·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excerpt from Automotive News article...

GM shelves Camaro convertible, Z28
4-cylinder engine option is also on hold

Jamie LaReau - Automotive News - March 23, 2009

DETROIT — General Motors has delayed indefinitely the Chevrolet Camaro convertible and Z28 high-performance variant to save cash, sources say.

GM also has tabled plans to add a four-cylinder engine version of the Camaro. GM is starting to ship the Camaro to dealers this week.

Insiders say executives hope to restore the convertible to GM's product plan.
"Neither one has been outright canceled," says Terry Rhadigan, a Chevrolet spokesman. Rhadigan said GM will seek to bring out the convertible in 2011.

Another source familiar with GM product plans confirmed that the four-cylinder for the Camaro is dead for "the time being."

GM began building the Camaro, which starts at $22,995, including shipping, on Monday, March 16. GM estimates that it will take until May or June to fill the 14,000 sold orders in hand.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
sorry to all you guys waiting on a convert. hopefully things in the world get better soon and we'll see a convert and a z/28 soon.

fingers are crossed.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thank you for the information. I am getting very impatient. I ordered on 10/13/08 @ 11 am EST. So mine should be in soon.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the information. I am getting very impatient. I ordered on 10/13/08 @ 11 am EST. So mine should be in soon.
I know what you mean. I ordered on 10/15. Check with your dealer to get a status update. I have an order number, and a status to confirm changes I made in December, but we both really need to be in the 3000 range before we can get our hopes up. Either way...June isn't so bad.

1SS, rally yellow, Bos Acous, Polished wheels, black rally stripes, 6M

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
4 cylinder??? WTF?! This is a muscle car, right?!
Thanks for posting
It wouldn't be the first time it had a 4cyl.:(

A turbo 4cyl wouldn't be bad...I guess.:rolleyes: :lookandleave:

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts
They should save their money and not make a 4 cylinder just keep it till they can make a vert or something

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
june is good news! and i definitely hope things look up soon so that the vert and the Z can make a comeback! :D

·
Banned
7,873 Posts

·
Banned
1,136 Posts
Excerpt from Automotive News article...

Jamie LaReau - Automotive News - March 23, 2009

GM is starting to ship the Camaro to dealers this week.

GM began building the Camaro, which starts at $22,995, including shipping, on Monday, March 16. GM estimates that it will take until May or June to fill the 14,000 sold orders in hand.
Oh, so just 1-week (= March 23rd - 16th...) after our Camaros "pop out of the oven" they are shipped to Dealers...what a concept! Why are some members on this forum told by their Dealers "it will be 60 days" after their Camaro is built for it to be delivered...makes no sense to me to "sit" on product for 2 months. I for one hope the Automotive New article writer got the 1-week timeframe correct, and last week's builds are on a moving train or trailor as-we-speak... :roxor:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From eGMCarTech.....
Earlier this morning we brought you a report by The Detroit Bureau that said the Chevrolet Camaro Convertible is facing significant delays due to supplier issues. Originally, GM had planned to launch the Camaro Convertible exactly a year after the coupe hit the market; however, supplier problems were causing at least a six-month delay.

Well, Motor Trend is now reporting that GM has worked out its issues with the original supplier that will be providing the top for the 2011 Camaro Convertible. The drop-top Camaro will now arrive as scheduled in April 2010 - just in time for the summer sun.

As for the Camaro Z/28 - it’s still on hold. The high-performing Camaro is expected to get the 556-hp 6.2L V8 supercharged from the Corvette ZR1 and the CTS-V.

- By: The Daily Auto Editor

Source: Motor Trend

·
Registered
256 Posts
From eGMCarTech.....

As for the Camaro Z/28 - it’s still on hold. The high-performing Camaro is expected to get the 556-hp 6.2L V8 supercharged from the Corvette ZR1 and the CTS-V.

- By: The Daily Auto Editor

Source: Motor Trend
how accurate is this supposed to be? they are putting the 556 hp ls9 in the camaro? sounds wrong... i wouldnt imagine they would surpass Z06 power in a camaro. vette owners would be furious. and the cost would be outrageous like up there with gt500's at least

·
Registered
70 Posts
Everyone needs to remember that until GM announces that a product, or a whole line of vehicles is produced or canceled or put on hold, everything you hear or read in any other publication is a RUMOR. I work at GM and it is a daily problem, especially now as GM is working hard top return to profitibility.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Everyone needs to remember that until GM announces that a product, or a whole line of vehicles is produced or canceled or put on hold, everything you hear or read in any other publication is a RUMOR. I work at GM and it is a daily problem, especially now as GM is working hard top return to profitibility.
:agree:......but I don't work for GM.:D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
how accurate is this supposed to be? they are putting the 556 hp ls9 in the camaro? sounds wrong... i wouldnt imagine they would surpass Z06 power in a camaro. vette owners would be furious. and the cost would be outrageous like up there with gt500's at least
I agree with this. The original Z28 was not intended to be the strongest muscle car of the time. I could see the Z28 having the Z06 engine tuned to about 450-475 hp.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts