E85 - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 07-23-2008, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
CJP
Veteran Member

Question E85

Will flex fuel be on Camaro? I wanted to get the L99 with AFM; but also heard that unlike the info put out by gas companies, E85 in some applications does get better gas mileage. I was wonder if if it does not come with it, can I convert it to run regular fuel and E85? Thanks for the help everyone is showing is answering my questions, and everyone's question as well.

Casey

Your Car, Your Story, only on COMBUSTION CHAMBER!
https://www.youtube.com/c/combustionchamber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-23-2008, 09:22 AM
Dan

Nope
post #3 of 14 Old 07-24-2008, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
CJP
Veteran Member

There's got to be something out there.

Your Car, Your Story, only on COMBUSTION CHAMBER!
https://www.youtube.com/c/combustionchamber

post #4 of 14 Old 08-23-2008, 05:05 AM

E-85 ethanol is used in engines modified to accept higher concentrations of ethanol. It got an octane rating of 100 - 105 with a rating of 87-93. Thus, it produced more power.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-23-2008, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member

No, E85 Flex Fuel will not be an option on the Camaros.

post #6 of 14 Old 08-24-2008, 10:01 PM

E85 does not get better gas mileage than regular gasoline, it gets the same or worse. The only benefit is the slightly cheaper price (Which no longer seems to be the case as it were this time last year) of E85 and the ability to say you are sticking it to the Middle East (Of Canada. Canada is the largest supplier of oil to the US in terms of quantity). Ethanol contains less energy than gasoline, thus requires that 15% carrier of gasoline.

Ethanol, LPG, LNG, all have been tried in cars, yet nothing is as efficient as good old, gasoline.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-24-2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80BBody View Post
E85 does not get better gas mileage than regular gasoline, it gets the same or worse. The only benefit is the slightly cheaper price (Which no longer seems to be the case as it were this time last year) of E85 and the ability to say you are sticking it to the Middle East (Of Canada. Canada is the largest supplier of oil to the US in terms of quantity). Ethanol contains less energy than gasoline, thus requires that 15% carrier of gasoline.

Ethanol, LPG, LNG, all have been tried in cars, yet nothing is as efficient as good old, gasoline.
Very true about nothing working as well as gasoline, on the other side of that, it is the result of decades of engineering going into gasoline engines as oppose to the others, but none of those things are the solution anyways. Hybrids are the future, not hydrogen, not E85, hybrids like the Volt. It will just take a while to perfect vehicles like the Volt just as it did with gasoline vehicles.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-25-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfaholic View Post
Very true about nothing working as well as gasoline, on the other side of that, it is the result of decades of engineering going into gasoline engines as oppose to the others, but none of those things are the solution anyways. Hybrids are the future, not hydrogen, not E85, hybrids like the Volt. It will just take a while to perfect vehicles like the Volt just as it did with gasoline vehicles.
The answer really is electric vehicles. With Powercast and Intel's 'wireless electricity', broadcasting electrical current through magnetic fields on a large scale, it would eliminate the limiting factor of a range on EVs and also allow them to lessen the size of their battery packs.

Currently though, Intel can only power a 60W light bulb from 200 feet away. They expect the technology to be perfected and deployed in large scale by 2050.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-25-2008, 10:55 AM
See You On Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80BBody View Post
Currently though, Intel can only power a 60W light bulb from 200 feet away. They expect the technology to be perfected and deployed in large scale by 2050.
Yeah, this is the technology of the future. Funny how they say it will take that long. Even funnier is that Tesla was doing it 50 years ago.

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

post #10 of 14 Old 08-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Dark Side Moderator

I hate to sound like Dr. McCoy from Star Trek, but I dont like the idea of "wireless power" being mass transmitted in the open air. Cell Phone waves are enough for me. I need to know more about this.

I hate to be stuck dead in a mall parking lot by an invisible lightning bolt when there is a "wireless surge". Creepy.

2005 Mustang GT-4.6L 3v /M5
2.3L Whipple Intercooled, 3.25'' pulley(11psi),FRPP 62mm TB, FRPP Stinger Axleback, UPR catted X-pipe, FRPP Handling Pack, 20'' Staggered Black Steeda Spyder Wheels, NT-05 Nittos, 3.73s, Hurst Shifter, and DF Centerforce Clutch
527rwhp, 479rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page