I like the AFM idea - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 07-25-2008, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Dom

I like the AFM idea

I know most are complaining about the lower power of L99, and AFM, but I like it. Why waste gas when you're not accelerating? Also L99 is identical internally so it's most likely the same power as the LS3. Just like the vette LS1 was 350hp and the identical fbody LS1 was 305hp. I'm just going to call it LS3 w/ AFM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

I like AFM as well. I doubt there are really any difference in HP outputs and if there are I do not doubt that it could be fixed with a tune. Besides the quarter mile times were about the same anyway.

The only thing I would ask for is Flex fuel option like on the 6.2L in the Escalade.

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress
post #3 of 19 Old 07-25-2008, 09:16 PM

I agree...

I am just hoping the tuner's (Lingenfelter, Calloway, Mallet, et. al.) offer packages for the L99 (without disabling the AFM).

They already have packages for the LS3. Any thoughts on the likelihood of tuner packages for the L99?

post #4 of 19 Old 07-25-2008, 09:16 PM
See You On Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonppr View Post
I like AFM as well. I doubt there are really any difference in HP outputs and if there are I do not doubt that it could be fixed with a tune. Besides the quarter mile times were about the same anyway.

The only thing I would ask for is Flex fuel option like on the 6.2L in the Escalade.
I was looking forward to that as well, and considering that GM has the tech, and they were pushing to make their models al flex-fuel, I'm kinds surprised it isn't. Not a deal breaker, but would have been nice. Only muscle car to offer it would have been an advertising home run as well.

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

post #5 of 19 Old 07-25-2008, 09:21 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by petervegas View Post
I am just hoping the tuner's (Lingenfelter, Calloway, Mallet, et. al.) offer packages for the L99 (without disabling the AFM).

They already have packages for the LS3. Any thoughts on the likelihood of tuner packages for the L99?
I am sure they will be available. AFM can be turned off and on with programs like HPtuners. I'm sure HP tuners will have it availiable as soon if not before it hits the showrooms.

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress
post #6 of 19 Old 07-25-2008, 09:25 PM

afm is a good idea but it needs to go further...it only works at hiway speeds and it takes a lot of cruising to make a difference in the fuel economy..that's why the epa numbers aren't different between the two v8's...the epa cycle is too short to reflect the fuel savings attributable to afm.

the big problem with afm is it doesn't work around town when you're idling for exampe...that's when a v8 is a real killer for fuel economy, not on the hiway..i would live with a little shudder if i could cut off half thecylinders sitting at a light.

jackg
06 sts6
post #7 of 19 Old 07-25-2008, 09:29 PM
See You On Course

That's where a hybrid is the best, too. Pull up to the light and the engine shuts off. Hit the gas, and the engine starts and runs. Wish they could make that practical for ALL cars. That would save a lot of gas overall.

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

post #8 of 19 Old 07-25-2008, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgreat View Post
afm is a good idea but it needs to go further...it only works at hiway speeds and it takes a lot of cruising to make a difference in the fuel economy..that's why the epa numbers aren't different between the two v8's...the epa cycle is too short to reflect the fuel savings attributable to afm.

the big problem with afm is it doesn't work around town when you're idling for exampe...that's when a v8 is a real killer for fuel economy, not on the hiway..i would live with a little shudder if i could cut off half thecylinders sitting at a light.

jackg
06 sts6
I thought it activated whenever you coasted or idled. I don't know much about it, but I just assumed that.

Maybe instead of tuning it out, we can tune it in even more. I'd like to have it turn on whenever I'm not on the gas. When I'm stopped, braking, in reverse, below 2k coasting. I really don't use my LS1 to it's full potential. Most of the time I'm commuting around town and it hasn't seen WOT in a long time.
post #9 of 19 Old 07-25-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUONCRS View Post
That's where a hybrid is the best, too. Pull up to the light and the engine shuts off. Hit the gas, and the engine starts and runs. Wish they could make that practical for ALL cars. That would save a lot of gas overall.
Good point, I totally agree!
post #10 of 19 Old 07-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member

So who's buying a 400hp Prius?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page