Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im about to order the skip shift eliminator from slp and thinking about ordering their 160 degree thermostat along with it since its only an extra $30... any opinions? good? bad? wouldnt make a difference either way?

·
Registered
646 Posts
It'll help keep your engine cooler, which technically means you'll make a lil more power, every bit helps. put some Water Wetter in your coolant too.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
im about to order the skip shift eliminator from slp and thinking about ordering their 160 degree thermostat along with it since its only an extra $30... any opinions? good? bad? wouldnt make a difference either way?

If you're keeping everything stock and not planning on getting a PCM tune or you will be driving it in cold weather...I'd leave the stock t-stat. And if you are getting a tune, you don't need the skip-shift elim because you can have it disabled.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
have you used it?

I've used it...dropped a couple degrees...but not a huge difference. No where near the "up to 30deg" that they advertise. It's a good idea to use it if you run straight water (or small amount of anti-freeze) for the extra corrosion protection.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
since when do you need a PCM tune by putting in a 160 t stat? That makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

you don't NEED a tune (didn't say you did)...but a good tuner will REQUIRE you to change the stat so they don't have to be conservative with the way they tune it. If you want to make more power that's the way to do it. On a stock, every day car...(unless you're in a real hot climate) you really not gonna gain anything by swapping t-stats, other than the time it takes to reach normal temp.

·
Registered
646 Posts
have you used it?
Yes, it helped a little. On my car I was running a supercharger with an air to water aftercooler so I needed every little bit of heat transfer I could get to make the most power.

Since I live in Florida most of us down here use distilled water and Water Wetter or Purple Ice which is the same kind of product to help keep our temps down. Combine with that kicking on the fans a little lower with the t stat and you had a cool running mofo in the hot summer heat which we have down here.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
It needs tuned so your fans will come on early to match the earlier opening t-stat
yeah, that's another good point...even if you swap the t-stat, your fans aren't coming on any earlier...so it's really not gonna run any cooler, so you're pretty much wasting your time/money.

Yes, it helped a little. On my car I was running a supercharger with an air to water aftercooler so I needed every little bit of heat transfer I could get to make the most power.

Since I live in Florida most of us down here use distilled water and Water Wetter or Purple Ice which is the same kind of product to help keep our temps down. Combine with that kicking on the fans a little lower with the t stat and you had a cool running mofo in the hot summer heat which we have down here.

Yeah...it's amazing how much heat SC's can crank out...every possible thing you can do keep temps down is worth it...can't be too easy in the florida heat.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I think also if you dont tune it, you will have a check engine light. On my Envoy, the t-stat was stuck open and it threw a code because it was not running at the correct temp....it was running too cool.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
It helps by opening sooner allowing the coolant more time to be cooled by the fans (which you need tuned to correctly achieve) lowering the operating temperature of the coolant thus lowering the temperature of the engine for a cooler intake charge. :D

The con would be in colder temps it takes longer for the engine to come to operating temp and possible a little less hot of a heater.

I used watter wetter in my Nova that had a 406 with with a 160 t-stat. Even in the high 90's and stop and go traffic I had no overheat issues using just a stock pump fan and no shroud. Prooved it's worth to me for sure. **** I miss that car. Wish i didn't have to sell it at the time :(.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Other than the obvious of lowering coolant temps, what are you trying to accomplish by doing this mod? Will you be planning on supercharging? Doing a lot of track runs, etc? If daily driven and no heavy mods, the extra cooling might not be necessary and could even hurt fuel economy if not running at the engine temp originally designed.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Oh brother.. Is that what they say on the Nissan forums?

A cooler engine will always make more power than a hotter engine. That's just simple hot rodding 101..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh brother.. Is that what they say on the Nissan forums?

A cooler engine will always make more power than a hotter engine. That's just simple hot rodding 101..
No, but you should keep in mind that your Camaro engine, is a modern engine and not the same as the older ones. Unless your stock temp is considered unusually hot or, there are some specifically thought out purposes for lowering the coolant temp, I don't think you're going to see an increase in power as a standalone mod.

Before emission controls and computerized engine controls came along, it was a common practice to install a cooler (160 to 180 degree F.) thermostat for summer or performance driving. The lower thermostat lowered the engine's operating temperature, which in turn reduced the load on the cooling system and reduced the danger of overheating.

This practice is no longer recommended because today's computerized engine control systems require a constant year-round operating temperature of about 195 degrees F... The engine's emission controls as well as it's fuel and spark control systems are all calibrated to work within a given temperature range. If someone replaced the thermostat with the wrong one for the application (either colder or hotter), it can cause driveability and fuel economy issues.

Coolant temperature is used for a variety of engine and emission control functions. The coolant sensor on late model engines tells the computer when the engine has reached normal operating temperature. This, in turn, affects fuel enrichment, spark timing, operation of the EGR valve and purging of the charcoal canister. When you use a low temp t-stat, the coolant may never get hot enough to trigger the appropriate control functions in the computer or TVS vacuum circuits. As a result the engine will run as if it were continually cold, which increases both fuel consumption and emissions. Also, too low an operating temperature also increases cylinder wear.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts