Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My uncle had a new exhaust installed on his Audi a while back and the shop where he had it done told him that the mufflers would break in over two months before sounding their optimum. He said he didn't really notice a change until about a month later when he realized it sounded much better than it had originally.

I'm not crazy about the stock mufflers on my L99. But my question is, should I wait and see if they break in a bit and maybe sound a little better? I've only had the car a week, and maybe put 200 miles on it. I'm just not sure how much merit the fact they need to be broken in has, or whether this would apply to the stock mufflers as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
where's that bs flag? oh here we go... :bs:

i agree, just get a new catback because the stock muffs will never be loud enough ;) i love my SLP loudmouth (technically it's an axle back but it sounds killer, was easy to install, and cheaper than most catbacks.)

·
Registered
381 Posts
its not BS...esp with flowmasters... they clearly state they will get better as they age...

now the OEM and other mufflers..I have no Idea...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I'm thinking of just doing something simple. Might try and find a shop around that will just cut out the mufflers and replace them. I want to keep the stock tune, for the warranty business and my reluctance to deal with handhelp tuners, so I'm worried about the AFM kicking in and making any custom exhaust I get sound ricer when the 4 cylinders cut out. I'm also trying to keep it subtle, so no roars, but I do want my car to turn heads and let people know there's a V8 inside. Also worried about interior cabin noice levels. Ugh, so much to consider!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I'm thinking of just doing something simple. Might try and find a shop around that will just cut out the mufflers and replace them. I want to keep the stock tune, for the warranty business and my reluctance to deal with handhelp tuners, so I'm worried about the AFM kicking in and making any custom exhaust I get sound ricer when the 4 cylinders cut out. I'm also trying to keep it subtle, so no roars, but I do want my car to turn heads and let people know there's a V8 inside. Also worried about interior cabin noice levels. Ugh, so much to consider!
Just so you know when the afm kicks in it is going to sound terrible with certain cat backs but you have options. There are resonators on the stock exhaust to cut back on the sound of the afm when it kicks in. So you can go with an axle back exhaust like the slp loudmouth thats offered through gm which sounds pretty mean. If you go with a cat back corsa sounds good and has those resonators built into the system so the afm wont sound as bad as it will with out them but you will still hear it. This is what I was going to do originally but I opted for the kooks full exhaust( headers high flow cats xpipe and mufflers) and a tune. Supposedly the tune will void the drivetrain warranty but I think its well worth it just for the transmission tune. If you have any more questions feel free to pm me.. i hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
its not BS...esp with flowmasters... they clearly state they will get better as they age...
:werd:

After some miles on my Magnaflow's they are livening right up!! :thumbsup:

And I hope they keep goin' with that!! :lol:

·
Registered
328 Posts
The only reason mufflers get louder with age is the packing blowing out. Traditional Flowmasters have NO packing, so that's bs. The stock Camaro resonators have packing, the mufflers do not. The mufflers work by certian size slots internally tuned to cancel the bad frequencies. That is why the stock mufflers are so large. They are helmholtz resonators, kinda like blowing accross a soda bottle and hearing a sound. That sound helps to cancel out the harsh exhaust noises. Packing type mufflers just absorb the sound and get louder with age.

·
8,984 Posts
I have always heard a difference with glass packed type mufflers, but NEVER with sound deflection type mufflers and like it was explained the glass settles in the case and ALSO after the case is hardened through heating and cooling cycles, it indeed settles in and deepens or mellows.

·
8,984 Posts
It's real dude, noticed it ALOT with the Gibson exhaust on our Trailblazer, it was ricey sounding for the first few months and then it really calmed down and settled in.

I GUESS it could be the computer LEARNING, but I doubt it.

Also with my Background in Materials Engineering, annealing and grain structure changes via heat and cool cycles, I believe it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
We ran some exhaust at the shop..maybe not traditional in a sense... but a filled model..maybe even off brand..and as you stated yes the packing eventually breaks down... no it wont in a welded baffle muffler, they just break ,come loose and make noise.

·
8,984 Posts
I have never seen a deflection type muffler have the deflectors break. No sure what you mean if that is not what you mean.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yep is what dealer said, and I am on my 3rd set now, just had second set replaced under warranty!
First went out around 7k second 27k so we shall see, being a DD I do think the third set sound different.
We ran some exhaust at the shop..maybe not traditional in a sense... but a filled model..maybe even off brand..and as you stated yes the packing eventually breaks down... no it wont in a welded baffle muffler, they just break ,come loose and make noise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts