Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one do you prefer and why? on the gm website the specs say they are the same weight however the 2SS has way more stuff on it...

I'm planing on getting one next spring but I need some opinions on which one to choose, I like the 2SS however most of the extras I wont need but some of the ones is does come with are perfect!

Performance wise which one would be more practical?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
You can buy a 1SS and add the options you want if you don't want some of the ones that come with the 2SS. Why pay for what you don't want?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I don't NEED most of the options the 2SS came with. But now that I've been using them more and more, I wouldn't wanna go back to not having them. And I use them every chance I get now. If you don't want or care for them then I'd say get the 1SS. But once you're used to something its kinda hard to go back.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
The backup camera and HUD are almost must haves ... leather heated seats are pretty darned nice if you are in a cold weather area ... the four gauge pack has more use to some than others. Like Chapel says, if you never had these things, you probably wouldn't miss them, but once you have them, they are awful darned nice ...

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Performance wise 1SS. On a new Camaro you are talking about a difference of $34,000-$36,000 for a 1SS against $39,000-$42,000 for a 2SS. The Used car market doesn't have much separation in price between the two. For me I don't care if it's 1SS or 2SS, but I feel I may have a little bit of preference to a 1SS since you can do more interior upgrades the way you want versus the a 2SS that's already fully loaded with every last thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1SS versus 2SS

:gears:I went with the 1SS because I didnt need or want the extras I have a great looking car with a big motor, big tires, 6m and a halfway decent factory audio system . Oh and its black I have owned alot of cars from 73 Corvette to 68 GTO to Honda Civic SI old school and new school and I never enjoyed driving and working ( yes owning a black car is work ) more than my 13 1SS I love it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On a 1SS, you can add the gauges, I did. So the main differences are the HUD, which I've read you can also add, leather seats, which I didn't like/want, back-up camera, optional on 1SS, and Boston Accoustics audio. So basically, do you want leather or not?

·
Registered
217 Posts
If your looking for performance the dual mode exhaust is a no brainer with its great sound, and the 1le package is great for better gearing in the rear end yet its tires are even more unpractical and harder to find if they exist in all season or winter tires in its large size. The value for the 1le package is good, yet I did not want it, I can add gears and add better than the stock 1le components too it for the handling if desired and do not like a wrapped hood to replace eventually as it will fade. We drive what is a luxury sports car as most are now. Options I could not dream of in the day. So being a daily driver and a sports car, you will miss if you do not have a HUD....I use it constantly, any worry about the engine running and I only have to glance at the gauge pack which has about the same gauges I installed on all my old hot rods anyway.......The leather is great and durable, I use black magic and it rocks, and backing into my parking I always use the back up camera.... It really depends on how much money you want to spend and if you order the car or just find what you think is the perfect car on a lot.......

I wish I had some of the 1le components, yes, but not the wheels and tires as I am not ricky racer trying to do laps on a circle track etc, and drive mine in rain and snow year around. I do use and love my heritage grill, my sunroof, my dual mode exhaust, and my crystal red tint coat paint. The premium wheels I sold, and the cup holder and foot well lighting Is not worth it. Those are the options it came with along with clear bra xpel. I went to another town to get the car I wanted with exactly what I wanted on it, and do not regret it, and love the luxuries from upgrading to the right color and options from my 2011 2ss/rs vert. You have to figure out what you can afford
and what you really want, and I am very much happier with a manual vs the automatic, some will be the opposite, yet paddle shifting always seemed lame and the stock exhaust lame. I do know if I got a 1ss I would get stain block scotch guard 3-m and treat and re treat the seats....As having been a upholsterer cloth seats absorb everything along with stench..........And I used sunbrella on my vert top every couple months to make the water bead, and had to clean it every wash and try to remove hair from animals ....etc with a good wash cloth.....lint rollers do not work that well.
SO you see the decision is up to you..........

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have the 1SS and I love it. I like the cloth seats and cloth door panels.
I agree with midnighter. I like the simplicity and the lower price

·
Banned
127 Posts
I had to stretch to afford a 1SS. A 2SS lists $4K more plus every one the dealer had was equipped with other options so they were 6-10K more than my 1SS. The only option on my 1SS is the RS package.

When my brother heard what I paid he had to see. He thought it was going to be stripped and was surprised at the standard features.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
On a 1SS, you can add the gauges, I did. So the main differences are the HUD, which I've read you can also add, leather seats, which I didn't like/want, back-up camera, optional on 1SS, and Boston Accoustics audio. So basically, do you want leather or not?
me thinks it is much more cost effective to buy the 2SS than to add all of that stuff ... adding a HUD is a PITA and I bet to have it done is EXPENSIVE ... so figure out what you want first ... if you only want gauges, buy a 1SS ... I would say if you want the HUD (which is really nice), go 2SS

·
Premium Member
4,382 Posts
I respect everyone's opinion on this and it really only matters to you and what you want or can afford. Both options have their own advantage or dis advantage depending on how you look at it, for me....I wanted all of it and did not want to later try to make it complete with everything I could have had. It had it all when I bought it and I could not be happier with it just the way it is. If I had to do it all over again I would not change a thing and enjoy the options that came on the new ones verses the stock 2010 2SS/RS that I have now. Approching the 45,000 mile mark now and I must admit that I have thought about another new one, but just can't justify it since this one is paid for in full.:)

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
I respect everyone's opinion on this and it really only matters to you and what you want or can afford. Both options have their own advantage or dis advantage depending on how you look at it, for me....I wanted all of it and did not want to later try to make it complete with everything I could have had. It had it all when I bought it and I could not be happier with it just the way it is. If I had to do it all over again I would not change a thing and enjoy the options that came on the new ones verses the stock 2010 2SS/RS that I have now. Approching the 45,000 mile mark now and I must admit that I have thought about another new one, but just can't justify it since this one is paid for in full.:)
Paid in full just means you can take that old payment and put it against a new car ... at least that is what my wife thinks :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,382 Posts
Paid in full just means you can take that old payment and put it against a new car ... at least that is what my wife thinks :lol:
Yea, She's right...just about 25% less in value if your lucky!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts