Experences With Underdrive Pulleys - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 12-15-2014, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Experences With Underdrive Pulleys

I have read many posts on the pros and cons of underdrive pulleys here and on Camaro5 and have determined that these two are of interest:

Fluidampr Harmonic Damper vs SLP Balancer/Underdrive Pulley

What are your experiences with them and why do you prefer one over the other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-15-2014, 04:34 PM
Premium Member

Garage
The accessories were designed for a specific RPM range. I'd leave it alone...unless you know more than GM's engineering team.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #3 of 18 Old 12-15-2014, 05:54 PM

From my experience (with other cars) its a lot of investment for a minimal gain.

Though the fluid filled dampeners do provide better harmonic absorbsion than the OEM rubber does and is a good idea if you twist the engine high in the rpms for extended periods of time (ie road racing).

post #4 of 18 Old 12-16-2014, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member

Not to contradict anyone here, everyone here is very knowledgeable. I did the mod. I have the SLP UDP. I've had it on my car for about a year and a half. I have had no problems with it. No cooling problems at all. I was DDing my car during a few weeks of 90-105 degree days in stop and go traffic and I had no cooling or electrical/charging issues. No problems whatsoever.

But I will advise you of this...when you, or if you, do the swap, make sure you go to a GM parts store (at a dealership) and get a brand new crank pulley bolt. The old one will be no good once it comes out. Don't even try to use it.

And also, make sure you, or whoever does the install, follow the torquing procedure to the letter. Do not skimp out, do not take a short cut, do not skip it at all. If you take the car to a shop to have a mechanic do it, then before you go, download and print out the torque procedure. Bring it with you, give it to the mechanic, and watch him do it exactly as it states and shows. I hate to sound all dramatic, but it is important that the torque procedure is followed. I can all but assure you that everyone that had problems was due to improper seating and torquing of that bolt. Outside of that, I am sure you'll have no problems.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #5 of 18 Old 12-16-2014, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

Here is the installation manual from SLP for their pulley. A different company may have a different set of instructions...

http://www.slponline.com/instructions/100230A.pdf

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #6 of 18 Old 12-17-2014, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
Here is the installation manual from SLP for their pulley. A different company may have a different set of instructions...

http://www.slponline.com/instructions/100230A.pdf
Thanks Chapel for you well thought out, unemotional responses.

Yes, the torquing procedures seem involved and from what you said critical to a successful install.

I noticed in the install instructions in step 2
"2 Install a suitable flywheel holding tool."
I looked around and all I found mentioned was a fitting that replaced the starter and keeps things from turning. I wasn't able to find one available for sale online for under a $100, this may be a show stopper for me. Maybe one of the auto parts stores have ones they rent or allow use of, I'll check around.
post #7 of 18 Old 12-17-2014, 03:52 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Hooray for Chapel!

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #8 of 18 Old 12-17-2014, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Well I called both AutoZone and O'Reilly's Auto Parts and neither had a flywheel holding tool for sale or rent.

If anyone has an idea please post it here.
post #9 of 18 Old 12-17-2014, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

Try GM, they should have what you need. It might cost you a bit of money tho. But wherever you go for the install, they should have it and every other tool you'll need. If I were you, I'd check the rates at a shop for the install and then compare that to the price of the tool. I can't see any shop charging more than $100 max. So if the tool comes out to more than that, then just have it professionally done...even more so if you've never done something like this before.

Or you can try this dude on LS1 tech forums. Here is the link:
Flywheel flexplate holders - LS1TECH

See if he still has them. It should work on your engine.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #10 of 18 Old 12-19-2014, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
Or you can try this dude on LS1 tech forums. Here is the link:
Flywheel flexplate holders - LS1TECH

See if he still has them. It should work on your engine.
I asked the Guy on LS1Tech and he said:
"Yes I have them. $35 Shipped in the USA $50 to canada..."

Thanks for the tip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page