Throttle Controllers - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-20-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs down Throttle Controllers

Caution to anyone wanting to put a throttle controller on your Camaro. First of all I'm a shady tree mechanic, don't have a lot of money so I have done most of the work on my Camaro. Did the cam swap in my car and no problems. I have done lots of other things to my car with no problems/codes.

I never liked the lag or response time when pressing on the gas petal. Talk to a guy with throttle controller installed and say he loved the way it made his car run. I did a little research on throttle controllers but not as much as I should have. So after Christmas I installed the throttle controller in my car and it did make a noticeable difference in the response of the throttle. Not long after while out driving I got the Engine Power is Reduced. I had stopped in a parking lot and when I went to crank up the car, that's when the message came up. I thought it was a one time occurrence but now it does it all the time. Took the Throttle Controller out disconnected the battery over night and still have the problem. Hooked up a Code reader and now showing C0242 and P0601. I'm lost and not sure what to do next. I would have it towed to a dealer but I don't want to be charged out the ass for the dealer to say it's this or that and not have the problem fixed. Never had a problem with the car until installing the throttle controller. I have spent many hours researching on the computer and come to find out that this seems to be a common theme. For some no problems but for others they are left scratching their heads trying to figure what happened. I even called the company, not to get my money back, but to ask what have been the most common problems that have occurred after installing the controller. Just received an email from the company referencing a thread on Camaro5. I read the thread and the guy in the thread had never installed a throttle controller on his car then the last part of the email stated it was not their product that caused the problem. From what I have read on this site and many others that the product is the problem but I have been unable not found a common fix for the issue. Is there anyone that has gotten their problem fixed? is there a common fix or mutible fixes?

For anyone looking to install a throttle controller in your car, do the research! If I could do it over again I would save my money. Beware of the risks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-20-2017, 02:19 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Personally, I would take it to a Chevrolet dealer that sells a lot of Camaros, like the one I go to in PA. Diag won't cost that much, and they'll tell you what it will cost to fix.

Don't screw around with it. You could easily end up costing yourself a bundle.

Here's the code breakdown.

P0601: PCM Internal Fault https://www.engine-codes.com/p0601_chevrolet.html

C0242: Traction Control Malfunction https://www.engine-codes.com/c0242_chevrolet.html

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.

Last edited by patriotpa; 09-20-2017 at 02:25 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-20-2017, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
Personally, I would take it to a Chevrolet dealer that sells a lot of Camaros, like the one I go to in PA. Diag won't cost that much, and they'll tell you what it will cost to fix.

Here's the code breakdown.

P0601: PCM Internal Fault https://www.engine-codes.com/p0601_chevrolet.html

C0242: Traction Control Malfunction https://www.engine-codes.com/c0242_chevrolet.html

Thanks for the advice.

post #4 of 4 Old 10-04-2017, 02:05 PM

Common error happens because of a misfire mostly.... I find i get it more often with cheaper gas or dirty gas... The problem always resolves itself... I put controller on SP 0 and after car sits for an hour or so i start it and let it idle for a few mins and then drive usually the power comes back but the CEL stays on for a few drives. Once the car runs clean 2 - 3 times with no misfire CEL turns off and all is normal. I also find it happens more often when due for an oil change and especially if my CAI filter is remotely dirty. My dealer has never given me any warranty issues having this installed and recently even cleared my code for me during an oil change. This controller will not damage your car.

2012 2SS Vert - Summit White - Borla Atak-S Cat Back Exhaust - K&N Typhoon CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in