So how's it sound? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 09-12-2008, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Question So how's it sound?

Well, I thought I'd find several discussions in here about it, but maybe they're stuffed into some other area. How does the sucker sound? After reading in C/D how the Challenger team was so proud of how raucous they left its exhaust note and subsequently leaning half my body out the window at a light trying to tell whether the one next to me was running or not, I'm pretty sure domestic* manufacturers are bent over by some unfathomable regulation to keep idle noise boring. When I look at a Camaro, my mind wants it to sit there thrumming contentedly at idle, moving subtly to the beat of a loping cam, emitting just a smile-forcing low, deep, breathy presence. And I can't quite describe in words what it ought to sound like when the hammer's dropped, but it's something Wagner might have conjured to describe the sound of the world being ripped in two, the kind of sound that you just do not expect to come from anything as lowly as a car, a ruckus that has mothers shielding their children for a mile in any direction and artillerymen clutching their hearts with pride.

Well, of course it won't live up to my imagination, but for those in the test loop and those who seem to be claiming to have played on the lot with them, what DOES it sound like? For that matter what kind of comparable vehicles with these powerplants sound like what with current aftermarket offerings? How does the exhaust setup look to those who do a lot of exhausts, and what sounds like a good place to start looking at possible setups?

* - Domestic? As opposed to IMPORTS? Yeah, Italian ones. Gotta love a car company that employs specific people who do nothing but tune exhaust notes like firebreathing pianos :>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 09-12-2008, 09:31 PM
See You On Course

They've spent a lot of time, and had a lot of ears working on the sound. I'm hoping the SS is loud, because that's one thing I will change, but I don't want to have to.

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

post #3 of 36 Old 09-12-2008, 11:00 PM
I drive a Honda

It won't be loud, modern exhaust are designed to be quite. :-( Granted, it may sound sexy.

Aftermarket or death.

post #4 of 36 Old 09-13-2008, 01:30 PM
See You On Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakx View Post
It won't be loud, modern exhaust are designed to be quite. :-( Granted, it may sound sexy.

Aftermarket or death.
If those are my choices, then I choose Aftermarket.

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

post #5 of 36 Old 09-13-2008, 06:38 PM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

The team in Australia was so used to making quiet exhausts that they had to tell them to make it louder.

It'll be just on the edge of as loud as it can be from the factory.
It won't be loud, but it won't exactly be hush quiet either.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #6 of 36 Old 09-13-2008, 08:18 PM

doesn't matter to me.. I will rip out the entire exhaust within 30 miles. just long enough to know who much better the after market stuff sounds..

PAST RIDE: 1991 5.0 Notch 306 ci aluminum heads vortech S trim kenny brown level 5 suspension 4 wheel disk Baer brakes - 450 rwhp
post #7 of 36 Old 09-13-2008, 08:46 PM

I don't want it LOUD. I want a deep rumble and not the "exotic" sound either.
post #8 of 36 Old 09-14-2008, 01:18 AM

i say f**k it and just run open headers y not (yes i knw u definetly should not do that lol) i want mine loud as hell
post #9 of 36 Old 09-14-2008, 04:19 AM

the LS3 is great sounding LSX platform... no matter what exhaust is on it will sound good... especially since it'll be running true duals only adds to the excitement
post #10 of 36 Old 09-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Jak

I test drove a Dodge Daytona a couple years ago and the idle/ crusing exhaust was quite, but you touch the gas and it had a very nice deep head turning/attention getting rumble. I'm wondering if the Camaro'll be the same way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page