Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously, @ 12:45 am this morning I was getting on th freeway, no one around, got the 1500 mile break in, and I nailed it. Got up to 145 mph in 5th before I wussed out. Now I have heard that this car has a govener @ 130 from comments on this site, but that either has to be BS or they are talking about another model, no sh!t, the car was rollin @ 145 then I shifted into 6th and it actually slowed down. Not like I was red @ 145 in 5th but like I said I wussed out, thinkin there was a cop some where ithchin for me. Go ahead, tell me I'm wrong. This car is going to kill me, but I am gonna die with a sh!t eating grinn on my face!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Capt Bob-Supporting Membr
366 Posts
Good to know about the speed limiter. Glad to hear you had a fun run.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Lucky You, Have fun, but be careful cops are out there, if you get caught, they might impound the car and take the titile as part of the punishment for speeding. I have heard of this in Florida when I lived there, but don't live there anymore. Each state has their rules about impounds
But have fun, be safe, and be careful.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Good for you.....be careful.

I've never gone that fast.(except in an airplane :))...but then again, I've never had a muscle car or a car capable of handling those types of speeds....I only have a muscle 79 Jeep with a 360 in it which is all torque and very dangerous with a short wheel base (it don't go over 65mph...lol).

·
Registered
402 Posts
That's amazing! Cavette is correct. The Camaro is electronically limited at 155 mph. I am happy that you safely reached 145, according to your speedometer. I'm not gonna give you the "riot act" on driving too fast on public roads. That would be very hypocritical of me to do so. I'll give you a pass. :lol: I am just happy that you were lucky to experience it safely.

I just would hate to think of what could've went wrong. Here's a thought to ponder. Here in Wisconsin, if caught, you would've been arrested for wreckless driving; and would've spent some time in jail until you went to court. Hopefully, later the same day; but your "paperwork" could've gotten misplaced, thus delaying that appearance a while. Now here's the part that concerns me, your Camaro would've been towed by a tow service. :eek: Your pride and joy, handled and violated by some total stranger. Then it's going to sit in some dusty, dirty tow yard until you get out to retrieve it. :( After paying for your ticket/bail, tow fee, and storage fees. ;)

I'd say you were lucky! :lol: Next time, might be cheaper to take it to the track. Plus you'll enjoy it more because you'll have more peace of mind!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here in Wisconsin, if caught, you would've been arrested for wreckless driving; and would've spent some time in jail until you went to court. Hopefully, later the same day; but your "paperwork" could've gotten misplaced, thus delaying that appearance a while. Now here's the part that concerns me, your Camaro would've been towed by a tow service. :eek: Your pride and joy, handled and violated by some total stranger. Then it's going to sit in some dusty, dirty tow yard until you get out to retrieve it. :( After paying for your ticket/bail, tow fee, and storage fees. ;)
Good to know...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Like it's been said before it's governed at 155. However I think I read somewhere that the RS and maybe SS is at 155, but an LT without the RS package is governed lower. I could be wrong about this though.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
It's nice to wring a car out once and awhile. My 2000 saw 140-ish and my GTO 120-ish (before running out of "safe" room).

Depending on the mood of the officer, they may give you a hefty ticket, scolding or, as Lightfighter mention, arrest. If you're out in the late night, completely empty road, by yourself and not being a jerk, they'd probably tell you to go home. If it was during the day in traffic racing someone, you'd probably get arrested -- if you got caught ;)

Either way, glad you got to enjoy it. What's the point of having all of that capability and not using it? It's like a hot chick -- who's Amish.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I totally know about the dangers, not trying to defend, or argue about it. This is exactly why it was past midnight on a 4 lane freeway in a 3 mile section with no on/off ramps, that already has a speed limit of 65 with no one within sight. I would not complain about the reprocussions (unless they confiscated the car for good), I would post it so you all could comment, regardless of the beratement. I will find the speed limit, maybe on a track as suggested, after my trip back to Chicago I was planning on going to the Bonderant School, never too late to learn some thing new. My 3rd ticket in my '87 RS was 140 (think I might still have it some where) when I was 19, I have been through this before. I appreciate your concerns, not out to hurt anyone, but that kind of speed in this kind of car is nirvana, not a feeling I'm going to give up. Spent the better part of last year in the hospital, it probably won't be the last time they cut parts out of me, I am going to let this Camaro make me feel alive as long as I can, however I can.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sounds like fun, but you always wonder "What if". Wish we had a good place a person could go to run it all out. Texas has a mile of track that they run on and it's all legal. To bad we don't have one like that here, I'd love to see just how fast I could go. I've been up to 120 with my GTX 67 and that was one heck of a ride. Stopping was another issue w/drum brakes. Be Safe and Drive Careful

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Seriously, @ 12:45 am this morning I was getting on th freeway, no one around, got the 1500 mile break in, and I nailed it. Got up to 145 mph in 5th before I wussed out. Now I have heard that this car has a govener @ 130 from comments on this site, but that either has to be BS or they are talking about another model, no sh!t, the car was rollin @ 145 then I shifted into 6th and it actually slowed down. Not like I was red @ 145 in 5th but like I said I wussed out, thinkin there was a cop some where ithchin for me. Go ahead, tell me I'm wrong. This car is going to kill me, but I am gonna die with a sh!t eating grinn on my face!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:
I thought the governor for the SS was at 155. It's based on the speed rating of the factory tires, so I've heard.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
That's amazing! Cavette is correct. The Camaro is electronically limited at 155 mph. I am happy that you safely reached 145, according to your speedometer. I'm not gonna give you the "riot act" on driving too fast on public roads. That would be very hypocritical of me to do so. I'll give you a pass. :lol: I am just happy that you were lucky to experience it safely.

