DI for V-8's - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 07-22-2008, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

DI for V-8's

Is there any knowledge or expectation on when DI will be coming to the small block V-8's

Last edited by petervegas; 07-22-2008 at 04:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

who knows...it was brought up today on the online chat...the question was basically "why DI 6cyl and no DI 8cyl?"...and the answer was simply..."the LS3 has multi-port injection". I would imagine a DI 8cyl will be in the next generation of 'vette before the Camaro.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-22-2008, 06:17 PM

Or maybe some sort of Z28????

1994 Z28 Autobot

I would like to thank the person that came up with these fine avatar and signature's.

post #4 of 14 Old 07-23-2008, 11:05 PM

DI V8s should be on the next gen small blocks. I read from a fairly decent industy publication that year 2009 is supposedly the last scheduled year that any NEW GM product will launch with a GenIV V8. That can be interpreted several ways though. For example (I am making things up here), lets say that there is a 2010 release of a supercharged Z28 model. It is a new trim, but is it technically a new "model"? I would argue "no", it is still the same Camaro, so a port injected 6.2 SC engine would be feasible. All just wild speculation on my part of course. Draw your own conclusions. I am not claiming to know anything from an inside source by any means.

GM has spent a lot of money and time developing the coupe and the vert. The design was pretty much from scrap. I still cant believe they went from concept in Jan/06 to Production in Feb/09. 3 years for a full model change starting from scratch means they were going balls-to-the-wall that whole time. Very impressive. Anyways, getting to my point, my honest opinion is that there wont be a Z28 SC model like some people are hoping - at least not for the first 3yrs. Who knows, I could be proven wrong though. I know one thing for sure, and that is the fact that I wont be sitting around waiting for such a model.

Back to the topic (sorry i got off course). It seems to me that 2010 would be the first possible opportunity for anything to launch with a DI V8. And you can bet that the Corvette or a Caddy would be the first to get it. And if it ends up being the C7 Vette to get it first, then that is quite a ways off.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-24-2008, 12:21 AM
Supporting Super Moderator

There will be no new GenIV engines and GenV engines will be DI capible.

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress
post #6 of 14 Old 07-24-2008, 09:30 AM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonppr View Post
There will be no new GenIV engines and GenV engines will be DI capible.
Yeah they did say that the LS3 would be the last GenIV engine made.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-25-2008, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Maybe not so far off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie Boy View Post
Back to the topic (sorry i got off course). It seems to me that 2010 would be the first possible opportunity for anything to launch with a DI V8. And you can bet that the Corvette or a Caddy would be the first to get it. And if it ends up being the C7 Vette to get it first, then that is quite a ways off.
GM has on several occasions put the "new" engine in the old body style vette a year or two before the new body style came out... Maybe they will do it again?
post #8 of 14 Old 07-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by petervegas View Post
GM has on several occasions put the "new" engine in the old body style vette a year or two before the new body style came out... Maybe they will do it again?
Camaro too. LT1 LS1.

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress
post #9 of 14 Old 07-25-2008, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

I hope your are wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie Boy View Post
Anyways, getting to my point, my honest opinion is that there wont be a Z28 SC model like some people are hoping - at least not for the first 3yrs. Who knows, I could be proven wrong though. I know one thing for sure, and that is the fact that I wont be sitting around waiting for such a model.
Hi BtB,

Please do not take it offense, but I am certainly hoping you are proven wrong

Peter
post #10 of 14 Old 07-25-2008, 09:19 PM

putting direct injection into a head with the valves side by side rather than opposing each other (well opposing two by two since the 3.6 is four valve) may not be possible. getting a di engine to run and operate smoothly is no easy feat. di has been around for many years and was unable to be used in passenger cars in this country due to poor driveability and high emmissions out the tailpipe...the fuel management advances in the software is a big part of why you see di engines now. gm was also trying to utilize vvt on a cam in block (ohv) engine but without the multiiple cams,the advantages were nil.

i don't think you will see di on the pushrod engines...

jackg
06 sts6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page