Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The introduction to a paper i'm working on.. i've read about 100 pages of this book so far, and it really is interesting to look at stuff from just 10 years ago, especially considering i'm only 20 and i can only vaguely remember the pager boom, or when faxes were huge.. just scrolling through the forums gave me a bit of a brainwave though, not looking for critique, just some food for thought really.

1999: before YouTube, text messaging, aim, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox Live, Wii, and the internet forum boom. This was the year the book Faster was written, and as the Author contemplates the advent of the Pager, Fax Machine, and the introduction of email, it’s almost comical in comparison to the technology of today. Now a user can select a video of a song on YouTube, text their sister 3000 miles away, and play Forza Motorsport 3 on an Xbox 360 on the next screen over without moving an inch. In contrast the book seems rather Neolithic and outmoded. Just 6 or 7 years ago, only the rich kids in High School had cell phones as freshman, now it’s uncommon to see a middle-school student without the ever-present staple of modern society in their hands texting or twittering to countless others. Yet the book makes very little mention of these devices that seem to have replaced just about everything that seemed advanced in 1999, and laptops—seem nonexistent. The book provides an interesting perspective of today’s society as the author analyzes the lightning pace at which society moved just 11 years ago.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Laptops seem non-existent? You must not be part of the gaming community. They're everywhere. I own 2 myself.
i only use a laptop, but i was referring to the book from 99.. i know they existed, i've seen and used old laptops, but they're nothing on what we use now

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
1999: before YouTube, text messaging, aim, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox Live, Wii, and the internet forum boom. This was the year the book Faster was written, and as the Author contemplates the advent of the Pager, Fax Machine, and the introduction of email, it’s almost comical in comparison to the technology of today. Now a user can select a video of a song on YouTube, text their sister 3000 miles away, and play Forza Motorsport 3 on an Xbox 360 on the next screen over without moving an inch. In contrast the book seems rather Neolithic and outmoded. Just 6 or 7 years ago, only the rich kids in High School had cell phones as freshman, now it’s uncommon to see a middle-school student without the ever-present staple of modern society in their hands texting or twittering to countless others. Yet the book makes very little mention of these devices that seem to have replaced just about everything that seemed advanced in 1999, and laptops—seem nonexistent. The book provides an interesting perspective of today’s society as the author analyzes the lightning pace at which society moved just 11 years ago.
I don't mean to sound hypercritical, but I have to make a few qualifying observations... Facsimile machines were common office equipment at large businesses by the mid 80s. I was using e-mail in 1988 as a freshman in college and created my first web page in 1993 on the job. I think Yahoo was the only established search engine on the web in 1994. New search engines Altavista, then Webcrawler came along a little later, proving superior to Yahoo with their use of spiders to build their search indexes. In a few years all of these would be completely supplanted by Google.

In the business world laptops are still essential equipment. I wish I could do everything I needed to do with a smart-phone, but I need a laptop to get any real work done. In 1999 Windows 98 and Pentium IIIs were everywhere, and people were ordering books and CDs from Amazon.com, so while a lot has changed it wasn't exactly primitive times. :D

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't mean to sound hypercritical, but I have to make a few qualifying observations... Facsimile machines were common office equipment at large businesses by the mid 80s. I was using e-mail in 1988 as a freshman in college and created my first web page in 1993 on the job. I think Yahoo was the only established search engine on the web in 1994. New search engines Altavista, then Webcrawler came along a little later, proving superior to Yahoo with their use of spiders to build their search indexes. In a few years all of these would be completely supplanted by Google.

In the business world laptops are still essential equipment. I wish I could do everything I needed to do with a smart-phone, but I need a laptop to get any real work done. In 1999 Windows 98 and Pentium IIIs were everywhere, and people were ordering books and CDs from Amazon.com, so while a lot has changed it wasn't exactly primitive times. :D
well considering people used pagers and fax machines were commonplace.. email has evolved quite a bit to where you can actually send usable amounts of data in a reasonable amount of time.

-and i was only 10 in 99 :D i remember playing n64 like it was my job, and then ps2 came out a few years later.. what a difference

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
well considering people used pagers and fax machines were commonplace.. email has evolved quite a bit to where you can actually send usable amounts of data in a reasonable amount of time.

-and i was only 10 in 99 :D i remember playing n64 like it was my job, and then ps2 came out a few years later.. what a difference
N64 was out well before 99. I also had a cell phone, as did many people in HS in 99. Email was used a lot but most people, and the Internet was well established by 1999, too.

Honestly, in 10 years I think the only things that have made a significant change would be texting, social networking websites, mp3 players and smart phones. Sure, there are other gadgets (flat screens, typical computer evolution, etc), but I really can't think of anything that has been that significant over the past decade besides 9/11. I think it's more that you were only 10 and not aware of the world around you.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
N64 was out well before 99. I also had a cell phone, as did many people in HS in 99. Email was used a lot but most people, and the Internet was well established by 1999, too.

Honestly, in 10 years I think the only things that have made a significant change would be texting, social networking websites, mp3 players and smart phones. Sure, there are other gadgets (flat screens, typical computer evolution, etc), but I really can't think of anything that has been that significant over the past decade besides 9/11. I think it's more that you were only 10 and not aware of the world around you.
Demonspeed makes a great point. I was just thinking if you want to talk about technology that has really come a long way since 1999, cell phones would definitely be up there near the top. Honestly back in 1999, I did not think cell phones would be used the way they are now.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

yes, but the whole PDA craze? Those ended pretty quickly with smarphones, and yes n64 was out before that, but there wasn't any significant change there until the PS2, which didn't hit the market until 2000, and they were so expensive (as were cell phones) that not many people had them. my dad used a pager until cellphones started becoming useful, and that wasn't until 2000 something, and what a dog that first phone was, terrible quality voice and it dropped service constantly.

