Modern Camaro Forums banner

What would you do when offered an 1982 V6 Auto Firebird w/ 55Kmi for $3500

• Piss yourself laughing and walk away shaking your head.

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Storm out after giving the seller a piece of your mind.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Steal it.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Buy it anyway knowing that it's worth much less.

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2.8L V6: Can fun be had with one of these?

Just a curious question. I'm pondering a V8 swap on a local "little old granny" V6 Firebird ('82, 55K on the body, engine, trans, everything) but the fact that the car is as cherry as it is makes me wonder if I should cruise it and wait for a crate.

For lulz and an update: http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/showpost.php?p=206811&postcount=26

There is no facepalm. There is no facedesk. There is no facefloor.

There is only faceearth. Wow.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd say no fun at all, but it would depend on what you're used to.

In 82, I believe it'd be a 2.8 (2.3 is Ford's 4 cylinder) with around 100hp.
Well, I've got a really heavy (4K+) Ford Explorer undergoing rehab (master cylinder and front bearings.. prolly more down the road). 4.0L rated to 215/240lbft. Quick, but eh.. thinking I might use this in the mean time.

First car was an LQ1 Monte Z34: 215/220. So I'm probably not going to miss much since both were on the heavy side (monte went lemon early too) when compared to the 82 which was feather weight. My concern was that with the engine having only 54,8XX on it I didn't want to pitch it if I couldn't do something with it.

I'll probably plunk down some cash for an Iron block 350 crate rated 250ish. Trans is original and non-leaky (55,8XX as well). Don't want to put out the rear just yet.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
If it's 82 its probably a real low compression ratio (as in low 8 to high 7 IIRC). I'd go to a salvage yard and find a turbo or two and boost it on the cheap till you get the money for a crate. It should be able to handle at least 8 PSI for a little while or turn up the boost and have a blast before it goes pop then get a new engine.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Just a curious question. I'm pondering a V8 swap on a local "little old granny" V6 Firebird ('82, 55K on the body, engine, trans, everything) but the fact that the car is as cherry as it is makes me wonder if I should cruise it and wait for a crate.
No, my 305 I had was barely fun, so I cant imagine a v6 being much fun at all.

but on the turbo comment, id say go with that.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, all things considered, if the deal goes through, I'll probably will wait it out for a 350 crate from Jegs or whatnot. Since I have no need to worry about A/C compressors and the like (only amenities being heat and AM/FM radio) it should be a straight forward weekend install.

Hopefully all goes well.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
buick gnx doesnt sound like crap and its a turbo v6. :D
Yeah, problem is trying to find the whole exhaust, intercooler, and wastegate system for one. SBC, exhaust, and Sway/Spring swap.

Carb'd only SBC. Easy to tune on the cheap. Nice hold over until I can get a 5th gen. Pretty much decided here. *checks inbox*

Now for the wait..

EDIT: Oh god.. if this holds true for an LC1.. (most guys were doing it with the 3.1 MPFI): http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/v6/485393-v6-top-out-take.html

·
Registered
393 Posts
I wouldn't lose against a 4cyl or 6cyl Firebird lol. If it had a turbo maybe, but in factory form, with 100bhp, those cars were dogggssss.
And you think you would beat me with over 200hp more :rolleyes:

besides, you STILL have not posted a time slip of your Amazing 15 second run. If you were going to lie and have no intention of posting a time slip you could of at least said a 14.9, at least then you would be ALMOST as fast as a 5th gen with a v6.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I wouldn't lose against a 4cyl or 6cyl Firebird lol. If it had a turbo maybe, but in factory form, with 100bhp, those cars were dogggssss.
Eh, my plan is to just cruise it to 75K and then pull the motor and trans. Throw in a used WS6 rear and swap for front discs at project II. Chick owns it now, sent me a message saying that she still had it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Eh, my plan is to just cruise it to 75K and then pull the motor and trans. Throw in a used WS6 rear and swap for front discs at project II. Chick owns it now, sent me a message saying that she still had it.

