What do you think of the BBK Varitune muffler and other variable flow exhaust designs - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-04-2015, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

What do you think of the BBK Varitune muffler and other variable flow exhaust designs

Hi all. Just curious what everyone thinks of this style of muffler. The ability to change the sound is intriguing. The GM style NPP on Vettes and Camaros, use a butterfly to give additional flow (noise). The Varitune has the benefit of being able to adjust the noise to your liking. The open cork(I don't know what else to call it) flow helps performance a little bit, but it still flows through the muffler as well. There is no true straight pipe ability in any current muffler design that I know of.

Would you put a Varitune on your ride because of the ability to adjust to your liking? I know crawling under the car is a pain, as is getting the turns of the cork shaft the same. It's funny but it seems like every style of exhaust cutout, whether butterfly ypipe, butterfly in the muffler or Varitune style is basically a controlled exhaust leak.

What say you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-11-2015, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member

I kee pit simple when it comes to exhaust. I get a cat-back, install it, and call it a day. No activating a switch to open it up, none of that. I keep it open all the time. And in these cars it is very bearable, even the drone. My Mustang tho, with 4.10s and the loud exhaust it has, that thing can be a pain after a few hours of driving. But the Camaro has really good sound control. Either way, whatever you get, you'll be happy with it. I just don't like the wiring of the NPP or the crawling under the car and all that jazz. No muss no fuss.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #3 of 6 Old 02-22-2015, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Understood, I just like to have the ability to have a pure open exhaust when I want it. I have not found any exhaust system that can give me that, It's always a compromise.

post #4 of 6 Old 02-22-2015, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member

Most systems have blow thru mufflers. Only a few of them have chambered mufflers. My mufflers are completely blow thru.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #5 of 6 Old 02-24-2015, 01:06 PM

Chapel---This isn't exactly the right thread for this question but would you recommend getting the existing TB ported or should I purchase a new Ported TB?

2014 SS/RS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust,
V-Max ported TB, Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers, Vitesse throttle controller, Stillen Splitter, Tint 35%, Gill Inserts, Carbon Fiber Bowties, ZL1 Rock Guards, Diode Dynamics lighting, Hood spears, Kenne Bell 2.8 Liquid cooled twin screw supercharger, BMR 1.24" drop springs in front and 1.0" rear, BMR sport sway bars front and back. GM GFX side skirts.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-28-2015, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
Chapel---This isn't exactly the right thread for this question but would you recommend getting the existing TB ported or should I purchase a new Ported TB?
Sorry to show up soo late, lol! Either way is fine. What I did is I bought a used TB off Ebay, sent it in as a core and they sent me a ported one. I did it that way because I didn't want any down time from taking my stock TB off and sending it in. Or you could just pay the full price, get the ported TB, install it, send your old one in, and they'll give you the core charge back. But either way they all are used TBs that get ported.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page