Bad Harmonic Balancer - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-20-2015, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Bad Harmonic Balancer

My co-worker has a 2011 SS auto, and she just found out that her harmonic balancer is bad.

She said the car has high miles, but I was curious if anyone else has had this problem too.

I told her that I'd ask on the various Gen5 Camaro forums.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-20-2015, 09:53 AM

GM has not used harmonic balancer's since the 80's as all engines are now internally balanced. I suspect they are referring to the crank dampener? They have an elastomeric bond between the inner and outer hub and yes, they break down and you can see a wobble at idle. New replacement is less than $100. Common to see these fail on LS engines after 5 years or so.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-20-2015, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
GM has not used harmonic balancer's since the 80's as all engines are now internally balanced. I suspect they are referring to the crank dampener? They have an elastomeric bond between the inner and outer hub and yes, they break down and you can see a wobble at idle. New replacement is less than $100. Common to see these fail on LS engines after 5 years or so.
Thanks for the information.

BTW... I was under the impression that terms "harmonic balancer" & "crank dampener" were synonymous, but I guess I revealed my lack of technical & mechanical knowledge.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-21-2015, 08:03 AM

Common misconception. A harmonic balancer not only dampens vibration and harmonics, it also if you look at the back side has weight carved out in relation to how the crankshaft is balanced, and it also takes a external balanced flex plate or flywheel as well. A crank dampener is used on internally balanced rotating assembly's ....and most all modern engines are now internally balanced for longevity. Older engines did the balancing externally with the harmonic balancer and flywheel/flex plate.

Most mechanics though should know this so if the car was diagnosed by a shop, I would be cautious as to their expertise.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-21-2015, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Common misconception. A harmonic balancer not only dampens vibration and harmonics, it also if you look at the back side has weight carved out in relation to how the crankshaft is balanced, and it also takes a external balanced flex plate or flywheel as well. A crank dampener is used on internally balanced rotating assembly's ....and most all modern engines are now internally balanced for longevity. Older engines did the balancing externally with the harmonic balancer and flywheel/flex plate.

Most mechanics though should know this so if the car was diagnosed by a shop, I would be cautious as to their expertise.
Great explanation!... Thanks for the information.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-22-2015, 10:16 AM

No problem. Any tech questions, just ask. Been doing this for 42 years and do webinar training for dealer techs all over the world. Don't always have time with new job to visit forums, but still try.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-24-2015, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosesBarkley View Post
My co-worker has a 2011 SS auto, and she just found out that her harmonic balancer is bad.

She said the car has high miles, but I was curious if anyone else has had this problem too.

I told her that I'd ask on the various Gen5 Camaro forums.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Stock Harmonic balancers on the LS engines have been causing trouble since the 1997 LS1 Vette. Some will last, some wobble, others come apart doing damage to the engine.
When i change these i don't waste my money on another stock balancer. You can get a SLP for $250.00 or what some consider the best, ATI for $400.00.

Bob
post #8 of 9 Old 03-24-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427cubicinches View Post
Stock Harmonic balancers on the LS engines have been causing trouble since the 1997 LS1 Vette. Some will last, some wobble, others come apart doing damage to the engine.
When i change these i don't waste my money on another stock balancer. You can get a SLP for $250.00 or what some consider the best, ATI for $400.00.

Bob
ATI is second to none in quality...good advice (just make sure you don't order a harmonic balancer....you want a crank dampener). We use nothing but ATI on all our race engines.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-24-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
ATI is second to none in quality...good advice (just make sure you don't order a harmonic balancer....you want a crank dampener). We use nothing but ATI on all our race engines.
ATI Harmonic balancer or Crank damper what i use. I pin them to the crank while i am there.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ati-918629
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page