZL1 spoiler, stripes & badging, etc....
post #6 of 7 Old 01-07-2016, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Well now things have changed. I went with TrickFlow 255 heads and a Nick Williams 102 TB also Deatchwerks Injectors. Now I have a Beast. How about 545 Brake HP and 500 ft. lb TQ. All added parts have to work together. I found just a cam or just a manifold or just anything by itself will not give the gains you want , or what are claimed by their manufacturer. For a Nat. Asp fuel injected motor I am happy but severe wheel hop is now a big problem. Looking to BMR for help with this.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-08-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasWarren View Post
Well now things have changed. I went with TrickFlow 255 heads and a Nick Williams 102 TB also Deatchwerks Injectors. Now I have a Beast. How about 545 Brake HP and 500 ft. lb TQ. All added parts have to work together. I found just a cam or just a manifold or just anything by itself will not give the gains you want , or what are claimed by their manufacturer. For a Nat. Asp fuel injected motor I am happy but severe wheel hop is now a big problem. Looking to BMR for help with this.

To over simplify, an internal combustion engine is a "big air pump" so anytime you are changing either induction side or exhaust side every aspect of flow and velocity must be taken into consideration.

You have the correct combo now!!! Good to see you got it all sorted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page