I just would hate to think of what could've went wrong. Here's a thought to ponder. Here in Wisconsin, if caught, you would've been arrested for wreckless driving; and would've spent some time in jail until you went to court. Hopefully, later the same day; but your "paperwork" could've gotten misplaced, thus delaying that appearance a while. Now here's the part that concerns me, your Camaro would've been towed by a tow service. :eek: Your pride and joy, handled and violated by some total stranger. Then it's going to sit in some dusty, dirty tow yard until you get out to retrieve it. :( After paying for your ticket/bail, tow fee, and storage fees. ;)

I'd say you were lucky! :lol: Next time, might be cheaper to take it to the track. Plus you'll enjoy it more because you'll have more peace of mind!
Food for thought. Makes me nauseous thinking about the possibilities... that would been one sucky day if that happened.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I totally know about the dangers, not trying to defend, or argue about it. This is exactly why it was past midnight on a 4 lane freeway in a 3 mile section with no on/off ramps, that already has a speed limit of 65 with no one within sight. I would not complain about the reprocussions (unless they confiscated the car for good), I would post it so you all could comment, regardless of the beratement. I will find the speed limit, maybe on a track as suggested, after my trip back to Chicago I was planning on going to the Bonderant School, never too late to learn some thing new. My 3rd ticket in my '87 RS was 140 (think I might still have it some where) when I was 19, I have been through this before. I appreciate your concerns, not out to hurt anyone, but that kind of speed in this kind of car is nirvana, not a feeling I'm going to give up. Spent the better part of last year in the hospital, it probably won't be the last time they cut parts out of me, I am going to let this Camaro make me feel alive as long as I can, however I can.
I can sense that you are a thoughtful chap, and that you took what you thought were good percautions; but the fact remains that there are too many variables on the public roads. Debris(being it fuel, oil, coolant, nails, bolts, car parts, animals, etc.), road conditions(potholes, expansion joint buckling, sink holes, etc.), lighting( @ 145mph, you're out-driving your field of visibility) were only a few. I've seen it all, and at all times of the day and night. I'd just like to say that luck only goes so far.

Just early this morning, two young men (a 22 and a 24 yr. old) in a 3rd gen Firebird veered off the road and crash into a tree in Elm Grove, WI. A suburban department officer had just recorded their vehicle speed at 60mph in a 30mph zone and stated the vehicle was accelerating, when he was about to give chase. Unfortunately, the vehicle entered a slight lefthand curve and the driver went off the road to the right and crashed into a tree. The vehicle caught fire, and the officer used his extinguisher to put out the flames. The driver died at the scene, and the passenger had to be extricated out of the vehicle. The passenger is now the hospital in critical condition.

Unlike what demonspeed mentioned, it's not about the officer's mood. We are human beings that have families. We are parents, as well as having parents. Nothing pains us more than to have to make a death notification after responding to a fatal accident scene, that probably could have been easily avoided. I, for one, would rather scold, ticket, or arrest a traffic offender than stand before that person's loved ones; and inform them of their death. It doesn't get easier, no matter how many times it's done. :(

I guess you have to see it from the other side to truly understand. I have had to speed in the course of doing my job. It's exhilarating, but persistent danger is always present. I have taken greater joy of my need for speed in a more controlled environment. Racetracks (trackdays, driving/riding schools, etc.) offer so much more peace of mind, enjoyment and safety. Be careful, and don't let your luck run out on you!

End rant. ;)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Sounds like fun, but you always wonder "What if". Wish we had a good place a person could go to run it all out. Texas has a mile of track that they run on and it's all legal. To bad we don't have one like that here, I'd love to see just how fast I could go. I've been up to 120 with my GTX 67 and that was one heck of a ride. Stopping was another issue w/drum brakes. Be Safe and Drive Careful
In Washington state, you have Pacific Raceways in Kent, and Spokane Raceway Park in Spokane. I'm sure you could contact them and find out how much it would cost to rent their facilities for a day. Maybe a group of you and some fellow enthusiasts could chip in to cover the cost. Trust me, it may be much cheaper than dealing with "the law". Check and see if any local car clubs do any trackdays. I would bet their might be a few. Give it a shot. Pacific Raceways touts that it has a 170mph front straightway. 2.5 mile course with 10 turns. Sounds like fun! ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts