LOVE my new Borla 3" exhaust ... the note I have always wanted. - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-21-2014, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

LOVE my new Borla 3" exhaust ... the note I have always wanted.

Hey all,

So as you can see from my signature, I have a whipplecharged 2011 2SS with a PFAFF Racing Engine.

I had been running a "cheap and cheerful" 3" exhaust that was poorly made, way too loud. and always slipped and needed readjusting. In fact I added some 12" resonators in desperation to try and quieten it down. Helped a bit ... but still droned like a pig.

I have never liked overly loud exhausts ... I prefer a refined sound ... my perfect example is a Maserati ... sedate on idle, with a raw aggressive sweet V8 growl on acceleration. I learned that this is not easy to do on 732rwhp.

So after procrastinating and listening to all the different sounds on youtube (none of which really do them justice) ... I went for a Borla 3".

WOW! It is absolutely perfect - exactly the sound I have wanted from my last four V8s ... and never achieved because I was a tight ass and never wanted to part with the cash when I could get something that kind of did the same thing for cheaper.

Lesson learned!

Here's the youtube video of idle and kind of sedate drive off ... trying to avoid wheel spin, but not having that much luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIv6_8A74Ns

782.5rwhp 680 rwtq 2011 Inferno Orange 2SS, STRUT 22" Icon5 Rims & Grille Kit, Mahle Pistons, Manley Rods, Custom Comp Cam, ARP Bolts, Melling HV Oil Pump, Whipple SC, 3.5" Pulley, 8 Rib Pulley Kit, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Balancer, LT Headers, Borla 3" Exhaust, ADM Fuel Pump, 80lb/hr FIC Billet Tip Injectors, RX Monster Catch Can, CAI Intake, ADM Race Scoop, Mantic 9000 Series Clutch, Hurst Shifter, Eibach Springs. Motor built by PFAFF Engines. Fitted & tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-21-2014, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

Some of the cheap exhausts do sound good. But others sound tinny, raspy, have lots of drone, and are way too loud. I have OBX. To me it sounds really good. But those no-name brand Ebay exhausts for like $300 are horrible. Your Borla exhaust sounds nice and deep and throaty. Good choice!!

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #3 of 8 Old 10-21-2014, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
Some of the cheap exhausts do sound good. But others sound tinny, raspy, have lots of drone, and are way too loud. I have OBX. To me it sounds really good. But those no-name brand Ebay exhausts for like $300 are horrible. Your Borla exhaust sounds nice and deep and throaty. Good choice!!
Thanks Chapel!

Yeah I had an XS Power ... mind you it was VERY cheap. It may have been OK with a stock engine ... but not something putting down double the HP.

782.5rwhp 680 rwtq 2011 Inferno Orange 2SS, STRUT 22" Icon5 Rims & Grille Kit, Mahle Pistons, Manley Rods, Custom Comp Cam, ARP Bolts, Melling HV Oil Pump, Whipple SC, 3.5" Pulley, 8 Rib Pulley Kit, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Balancer, LT Headers, Borla 3" Exhaust, ADM Fuel Pump, 80lb/hr FIC Billet Tip Injectors, RX Monster Catch Can, CAI Intake, ADM Race Scoop, Mantic 9000 Series Clutch, Hurst Shifter, Eibach Springs. Motor built by PFAFF Engines. Fitted & tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.

post #4 of 8 Old 10-22-2014, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member

Question for you guys, if you know ... what does a stock exhaust cost? roughly? I am curious how much more I should be prepared to spend on a new exhaust ... flowmaster, borla, or obx, just to get an idea

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #5 of 8 Old 10-22-2014, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83Hokie View Post
Question for you guys, if you know ... what does a stock exhaust cost? roughly? I am curious how much more I should be prepared to spend on a new exhaust ... flowmaster, borla, or obx, just to get an idea
The factory LS3 exhaust MSRP is $1451.83, the L99 MSRP is $1528.45. That does not include the manifolds, front pipes or cats.

The Borla system I have sells on their online site for $1,701.71 ... It bolts straight up to the factory front pipes and includes all clamps etc. I had to modify it to bolt up to the headers, but that only cost $200! Bargain!

The difference between the Borla and the other systems I have seen comes down to quality. The joints are twice the length of the system I replaced and the clamp slots are all staggered to improve the seal and clamping to prevent slipping and leakage.

But where the really big difference is, is the mufflers ... I still can't believe that a straight through muffler can have such a refined and controlled sound and eliminate all of the popping on decal that low back pressure systems are renowned for. I honestly didn't think I could get a car with this much horsepower to sound this refined. Like I told someone ... it's more like a Lambo, zonda or Koenigsegg ... you can tell its tough when it's idling ... but when you get on it, it has a controlled aggressive scream that is not ridiculously loud ... but scary as all sh*@

I know some guys like ultra loud cars ... I tolerated that for nearly 3 years, and hated it. My view is this ... the car is over 850HP ... the lumpy idle and blower whine tell the story ... I don't need it to be loud to prove anything to anyone.

I'll leave that to the boy racers with their stock engines and straight through pipes. But hey ... I get it ... I was a boy racer once.

post #6 of 8 Old 10-23-2014, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.w View Post
Thanks Chapel!

Yeah I had an XS Power ... mind you it was VERY cheap. It may have been OK with a stock engine ... but not something putting down double the HP.
I'm surprised to hear that about XS Power. I've always heard good reports about them. You get the headers, catless X, and cat-back for like $900 right? Well at least your new set-up sounds really good!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83Hokie View Post
My OBX set-up cost about a little over $1100. I think I remember the headers being like $675 with HF cats and like $500 with catless extensions. The prices have gone down a bit since then. And the cat-back was about $575 or something like that. Again, the price for that has gone down as well. I like how my OBX sounds. I'll post some clips from some drive-bys I did as well as when I went to the track a few months ago.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #7 of 8 Old 10-23-2014, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
I'm surprised to hear that about XS Power. I've always heard good reports about them. You get the headers, catless X, and cat-back for like $900 right? Well at least your new set-up sounds really good!!

My OBX set-up cost about a little over $1100. I think I remember the headers being like $675 with HF cats and like $500 with catless extensions. The prices have gone down a bit since then. And the cat-back was about $575 or something like that. Again, the price for that has gone down as well. I like how my OBX sounds. I'll post some clips from some drive-bys I did as well as when I went to the track a few months ago.
Yeah ... that's the system. I had issues with it slipping, leaking and dropping and touching the cross member from day 1. Really should have been welded, that would have fixed that problem.

I also got frustrated with how loud it was and how much it droned ... which is why I added the 12" resonators. Helped a bit ... but still just obnoxiously loud. Once I took the XS power off, I laid it and the Borla down side by side .... MASSIVE difference.

I fitted a similar system to the XS Power to my Holden SSV Commodore in Australia ... with similar issues with sound. It was an X-Force. Fitted OK, and all the joins were 3-bolt flanges (we don't use ****ty clamps down under) ... but man it was looooouuddd! I got a citation for excessive noise four days after it was fitted ... so I ended up putting on their "Varex" bi-modal mufflers ... which have a butterfly in them. Once again however ... they sounded crap and killed the power when closed, and were straight through and too loud when open.

The only decent exhaust available for that car was from a company called De Fillipo ... and it cost over $4k for headers, cats, exhaust!! ... I only ever heard one on a car, and man it sounded sweet ... much like my new Borla.

These cheaper systems are probably OK with stock or mild engines ... but once you start heading north of 700rwhp, they are subjected to too much torque ... AND struggle to control the dB level.

post #8 of 8 Old 10-24-2014, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks guys, that gives me a range and variety ... I "think" I am going to add LT headers and hi-flo cats once my warranty is gone ... I do not want my car to get too loud and it must pass inspection ... thankfully, I am not in one of the VA areas that have emissions inspection, so I do not have to worry about that. I do want a little bit more sound, but not a lot. I tend to believe this will be my only power upgrade, but you never know. The stock exhaust is more than I was guessing, so that definitely helps at looking at all angles.

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page