The main difference i see in tech between 99 and now is how we use it, whereas many of of the technologies existed during that timeframe, they were not used by the masses until recently, and thus did not affect how the majority of people communicated with each other until later on. email went from something smart people used to communicate fairly brief messages to absolutely essential to communications, where enormous files can be transported without so much as a blink. Then there are forums.. think about the difference in information use, wikipedia helped change all that, and rather than worry about consulting a mechanic or nearby friend about car issues, people immediately turn to forums and databases. Yes, for your ego's sake you're not that old, the actual hardware probably did exist in 99.. but my paper gets into how our culture has changed since then, namely how my generation has changed since then, as mine has been endowed with constantly updating technology, but seems rather content to sit and play the xbox.. rather contrary to the level of productiveness the author seems to think we would have reached by now.:lol:

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Then there are forums..
On that subject, I do not believe forums have changed over the decade EXCEPT for they being purchased and used as a revenue stream (Internet Brands, for example).

I was on CamaroZ28.com back in 99, and VBulletin was essentially the same layout as it is now.

As for cell phones... My first was a Nokia from AT&T. This thing fit perfectly in across the ashtray opening in my IROC. I changed the face plate to one with flames, and I enjoyed playing snake.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On that subject, I do not believe forums have changed over the decade EXCEPT for they being purchased and used as a revenue stream (Internet Brands, for example).

I was on CamaroZ28.com back in 99, and VBulletin was essentially the same layout as it is now.

As for cell phones... My first was a Nokia from AT&T. This thing fit perfectly in across the ashtray opening in my IROC. I changed the face plate to one with flames, and I enjoyed playing snake.

yes, but do you recall people relying on them as they do today? I'm talking about a cultural shift in the way people source information and communicate. Sure, people (like yourself obviously) could do it, but it wasn't something everybody knew how to use. My mother didn't figure out how to use a computer until i was in high school a few years ago, and she's not a complete dunce.. the majority of people simply did not use this stuff our old windows 95 was a hell of a lot harder to use than the laptop i use now.. i think the majority of people using things like this would be students and high level businessmen, not everybody and their mother, which is what i see today.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
yes, but do you recall people relying on them as they do today? I'm talking about a cultural shift in the way people source information and communicate. Sure, people (like yourself obviously) could do it, but it wasn't something everybody knew how to use. My mother didn't figure out how to use a computer until i was in high school a few years ago, and she's not a complete dunce.. the majority of people simply did not use this stuff our old windows 95 was a hell of a lot harder to use than the laptop i use now

Yes, you are correct when looking at it from the standpoint of how many people have began to use whatever product.

I don't even remember what using Windows 95 was like.

I do remember the first web sites I checked out: www.duckman.com and www.foodtv.com. Why, you ask? I was in 7th grade (95?) and at the end of certain programs, their website would be displayed quite large like it was the big new thing (which it was). I also remember using Webcrawler.

But, even further back, I played games on local BBS's like Barren Realms Elite.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, you are correct when looking at it from the standpoint of how many people have began to use whatever product.

I don't even remember what using Windows 95 was like.

I do remember the first web sites I checked out: www.duckman.com and www.foodtv.com. Why, you ask? I was in 7th grade (95?) and at the end of certain programs, their website would be displayed quite large like it was the big new thing (which it was). I also remember using Webcrawler.

But, even further back, I played games on local BBS's like Barren Realms Elite.
i remember we had to have a college student come get that stupid computer to work lol, even dad had trouble getting the hang of computers for awhile. I remember netscape navigator, and playing a-10 tank killer 2 before my buddy got n64, but it is apparent that people look at information in a different way today than 10 years ago. I don't know if i'd even use a library any more if i didn't have to for most classes.. though the whole kindle thing doesn't really do it for me either.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
I graduated HS in 1999 :eek:

My first Cellphone came in 1997 and it happened to be a motorola StarTac
My service provider was a big name around the TEXAS area which was SouthWestern Bell mobile Systems then it changed to Cingular Wireless then AT&T.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I must say how funny this all is.. Nice step back in time.. LOL I have to agree with everyone ( Weland, demon, luwink ) that the only thing that really has change was just how fast and common information is around like mp3 and tweeting and youtube plays from everyone phones type stuff. Things like beepers and cell phones were very common to all the kids in my HS they all had them including me and this was 91'-93'. Then you were in diapers.. LOL. Its funny to think of that.. If you want to read a good book about change I forget the name. But it was written in the early 50's about the huge amount of change from just 10 years earlier. Now that was a huge change. The whole world changed forever. Give it another 10/15 years when you are talking to some kid thats 20 and all the things that might change by then.. It will be interesting for sure.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I still remember when my dad switched from 3.1 to 95...I was pppppppiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissed because of how it was all changed and I couldn't figure out how to navigate things. Now I can't navigate 3.1.
I remember that. I was so pissed too.. :lol:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I graduated HS in 1999 :eek:

My first Cellphone came in 1997 and it happened to be a motorola StarTac
My service provider was a big name around the TEXAS area which was SouthWestern Bell mobile Systems then it changed to Cingular Wireless then AT&T.
**** jekyll I forget how much younger you are then me.. Too funny. :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts