Calculating HP - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2008, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Calculating HP

What is the proper formula to calculate hp at the rear wheels? If it is going to be 422 at the crank, what will it be at the wheels?

IBM RS/SS: Vortech V3 (7.5lbs/boost) Trinity/Dyno Tune/Texas Speed LT w/Magnaflow Comp MGW Shifter/Tint/Heritage Grill/AVIC Z120 Orion Sub & Amp/Bravado Wheels (20 x9.5/11) Just fast enough ... for now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Assuming the average drivetrain losses are 17-20%, simply multiply the 422 crank hp by .83-.80 and you come up with 355-337 rwhp. These are estimates so it all depends on the efficiency of the drivetrain.

I found this to be a very good read, albeit quite technical but a wealth of information.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Thank you!

IBM RS/SS: Vortech V3 (7.5lbs/boost) Trinity/Dyno Tune/Texas Speed LT w/Magnaflow Comp MGW Shifter/Tint/Heritage Grill/AVIC Z120 Orion Sub & Amp/Bravado Wheels (20 x9.5/11) Just fast enough ... for now!

Old 08-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Dark Side Moderator

As you can see 422hp rating is severely underated. Since this time around the vette and Camaro have an IRS, the drivetrain loss should be near the same. As mentioned before the LS3 vette average over 390 to the rear wheels thru a M6. Lets say that the camaro and the vette both have a drivetrain loss of 20%.

x
390rwhp
= 468hp

The vette's LS3 is rated at 436hp. But musters 32hp to the wheels.
I strongly believe that the differences (pulley, alternator mounting, and intake) will effect the Camaro at the very least. If it does effect it at all, and considering the corvette's LS3 response to bolt-ons; it become a moot point in the end when comparing vehicle mod for mod on the dyno.

I think the Camaro will pull at least 390rwhp on dyno stock.

2005 Mustang GT-4.6L 3v /M5
2.3L Whipple Intercooled, 3.25'' pulley(11psi),FRPP 62mm TB, FRPP Stinger Axleback, UPR catted X-pipe, FRPP Handling Pack, 20'' Staggered Black Steeda Spyder Wheels, NT-05 Nittos, 3.73s, Hurst Shifter, and DF Centerforce Clutch
527rwhp, 479rwtq
Old 08-02-2008, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
As you can see 422hp rating is severely underated. Since this time around the vette and Camaro have an IRS, the drivetrain loss should be near the same. As mentioned before the LS3 vette average over 390 to the rear wheels thru a M6. Lets say that the camaro and the vette both have a drivetrain loss of 20%.

x
390rwhp
= 468hp

The vette's LS3 is rated at 436hp. But musters 32hp to the wheels.
I strongly believe that the differences (pulley, alternator mounting, and intake) will effect the Camaro at the very least. If it does effect it at all, and considering the corvette's LS3 response to bolt-ons; it become a moot point in the end when comparing vehicle mod for mod on the dyno.

I think the Camaro will pull at least 390rwhp on dyno stock.

That would be awesome. My goal is 500 rwhp. I should be able to bolt that on fairly easily. Thanks Jinx!

Old 08-02-2008, 10:01 PM

Figure its a close setup to the GTO and average rwhp #s for it was 330 give or take with the 400 hp LS2
Old 08-05-2008, 03:19 PM

CAI, headers, cam and a good tune....Should give it some **** good RWHP numbers.
Nice lumpy cam with electric cutouts. Gotta keep the stock mufflers for the stealth mode.

Challenger. GT 500.

Ed Parker
07 Trailblazer SS
369 rwhp 364 rwtq
Tuned by Vengeance Racing
Old 08-05-2008, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaSS View Post
CAI, headers, cam and a good tune....Should give it some **** good RWHP numbers.
Nice lumpy cam with electric cutouts. Gotta keep the stock mufflers for the stealth mode.

Challenger. GT 500.
Everyone says "good tune". My question is where do I get one?

Old 08-05-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Kills View Post
I'm in the same boat, I know a performance shop that could probably do it, but what would I need......does that imply I would need to purchase a programmer?.......Sorry Speed Kills I didn't mean to steal your question, just thinking the same thing.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Kills View Post

I'm sure there is a sponsor on here from the west coast area that can handle it. We have a few really good ones here in Georgia. (Atlanta area)
You can check some of the vette boards, I'm sure they could tell you where to go around your part of the country. I have not checked the sponsor list on here yet. So I dont want to put any companys name on here.

Ed Parker
07 Trailblazer SS
369 rwhp 364 rwtq
Tuned by Vengeance Racing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in