Meanwhile, there's an 87 TPI 305 Sport Coupe that popped up in Kazoo. Just talked to the guy. Car won't start "for some unknown reason" but other than that it's minor interior things. *shrug* If it ain't rusted I'll look into it (pics are low res so I'm not keeping my hopes up like the Fireturkey)

Either or at this point. Gonna have an F-Body for christmas/graduation (Dec 19th baby) either way. :D
good ones are out there, you just have to take time to find them, if you plan to put a crate motor into it, then Id say get the v6, but make sure its in good shape, like I said I found that gem for $950, so you should be able to find a v6 one in great shape for at least that price. Keep in mind though, if you swap to a v8 and the v6 car has a 5spd hooked up to it, id suggest getting a different trans, the v6, and v8 5 spds are different, 1st gear is much lower on a v6 car. if you want a factory 5spd, make sure you get the later 80's 5spd (world class) or it wont handle much poiwer at all. Id personally suggest a t-56, better gas millage, you can run more aggressive gearing (4.11+) and can pick them up for around $1500

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
good ones are out there, you just have to take time to find them, if you plan to put a crate motor into it, then Id say get the v6, but make sure its in good shape, like I said I found that gem for $950, so you should be able to find a v6 one in great shape for at least that price. Keep in mind though, if you swap to a v8 and the v6 car has a 5spd hooked up to it, id suggest getting a different trans, the v6, and v8 5 spds are different, 1st gear is much lower on a v6 car. if you want a factory 5spd, make sure you get the later 80's 5spd (world class) or it wont handle much poiwer at all. Id personally suggest a t-56, better gas millage, you can run more aggressive gearing (4.11+) and can pick them up for around $1500
TPI 350 was a POS. It's going to be the Fireturkey.

Right now it's an LC1/TH200C Setup. Everything front of the trans tailshaft is coming out in a year or two. No A/C, AM radio w/ FM Modulator, Crank Windows.. But the lady that owned it repainted it three times over the years in factory Gold to "rust proof" and was garage kept. Could be a gem but not getting my hopes up.

Idea for me is to get a TH400 3spd auto and a crate carb'd 350. Pondered going TPI but I didn't want to fuss with an ECM (I hate chasing electrons) and I just enjoy carb tuning overall.

·
Registered
393 Posts
TPI 350 was a POS. It's going to be the Fireturkey.

Right now it's an LC1/TH200C Setup. Everything front of the trans tailshaft is coming out in a year or two. No A/C, AM radio w/ FM Modulator, Crank Windows.. But the lady that owned it repainted it three times over the years in factory Gold to "rust proof" and was garage kept. Could be a gem but not getting my hopes up.

Idea for me is to get a TH400 3spd auto and a crate carb'd 350. Pondered going TPI but I didn't want to fuss with an ECM (I hate chasing electrons) and I just enjoy carb tuning overall.
Should be a nice weekend warrior! You could put a TBI 305 in it :lol:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Should be a nice weekend warrior! You could put a TBI 305 in it :lol:
Heck yeah. But it's going to be a 350 (Or early 70s Pontiac 400 LB if I can cram it in there); don't want to steal HBZ's thunder. For now though, it's pay back loans and job hunt. So it'll take up the unused half of the 'rents garage in the mean time while I cruise it for what it's worth.

For once I'm not ashamed to say I'm moving back with the folks. Then again everyone seems to be doing it post grad nowadays. :/

·
Registered
393 Posts
Heck yeah. But it's going to be a 350 (Or early 70s Pontiac 400 LB if I can cram it in there); don't want to steal HBZ's thunder. For now though, it's pay back loans and job hunt. So it'll take up the unused half of the 'rents garage in the mean time while I cruise it for what it's worth.

For once I'm not ashamed to say I'm moving back with the folks. Then again everyone seems to be doing it post grad nowadays. :/
YES! put a pontiac in it! talk about torque!!! and you should go 455 instead, it's basically the same as the 455, meaning it shares the same block size and parts are innerchangable....and yes they do fit, if ppl are getting BBC in there, the pontiac will fit. a 455 with a 6 speed would be niiiiice! throw some edelbrock alum heads on there, a roller cam, and a torker intake and you have a fast fun car!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
YES! put a pontiac in it! talk about torque!!! and you should go 455 instead, it's basically the same as the 455, meaning it shares the same block size and parts are innerchangable....and yes they do fit, if ppl are getting BBC in there, the pontiac will fit. a 455 with a 6 speed would be niiiiice! throw some edelbrock alum heads on there, a roller cam, and a torker intake and you have a fast fun car!
That's the plan. In fact I'm finding that they're about the same price as a SBC 350 in some cases (GM warranty most likely is the culprit here). Need a core swap and all but.. *shrug*

Depends on if I can find another one out there; right now a guy near my 'rents place has one mated to the factory matching Turbo 400. Came out of a Cat; swapped it from 2bbl to 4 but found that he couldn't cram it in the car he was going to use.

Too bad I can only afford the Fireturkey at this point in time; saw a guy in Turkey on TGO do a 502 Ramjet conversion on his 91 GTA. o_o

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/engine-swap/497561-finally-happening-305-502-a-2.html

Probably going to do something like that in a few years.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts